News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Victorian Obsession with Railways

Started by von Corax, September 08, 2021, 02:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Corax

Michael Buerk, host of Absolute History, explores the effect that the burgeoning rail network had on Victorian Britain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJDjfkP7Zp0
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Miranda.T

Unfortunately the video does not seem to be available in the UK. However, anyone with access to the UK's Channel 5 catch-up service could access Ian Hisplop's recent Trains That Changed the World. It's worth catching the first episode just to see Flying Scotsman's dynamometer car (definitely designed by a Steampunk!)

Yours,
Miranda.

Mercury Wells

Not sure if this should be here? :-  Barmouth Bridge: 'Trigger's broom' bridge to get £30m upgrade.

MOD EDIT: I'd say this is as good a place for it as any. :)
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

E.J.MonCrieff

Quote from: Mercury Wells on September 11, 2021, 11:54:07 PM
Not sure if this should be here? :-  Barmouth Bridge: 'Trigger's broom' bridge to get £30m upgrade.

It says a lot for Victorian engineering that bits of the structure can be removed when damaged, and replaced when necessary, without the need to close the structure for an extended period of time. 

Mercury Wells

Quote from: E.J.MonCrieff on September 12, 2021, 04:54:42 PM
Quote from: Mercury Wells on September 11, 2021, 11:54:07 PM

It says a lot for Victorian engineering that bits of the structure can be removed when damaged, and replaced when necessary, without the need to close the structure for an extended period of time.  

Real shame, that they're not going to repair the drawbridge/swingbridge.  :(
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.