News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Principality of Sealand

Started by Hurricane Annie, August 18, 2021, 05:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Annie

More subversion from the local library in a small antipodean town. This book was an intriguing and inspirational read. Did they get away with a wild bid for sovereignty - or were they used as a tactical distraction  and diversion by multiple governments ?

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=-RJKzQEACAAJ&source=gbs_book_other_versions

E.J.MonCrieff

As I recall, this was one of a series of forts built during WWII for air defence.  After the war ended, they were abandoned. 

The attempt to declare it an independent state foundered when no-one was willing to recognise it as such.  I think they tried to raise money by selling "passports", and postage stamps and the like.

From time to time, Martello towers (built for coastal defence during the Napoleonic Wars) come up for sale.  Solidly built, they still make good holiday homes.  And recently, I think I've seen an advertisment for an off-shore defence fort somewhere off the south coast of England which has had a heli-pad fitted.  Just the thing for a reclusive Steampunk who needs a Zeppelin mooring....

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: E.J.MonCrieff on August 20, 2021, 07:41:21 AM
As I recall, this was one of a series of forts built during WWII for air defence.  After the war ended, they were abandoned. 

The attempt to declare it an independent state foundered when no-one was willing to recognise it as such.  I think they tried to raise money by selling "passports", and postage stamps and the like.

From time to time, Martello towers (built for coastal defence during the Napoleonic Wars) come up for sale.  Solidly built, they still make good holiday homes.  And recently, I think I've seen an advertisment for an off-shore defence fort somewhere off the south coast of England which has had a heli-pad fitted.  Just the thing for a reclusive Steampunk who needs a Zeppelin mooring....

The book mentions the passports, stamps and royal titles as revenue earners. The Bates became quite inventive with their renovations and with income earners. It must have been entertaining reading in the news papers and magazines

Looking at them, the Martello Tower forts have a strong appeal. They would make marvelous holiday homes. There's an air of hedonism  about them. Helicoptering in with the hampers  of luxury  goods to hunker down. Imagine to the inventions it would inspire while the wild wind and waves battered the walls

E.J.MonCrieff

I had quite forgotten about the royal titles!  How very Steampunk!

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: E.J.MonCrieff on August 20, 2021, 10:15:54 AM
I had quite forgotten about the royal titles!  How very Steampunk!

Imagine the scope for infighting, feuding, Royal revelations  and live televised tears and recriminations.

They cast me out on a limb...  I felt all at sea

A Royal portrait

They had me taped and recorded my most intimate moments

Millions squandered on jet set lifestyle and helicopter hopping

Synistor 303

And just like real royal families they could marry each other and have inbred children! That would keep the titles and money all in the family...

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: Synistor 303 on August 21, 2021, 12:32:26 AM
And just like real royal families they could marry each other and have inbred children! That would keep the titles and money all in the family...

It takes a village to raise a child.  ;) especially when everyone has the same surname