News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

1796 American Apple Pie Recipe( + A Medieval England One)

Started by chicar, November 12, 2021, 12:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicar

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: chicar on November 12, 2021, 12:25:06 PM
Indépendence  Cook Off:

https://youtu.be/NxTF8MTWDCE

Neither of these pies look anything like a modern American pie, except for the crust of the 1700s pie. At this point I would probably use the Medieval English filling with the Colonial American crust.

For comparison, let's look at a century old recipe -notice the use of sugar for the filling and the presentation of the apples themselves :

Apple Pie Recipe - Classic All American Apple Pie - 100 Year Old Recipe - The Hillbilly Kitchen

J. Wilhelm

A little anecdote of why I like apple pies. I have a memory of my grandmother baking an apple pie inside an RV... WHILE THE RV WAS IN MOTION. I was probably around 7 years old, and we were driving from Canada, back into the US. The issue being that we had a good number of apples - I think "Granny Smith" apples and we could not cross the border with the raw apples. But there was no restriction on baked apples. The oven ran with LP Gas, so it wasn't affected by the motion of the vehicle, though I still don't know what my grandmother did to keep the pie steady inside the tiny oven!