News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Mythological sea serpents and monsters from the deep

Started by Hurricane Annie, October 02, 2021, 10:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are Sea Serpents and monsters from the deep Real?

Yes
3 (33.3%)
No
1 (11.1%)
Maybe
7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Hurricane Annie

John Zybourne

I often find myself wondering about the deeps and what denizens might be found there. Most of the seas are a complete mystery. Have any steampunks tried to build a submarine? I wonder...

Hurricane Annie

Here is an interesting discussion on  international Sea Serpent theories. It gives quite credible explanations 

https://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2016/08/great-american-sea-serpent/

Synistor 303

Jellyfish have 'blooms', where they suddenly appear en-mass. Those in the first shot are just normal size - the photographer is between the jellyfish and the divers, which makes the jellyfish look bigger... Lots of stinger stuff in the ocean, not just jellyfish, and different people will react in different ways.

WynnDark

Setting aside those beings that may be incorporeal, or not entirely corporeal, the ocean is left with wonderous and unknown creatures a plenty. I agree that the jellyfish above are simply closer to the photographer, though they Could be sizable as jellyfish get rather large in some cases. Also the article above makes some solid cases for Some of the sightings, though I find it bemusing that people think actual experienced sailors would mistake seals for a sea serpent, just as incredulous as people claiming manatees are the source of mermaid tales.

So are sea serpent's real? There are certainly creatures of the deep that might terrify as readily as mesmerize, and there are dangerous creatures in the hungry waters of the world...so yes, though perhaps not as we generally expect them to be. Most such beings also aren't all that interested in eating humans, we just aren't nutritious enough generally speaking for the larger predators to bother with. That doesn't mean some of them won't play with us, and sometimes that is quite lethal for us fragile humans.

Miranda.T

A recent investigation came to conclusion Nessie may be a giant eel - apparently the water of Loch Ness contains significant amounts of eel DNA.

Yours,
Miranda.

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: Miranda.T on October 05, 2021, 07:57:36 PM
A recent investigation came to conclusion Nessie may be a giant eel - apparently the water of Loch Ness contains significant amounts of eel DNA.

Yours,
Miranda.

Dear Miranda, there is logic in that conclusion. Larger species of eels can grow  to 10-15 feet. Shorter eels can  have a wider girth and weigh over 200 kg. Having witnesses eels leaping and wheeling on the water surface,  it's possible they  could be inspiration for an over enthusiastic imagination.