News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The Book

Started by Bartholomew Thatch, February 26, 2022, 03:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartholomew Thatch

I'm working on a book, which I originally described as Steampunk, but after some research I'm not quite sure anymore. I still believe it can be categorized as steampunk, but with genres such as dieselpunk and Gaslamp fantasy I get a bit confused. 

There is a lot of steam power in the book, but there is also diesel and eventually a rare mineral that has the ability for steam automatons to become alive with consciousness. I was just trying to think of the word for when a robot comes alive... is it sanctioned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2qWCMVRzNk&t=240s

Anyways, after watching the youtube video I realize my book isn't punk in the sense of addressing historical issues either, but it is punky altering historic technology to be more advance. Who doesn't like steam power rifles and the classic airships.

Then there's that little voice saying, "Quit making a big deal about the genre and finish the book so everyone can enjoy the story." This doesn't present a good platform for discussion in the forum, but I'm sure I'll post some new topics later when they come up. Stay tuned to for snapshots of the book. Maybe we can discuss ideas and possibly ways to publish.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Bartholomew Thatch on February 26, 2022, 03:34:08 AM
I'm working on a book, which I originally described as Steampunk, but after some research I'm not quite sure anymore. I still believe it can be categorized as steampunk, but with genres such as dieselpunk and Gaslamp fantasy I get a bit confused. 

There is a lot of steam power in the book, but there is also diesel and eventually a rare mineral that has the ability for steam automatons to become alive with consciousness. I was just trying to think of the word for when a robot comes alive... is it sanctioned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2qWCMVRzNk&t=240s

Anyways, after watching the youtube video I realize my book isn't punk in the sense of addressing historical issues either, but it is punky altering historic technology to be more advance. Who doesn't like steam power rifles and the classic airships.

Then there's that little voice saying, "Quit making a big deal about the genre and finish the book so everyone can enjoy the story." This doesn't present a good platform for discussion in the forum, but I'm sure I'll post some new topics later when they come up. Stay tuned to for snapshots of the book. Maybe we can discuss ideas and possibly ways to publish.

Congratulations on your new book! By all means bring whichever material you want out for discussion. Most people will post excerpts from a novel or short stories in the "Textual" section of the forum (this is "metaphysical"), however discussing other elements such as character design or background history is often done in other sections. I've discussed my characters in this section, and because the characters had associated uniforms, I developed costumes which I discussed in the "Anatomical" section, where we tend to post pictures of cosplay, persona, reenactment, etc. Just have fun with it!

I would follow your own advice and not get mired on defining genres. It's a slippery slope. Everyone has a slightly different opinion on what the Steam and the Punk mean in Steampunk, when in reality the words mean little! Keep in mind the term was chosen ad-hoc by science fiction writer KW Jeter in 1987 to define the subgenre of 19th century inspired sci fi!

Cheers!

JW

RJBowman

Some people are way too hung up on the minutia of the definition of the genre.

If the work has science fiction elements including mechanical devices, and the setting resembles the world prior to circa 1928, no would should complain about it being called steampunk.

Lazaras

Advice I have trouble following because I've been hung up on a story for.... well... Since 05.

Don't let fear keep you from doing. An empty page has nothing to tell anyone.
Cheapie Theatre - Web Proxy for my Gemini Site
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!

Spare Goggles
If this forum goes down. I shall be reachable there under the same name.

Bartholomew Thatch

Thank you, Everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I was a little excited about posting since I found a community I love, which I also fear because of my own insecurities I have and for my publication. After further diving into the forum, I probably should have posted to "Textual".

I guess what I was asking is what steampunk meant broadly to each person (within the community). What does your fandom look like? I would like to say, "Obviously there are dirigibles and clockwork men," but that might not be your realm. Within your realm are there sanctioned automatons, are there mythical creatures, does one mix magic, vampires, and/or zombies?

I've read multiple steampunk publications with such specific elements that don't captivate me. I've then in turn make these elements the antagonists within my own publication.