News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Ideas for my dollhouse?

Started by mizzarrogh, September 23, 2021, 12:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzarrogh

I am building on my 1:12 American Dollhouse, it's going to be a Victorian/Belle époque/Oskarian home for my dolls and a little sewingshop on the yard was my taught.

I have most parts for those, but i concider adding in some steampunk elements to it in order to make it more interesting to play with, Do You guys have any ideas?
It's not going to be a total remake and i already have the dollhouse and a lot of furniture i just want to add in some elements that looks like they could had been there in a full scale home.  :)

SeVeNeVeS

Dollhouses are really not my thing, sorry, but could you possibly post a few pictures of the project? I feel it could really help people more in tune to visualize what is involved and thus enable the forum collective to mind meld for any suggestions.......

Cora Courcelle

Use a two inch diameter cog and make a steampunk chandelier for one of the rooms; bits of cocktail sticks painted white make ideal 1/12th scale candles.
Add some pipes and tubing to the sewing machines in the sewing shop so they look as if they are steam-powered, bits of press studs make good looking gauges, although you'll have to paint them or at least dirty them down.
Artwork is an easy way to give the feel - just add a picture of a dirigible and a few air kraken!
How about a gun rack full of steampunk weaponry (and just think of the fun you'll have making those ...)
But mostly enjoy your miniature world, over which you have total control!  Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

(Yes, as you can probably tell I really enjoy my 1/12th and 1/24th scale dolls houses and room boxes)
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

mizzarrogh

Thank You!
I think i may hawe some clock parts around i always save cogwheels, small and large ones for the projects!

Is it ok to post pictures of only the parts i plan to use? I hawe not yet assembled the big dollhouse since i could not reach the town and buy paint yet.
I only hawe my action camera here since my cellphone camera is brooken.

Where can i upload the pictures?

Synistor 303

Would love to see pictures - you have to have them on a separate photo platform to show them in here. I use 'imgbb'.

I am in the process of making a tiny house for a Christmas decoration. I'm making it out of cardboard - (it is a challenge from a Christmas decorating group.)

Since we are still in lockdown with nothing to do, I am going all out with the Christmas decorations this year. Don't judge me - it's something to do! So far I have 'mercury glassed' a finial I made, painted a small Hornby electric train in a blue and silver Christmas theme, painted a snowy 'window' (that will replace a very un-Christmas-like painting on the wall near the tree), disassembled 3 hideous 1980s chandeliers and cleaned every single filthy crystal then re-strung them in small strands to hang on a tree, and now I am making little cottages to fit in glass jars to make miniature snowy Christmas scenes.

I know I fall into the 'Crazy Christmas Nutjob' category, but I'm having fun in lockdown, so there! I am not sure if it is 'art' or 'model making' or tat, so unsure if I can put them up in here...

von Corax

Quote from: Synistor 303 on September 24, 2021, 01:25:27 AM
I know I fall into the 'Crazy Christmas Nutjob' category, but I'm having fun in lockdown, so there! I am not sure if it is 'art' or 'model making' or tat, so unsure if I can put them up in here...
Go ahead! Modern Christmas is a Victorian innovation, after all.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: mizzarrogh on September 23, 2021, 04:36:17 PM

Where can i upload the pictures?

Create an account at https://imgbb.com/

It's free and reliable.

Once the photo is uploaded I usually click on it and from the dropdown option list select copy BBCode then paste here.

Sorontar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDQ-sDDqWvk

A guide to making a cheap version of Howl's Moving Castle that might help you add elements to your dollhouse.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Synistor 303

Quote from: Sorontar on September 24, 2021, 06:51:23 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDQ-sDDqWvk

A guide to making a cheap version of Howl's Moving Castle that might help you add elements to your dollhouse.

Sorontar

That is WAAAYYY too much work for me! It's a pretty impressive model! (Although just let me add that the maker's diet is seriously bad...)

I have been collecting carboard, as I now know that there is cardboard and there is cardboard! I only had thick stuff to make my little house, so I am searching for better stuff...

mizzarrogh

I will take some pictures whan i proceed a bit more on the build so i hawe something to show up other than just a pile of plywood and a box with my dolls, To be honest i think it's a bit enthusiastic,so i can't promise anythong, but i would absolutly love to make a Christmas setup wich did include both the dollhouse and some of the vintage model trains and lights, that had been totaly awsome!!

However, i just ordered a big set of baby toys plastic Pipeline from China, i think they will do great once primed and painted in some metal like coating.
Hopefuly one can glue on some plastic pieces wich looks like rivets. For some reason i am a bit weak for heavy industrial pipework with lots of rivets.  :)
(It will probably take a few weeks for it to arrive and like another month to waith for the import costoms clearance... But anyway, i hope it will turn out as i hope  :) )

Miranda.T

Maybe a couple of robot butlers? At some point add a basement level with a laboratory? Airship mooring tower on the roof? Observatory in the attic? Add a conservatory with a few triffids?

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. Synistor, those Christmas projects sound great - I do hope we get too see piccys at some point.

Synistor 303

Quote from: mizzarrogh on September 25, 2021, 06:56:03 PM
I will take some pictures whan i proceed a bit more on the build so i hawe something to show up other than just a pile of plywood and a box with my dolls, To be honest i think it's a bit enthusiastic,so i can't promise anythong, but i would absolutly love to make a Christmas setup wich did include both the dollhouse and some of the vintage model trains and lights, that had been totaly awsome!!

However, i just ordered a big set of baby toys plastic Pipeline from China, i think they will do great once primed and painted in some metal like coating.
Hopefuly one can glue on some plastic pieces wich looks like rivets. For some reason i am a bit weak for heavy industrial pipework with lots of rivets.  :)
(It will probably take a few weeks for it to arrive and like another month to waith for the import costoms clearance... But anyway, i hope it will turn out as i hope  :) )

You can use thick glue, or some other texture stuff to make rivets - silver 'puffy' paint would do the job quite well and would be quick!

mizzarrogh

Thank You guys!

I actualy hawe a greenhouse kit and the house has a tower that i think would do for some astronomy equipment.
A Lab. cellar would be a realy nice addition!
I definitly will take a closer look at that.

(Sorry if i made spelling misstkaes, my toaster just caught on fire while i was typing...  But i am only deeply thankful the house did not burn down.)

Synistor 303

Have made a Tudor-ish house from cardboard because I was bored and in lockdown and I wanted to see if I could. Will incorporate it into Christmas decorations somehow. I have some little LED tealights to light the interior and make it look like flickering firelight. When it was half constructed I had the 'genius' idea of lining the inside with silver leaf which would then magnify the effect of the tealights... If only I had thought to do it when I was dealing with little cut-out bits of flat cardboard - would have saved me lots of time and stress. It did work, though, so at least there is that, but the blimmen thing continues to shed little bits of silver every time I move it.

Sorontar

Wow! That's marvelous work. About 10cm tall?

Synistor 303

It's probably double that height. I made a tiny 'stone' cottage first, but it was a bit rough, so I thought I'd try and do a bit better. Bored in lockdown.

madamemarigold

Some gears (either actual metal or bead like) even cardboard cut into shape and painted could be added onto the exterior maybe? Could also take shiskibob sticks? Or something similar and paint them to look like brass piping and could use them on the interior.
I keep remembering that bathroom that gentleman made that he made it look like the interior of a ship with rivets and pot hole window etc. It was so steampunk-tacular.... Man, as if I didn't have enough SP stuff started now I am rabbit trailing into the SP Submariner house idea!!!!! I am going to be in so much trouble..... ::) ;D

Synistor 303

I have been working on my book nook (a little 'room' designed to fit on a bookshelf in between the books). Mine will be a Steampunk laboratory room. I made a couple of books (from some little notepads from Christmas crackers), about hunting the Kraken and how to modify Kraken. They are old books, so a bit worn...

Sorontar

So small, even a book worm can read them!

Sorontar

Prof Marvel

My Dear Synisotr -
that house and books are lovely work!
thanks for posting them!

yhs
prf mrvl
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

mizzarrogh

Thank You guys!
I really like the maritime theme.

It came to my mind that i have like a half ton cardboard from packaging material i was about to burn in a bonfire outdoor, but now i changed the plans for some of it!

Miranda.T

Quote from: Synistor 303 on January 20, 2022, 11:04:25 PM
I have been working on my book nook (a little 'room' designed to fit on a bookshelf in between the books). Mine will be a Steampunk laboratory room. I made a couple of books (from some little notepads from Christmas crackers), about hunting the Kraken and how to modify Kraken. They are old books, so a bit worn...

Oh my goodness, they are gorgeous and such fine detail in such a tiny space! You are indeed most talented. And I do love the idea of a 'nook' and very much looking forwards to seeing your miniature laboratory.

Yours,
Miranda.

Hez

Any new pictures from mizzarrogh?  or any of the book nook by Synistor 303?

Synistor 303

I am in the process of building the walls - have to put them together and paint everything, then figure out how to light it - should be next week sometime that I can get some photos... (providing 'life' doesn't get in the way).

Hez