News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Goodbye old Friends

Started by Maets, October 11, 2021, 01:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maets

For a number of years, Brass Goggles consumed many hours of my life. It was a wonderful place for me. I learned a tremendous amount and and thoroughly enjoyed all of the people. Several things transpired and I drifted completely away. For that I am sorry. Its good to see that it is still here.
Several big changes have occurred.
Covid hit us all, so there's that.
I turned my focus to almost entirely making airships.
I got cancer that is now stage 4 and terminal. My time is limited.

In 2019 I began writing a novel based on he steampunk world of Oceanus. It is a world of oceans and islands, where the best way to get around is by airship. The novel became a trilogy. The Voyages of the Airship El Dorado.
The Kraken's Kin introduces us to Captain Salem and the crew of the El Dorado as they battle the evil Gov.
Follow the Sunset leads the crew on a quest for gold and riches.
Salem's War starts with a simple transport job, but the pirates end up deeper into it, than they ever imagined.
The books are currently only available on Etsy on my site "Ed Kidera". Check me out on Instagram @edkidera.

Take care everyone. Life is shorter than you think, so you better use it.

Mercury Wells

Bloody hell!  :(

Take care of yourself too. [hugs]
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

James Harrison

Heck  :o :(

I'm sorry to hear this. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Major W Chase (rtd)

I'm sorry, you are refused permission to have Stage 4 Cancer. Just remade an account solely to tell you how moved I am by your post, I hope whatever you do from here on in, you are comfortable, and pain free, with access to all the vices you hold most dear. Your name will undoubtedly live in in your works.

Wishing you clear skies.

mizzarrogh

J. Wilhelm

Dear Ed, I'm sorry to hear that life dealt you those cards. Please know that I always admired your skill and and compassion, from the little I knew about your life. You will always be a great member of Brassgoggles.

I'll go check your Instagram; I only knew your Etsy shop. Did you get to post or publish the trilogy?

spunk

I'd like to wish you and your family a lot of strength in the coming period, but try to keep enjoying the nice and the small things...

frances

Rockula

I can only reiterate the sentiments of my fellows above.
Take care and make the most of what you have.
You have done some astounding work that now sits proudly in homes all over the world.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

RJBowman

You need to get the books available somewhere other than Etsy. Your creations are the part of you that lives on.

MWBailey

I have loved your posts and projects, and will continue so to do.

You will be sorely missed, but still, do not give up hope. It ain't over yet!

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

mizzarrogh

My English are not as good as i wish it was...

Honestly this was hard for me to read and digest, i know how it feel to loose somebody close in this sad way, but as other people said here it's certanly not ower yet and i think You are made of a lot harder material and we are here with Your side! I know for sure You are the man to Show it an ironside and give it a good hayman!
Stay strong and many hugs from a could Scandinavia!

Cora Courcelle

I am so sorry to hear this.  My thoughts are with you and your family.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Rockula

R.I.P.
17th October 2021.

Posted by his cousin Will on the 18th...

''One of the incredible blessings of my life has been and continues to be having cousins who were almost like siblings to me and my sisters.  Some of my early-life friends recall that my cousins lived on one side of my Grandparents' home while my family lived on the other side. We often convened for dinner at Grandma's, played with one another with nearly no supervision, roaming through the woods and farm buildings as though time didn't exist, making up life an hour or day at a time, so free from worries.
My cousin, Ed, five years older, was always out ahead. He drove the go carts like a demon, learned to scuba dive in our pond, disappearing beneath the surface of the water for time periods which we, as farm kids, had never seen, and could play the guitar like a Beattle, etc. He would become an oceanographic engineer and an incredible metal artist, Dad to two wonderful young women, and husband to an amazing woman and artist in her own right.   When you hear a man who openly shares how much he adores his wife and children, which he did many times, you know they have a very special thing.  And that's the stuff that can't really ever get taken away.  But on days like today, you can't help but feel shaky about that because you just don't want to lose anything so cherished.
We lost Ed today, at 66 from prostate cancer. He used this terrible, unwanted experience as he approached his passing in a truly graceful and generous way, continuing to complete creative projects, to share music he had written, sung and recorded, and taking time to create space with many of us that just naturally gave us a chance to laugh, muse about life and politics and to say important and kind things to one another that ordinary life doesn't always afford up.   I appreciate every time I have the opportunity to learn this and boy have I had those opportunities.
As crushed as everyone is, I have no doubt that his passing will not result in any serious instability for anyone who enjoyed and relied upon him.  The strength he offered are largely already baked into who his loved ones are.  That's not to minimize their tremendous heart ache, but those gifts do not disappear when people pass, just as I've been reflecting on about my Grandmother.   
So, another rich set of lessons drawn from unwanted, very challenging life experiences....  Those of us who may know in advance that our time on earth is limited have amazing opportunities in how to connect with people in our lives, to be intentional about what we do and leave behind.  He did that and he did it beautifully.  Just two days ago I told him that I hope he was deeply gratified by how he used this strange and unwanted opportunity.  It was absolutely lovely and he served as an example in yet another way.  I share that because some of us will have that opportunity also.  For those of us who may not have such an advanced warning, it behooves us to find those opportunities in our ordinary daily lives to be loving, generous and honest in ways that may surprise others but that will build a scaffolding of support and love long after we aren't physically present.
Shortly after my Grandmother died some 30 years ago, many of us in the family gathered at a condo in Delray Beach, FL.  Ed was living nearby at that time as he was launching his engineering career. He had identified some underwater areas where lobsters hung out and where he could catch them by hand. one evening he showed up with a prolific spread for a family lobster feast, beach style, which was absolutely unique for our midwest farm family. So, I'm reminded again to take time to make those moments as a part of ordinary life, to surprise our loved ones with our generosity and gratitude.  That's the stuff that lasts and lasts.''
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

von Corax

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Caledonian

i don't know what to say... so many thoughts and not one to be put into words. my thoughts are with his friends and family. maets will be missed dearly.
Passion is like a Peatfire

von Corax

By unanimous agreement, the Board of Moderators have promoted Ed "Maets" Kidera to the rank of Hero of the Realm, where he joins the late Doc "Datamancer" Nagy.
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

James Harrison

Quote from: von Corax on October 23, 2021, 04:27:44 PM
By unanimous agreement, the Board of Moderators have promoted Ed "Maets" Kidera to the rank of Hero of the Realm, where he joins the late Doc "Datamancer" Nagy.

I think that's a touching and fitting tribute to a forum member who will be much missed.  Fair winds and following seas. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Mercury Wells

Quote from: James Harrison on October 23, 2021, 07:01:53 PM

I think that's a touching and fitting tribute to a forum member who will be much missed.  Fair winds and following seas. 

Hear, Hear!!! I agree wholeheartly.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Synistor 303

Sir Henry

A life full of love and creativity is a life well lived. maets will be missed but will also serve as an inspiration to those of us he left behind.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Gregor

I am saddened by the passing of such an inspirational gent.

Fair-Forward my friend, fair-forward.
Could somebody Pleeease explain to my mother that it is steam PUNK not steam PIMP!?!

Prof Marvel

MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

SeVeNeVeS

I've had a few months away from BG. This is sad news indeed.

When I first joined 10 odd years ago, Maets was one of the main members in tactile that both inspired and encouraged my fledgling creations.

Although not active for a few years, his posts and Airship builds will always be in my mind, may I wish his family and friends my sincere condolences and may he rest in peace.

Sad, very sad, I will raise a glass in his memory.

Ed "Maets" Kidera

maduncle

Thank you for doing this - well deserved.
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"