News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

SS Central America: Haunting photos recovered the 'ship of gold' wreck on ocean

Started by Mercury Wells, March 27, 2022, 06:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mercury Wells

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Sorontar

Those images are great. One of them looks like she would fit in well in the modern gothic community.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Mercury Wells on March 27, 2022, 06:38:07 AM
SS Central America: Haunting photos recovered the 'ship of gold' wreck on ocean floor.

Awesome find, Wells! Posted on my Twitter timeline. It looks like all the photos were sealed in containers made from various materials. That and the cold temperatures at the bottom of the ocean helped preserve the (I'm guessing mostly) daguerreotypes.

Quote from: Sorontar on March 27, 2022, 12:07:02 PM
Those images are great. One of them looks like she would fit in well in the modern gothic community.

Sorontar

Because of the particular chemistry of the photography method (and referencing the photos of my great grandparents in Mexico City which you've seen me post here), the photographic plates will have some colors show up as black, when in fact the dress and hair could be much lighter in tone. That could be red hair and a green dress, for example.

I wonder adventures she went through. There were"new rich" who had made their fortune in the mining industry in California. Her slight smirk belies a life that probably wasn't conventional for the period.

JW

Sorontar

The broach/clasp at the top of her dress actually made me think of elven design as well. Of course, they are all modern sensibilities placed on my interpretations of an image relating to a different time and culture.

Of course, how could I claim to understand elven art and culture :^P

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com