News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Allhallowtide 2021. Any ideas?

Started by J. Wilhelm, October 05, 2021, 01:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Wilhelm

Dear ladies and gentlemen, it's that time of year again. The gateway between the land of the living and the land of the dead will soon open again. Have you got any ideas?

Naturally, safety in the face of the current plague which fouls our air with miasma is of utter importance. Open air meetings are preferred over indoor meetings. The CDC recommends using a large fan to draw air from one end of the house / flat and opening all other windows to draw fresh air in, and thus ventilate the miasma away. Any thoughts?

For myself, time is very constrained, yet still have Saturday 30 night and all Sunday 31st to do something. I don't dare wear any attire for the job on Saturday, on account I still work at the shop on a rough neighborhood (only on Saturdays though), and thus it's rather inconvenient, but after proper decontamination protocols the evening is mine (assuming I just don't fall asleep from tiredness). Sunday is much more convenient and this time coincides with All Hallows Eve.

The thing about my costume, is that I realized that I already have a mask and a respirator available and perfectly integrated to any costume, which more likely than not will just be Lt. Gen. Bahlmann's Luftschiffengel uniform. Either respirator or mask will take care of the real evil spirits. The only thing to do is to avoid large crowds, otherwise, I'm prepared!

Miranda.T

Looking forwards to seeing your completed outfit  :). Having done nothing more than carve a couple of pumpkins last year, we are really looking forwards to Halloween. We're not the only ones - a house down the road already has its decorations up!

Yours,
Miranda.

Synistor 303

It's difficult to be inspired by Halloween stuff when the sun is shining, the birds are singing and the spring blossom flowering... Halloween at Springtime is just wrong.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Miranda.T on October 05, 2021, 08:02:23 PM
Looking forwards to seeing your completed outfit  :). Having done nothing more than carve a couple of pumpkins last year, we are really looking forwards to Halloween. We're not the only ones - a house down the road already has its decorations up!

Yours,
Miranda.

It's funny I've only worn the complete uniform a couple of times, but the individual components have been worn many times, except for the blouse. I have replaced the shorts twice, with the first one worn out already. I don't know if I have time, but I'm thinking of re-ordering the suede braces, because the original have stretched over time and are no longer in pristine condition. Being an eBay purchase, I think I may have another set on time., but I have to sew the buttons on the shorts and order or reattach the stars and bars shield. There's some work to do yet.

Miranda.T

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on October 06, 2021, 04:38:43 PM

It's funny I've only worn the complete uniform a couple of times, but the individual components have been worn many times, except for the blouse. I have replaced the shorts twice, with the first one worn out already. I don't know if I have time, but I'm thinking of re-ordering the suede braces, because the original have stretched over time and are no longer in pristine condition. Being an eBay purchase, I think I may have another set on time., but I have to sew the buttons on the shorts and order or reattach the stars and bars shield. There's some work to do yet.

At least there's some time yet to pull things together.

Quote from: Synistor 303 on October 06, 2021, 01:47:57 AM
It's difficult to be inspired by Halloween stuff when the sun is shining, the birds are singing and the spring blossom flowering... Halloween at Springtime is just wrong.

If one was part of the Addams Family clan, that would sound truly horrendous...

Yours,
Miranda.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Miranda.T on October 06, 2021, 07:01:04 PM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on October 06, 2021, 04:38:43 PM

At least there's some time yet to pull things together.

Quote from: Synistor 303 on October 06, 2021, 01:47:57 AM

If one was part of the Addams Family clan, that would sound truly horrendous...

Yours,
Miranda.

*snips flower buds off stems*

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Miranda.T on October 05, 2021, 08:02:23 PM
Looking forwards to seeing your completed outfit  :). Having done nothing more than carve a couple of pumpkins last year, we are really looking forwards to Halloween. We're not the only ones - a house down the road already has its decorations up!

Yours,
Miranda.

Well. I've ordered a full set of replacement for the Luftschiffengel trachten shorts. All will arrive one week before Halloween. This includes new leather braces, shield patch and shorts. I have a second fur hat which is lighter than the original, but I'll have to stop going any further on account that I've lost 7 hours of work on Saturdays, as the shop in the ghetto has closed permanently.

Also I fear I have developed a small retinal tear as a result of an accidental self inflicted impact on my only good eye a month or so ago. So I'll have to pay for a doctor's appointment out of pocket.   :-[

Gregor

I had an idea once, but it died of loneliness.

Due to an offer I couldn't refuse, I sold many parts of 2021's get-up at the last minute to some-one who waited to the last second
for a chance at their workplace Halloween Party Contest (They wound up being Fox-lite from the Masked-Singer season 1, no picys yet).

Basically I just donned my usual SP uniform with a little nicer kilt than usual and a Civil War coat that is a tad to tight for me to keep.
Nothing fancy, over-the-top, crafty.  For me, this is like one step short of gluing a gear-on-it-and-call-it-steampunk.

And I just showed up for work.  Look! I'm still sleeping!   ;)  Our HR assist wanted a picy, I'm like  OK. Sure.  Evidently I entered a contest here, and wound up on the Company intrAweb.  LOL.   After a day of working with High Voltage capacitors, mechanical chest thumpers, and paper-work, I am off to the pub next-door.
Its a day like this that helps me appreciate what I do, where I do it, who I do it with, and most importantly who I do it for.

I hope your Outfits (excruciatingly planned or as last minute as a black pointy hat and a broomstick) help you to a Happy Halloween.

Cheers! - gregor
Could somebody Pleeease explain to my mother that it is steam PUNK not steam PIMP!?!

von Corax

A bit last minute, but here's an article I found today on the history and traditions of Hallowe'en.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

I owe you all apologies. I'm afraid that I didn't get a chance to don the costume this Halloween. :'( Adult life sucks. I came back too late from work on Saturday (naturally the boss had a special request for me moving out a refrigerator from the shop in the bad neighborhood, which we're closing  ::) ), and so I had too many chores concentrate on Sunday to try to even find a party to crash (typically a neighbor or friends). *Sigh* The good news is that the costume has new shiny parts and this Saturday was my last Saturday working at the front desk of that shop. No more chasing homeless people and drug addicts of the shop entry. From now on I have saturdays off, thus more time to rest, think, build, and plan for a new way to make money. I'll still continue to work at my "factory" job in the middle of the week.

However, much to our surprise, neighborhood kids were out in force around 6 pm today, on Sunday (normally on "school nights" kids don't go out at night, and if a Friday or Saturday is available in the vicinity, then that will be their Halloween (meaning yesterday night). So my roommate had a Jawa costume and got to hand out full sized candy bars (!) to about 60 kids between 5 and 6 pm, just before sundown. He figured this would be the first Halloween for many since the start of the pandemic.

Monday and Tuesday is Day of the Dead , but I have to work till night. I may be able to set up a compact altar or some such. It'll be late at night after work, if I can get some "Bread of the Dead" and a candle. Maybe I'll get dressed up and take some shots of the uniform.

Hurricane Annie

The local supermarket here had Halloween packs of mandarin fruit. What sad sacks.  Halloween was effectively cancelled in New Zealand due to covid restrictions. Looks like Yuletide is going the same way.

The upside of that is it serves are a reminder to what is really important. The gifts of love and familial bonds

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on November 01, 2021, 06:17:37 AM

The local supermarket here had Halloween packs of mandarin fruit. What sad sacks.  Halloween was effectively cancelled in New Zealand due to covid restrictions. Looks like Yuletide is going the same way.

The upside of that is it serves are a reminder to what is really important. The gifts of love and familial bonds

Time to insert this fake advert for Halloween "fun sized salads"

Synistor 303

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on November 01, 2021, 04:31:26 PM

That was funny!

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on November 01, 2021, 04:31:26 PM

The local supermarket here had Halloween packs of mandarin fruit. What sad sacks.  Halloween was effectively cancelled in New Zealand due to covid restrictions. Looks like Yuletide is going the same way.

Oh THANK YOU Lady. I want the salad  they got too!!!

Said no child ever...  >:(  :'(  :-\

chironex

I heard through Faceplant that my city had TorT as usual, and people were going on and on about how keen they were and how many people they were getting through, and only one family arrived.

I may miss the 40+ AUD I spent on candy.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

Sorontar

Gave out about 50 bags of sweets to kids this year (each bag pegged to a rope across the end of the driveway, so kids didn't have to come to the front door as per state government instructions). Rewore a simple Baron Samedi costume I had. 3 boys said I was scary then 1 girl said she disagreed. Not sure which was better.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

J. Wilhelm

Seems that global supply woes were hitting hard this Halloween. I don't understand what the supply chains have to do with in-house baked bread, though. I had not noticed the absence, since I'm so busy and throughout the week, I did see the usual assortment of plastic pumpkins and skeletons, and even a Day of the Dead Ken and Barbie doll set (!) in the super, but I realized that the usual assortment of Mexican Day of the Dead pastries was not to be found anywhere in the 3 or 4 supermarkets I frequent. Usually, there will be a pastry sale during November 1st,as the chains need to clear the Halloween paraphernalia from the shelves, and pastries are the last to be cleared (they can't be warehoused again).

No altar this year.  Humbug!

von Corax

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on November 03, 2021, 04:53:07 PM
Seems that global supply woes were hitting hard this Halloween. I don't understand what the supply chains have to do with in-house baked bread, though. I had not noticed the absence, since I'm so busy and throughout the week, I did see the usual assortment of plastic pumpkins and skeletons, and even a Day of the Dead Ken and Barbie doll set (!) in the super, but I realized that the usual assortment of Mexican Day of the Dead pastries was not to be found anywhere in the 3 or 4 supermarkets I frequent. Usually, there will be a pastry sale during November 1st,as the chains need to clear the Halloween paraphernalia from the shelves, and pastries are the last to be cleared (they can't be warehoused again).

There's no flour or yeast to be had, because everyone was teaching themselves to bake during the lockdown.
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Synistor 303

Quote from: von Corax on November 03, 2021, 06:14:38 PM

There's no flour or yeast to be had, because everyone was teaching themselves to bake during the lockdown.

I have to say, as someone who has made their own bread for at least 20 years, I was more than a little peeved when the masses started buying up all the supplies of bakers flour and yeast... Very annoying!

J. Wilhelm

No altar this year.  Humbug!

I'm at the supermarket right now. Not exactly devoid of flower, but definitely not fully stocked either. Does it look like they were fighting for the flour?  ;D

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Synistor 303 on November 04, 2021, 12:07:00 AM

No altar this year.  Humbug!

I have to say, as someone who has made their own bread for at least 20 years, I was more than a little peeved when the masses started buying up all the supplies of bakers flour and yeast... Very annoying!

We got a bit here. Which one do you need?  ;D

Sorontar

That looks like a warehouse, not a supermarket! Does it sell coffins as well?
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Sorontar on November 04, 2021, 08:21:41 AM
That looks like a warehouse, not a supermarket! Does it sell coffins as well?

Well, no, this is a medium-large-ish supermarket; do you say that for the corrugated steel ceiling?  Most local supermarkets here are very tall structures with that type of roof.

PS. Perhaps these photos give a better perspective of the shop. Supermarkets started moving to this larger format in the mid 1990s. This particular shop was built in 1993-4, if memory serves me right. It replaced an old 1970s shop which was much smaller.

Synistor 303

Thankfully, the Great Bread-Making Debacle ended some months ago and supplies are now really good because in anticipation of the nouveau bread bakers continuing to bake, supply was vastly increased. I even got my hands on a really high protein flour which usually isn't available at my little supermarket. (Didn't make any difference to the my daily loaf or the Brioche, but the croissants were much better.)

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Synistor 303 on November 04, 2021, 10:31:21 PM
Thankfully, the Great Bread-Making Debacle ended some months ago and supplies are now really good because in anticipation of the nouveau bread bakers continuing to bake, supply was vastly increased. I even got my hands on a really high protein flour which usually isn't available at my little supermarket. (Didn't make any difference to the my daily loaf or the Brioche, but the croissants were much better.)

There's only **one** thing I'm going to miss about going to work to the shop in the rough part of town, starting this Saturday: the giant French-Mex palmieres that the local supermarket made in that neighborhood:

This is worth making the half hour trip by bus to the ghetto. It's larger than a doughnut, and i haven't figured out how I'm going to replace them without taking the bus back to that area.

Since I didn't take any meaningful pics this Halloween, I'll just cut and paste this picture instead...

Someone on an archeology account on Twitter wrongly stated that "La Catrina" was the symbol for death in Mexico and posted this picture. "La Catrina" or better stated"La Calavera Catrina"  ("The Elegant Skull")  was a political cartoon, carved on a zinc plate by José Guadalupe Posada. He critiqued wealthy Europeanized Mexicans during the accelerated industrialization program of President Porfirio Diaz. La Catrina was a reminder that though we may dress in the latest Parisian fashions of 1900, death in the end will take us all.