News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steampunk Veganism

Started by chicar, April 28, 2022, 11:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicar

Scénario: You are designing the menu of a steampunk themed all vegan restaurant. What do you put in it ?
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

Sorontar

Quote from: chicar on April 28, 2022, 11:22:07 AM
Scénario: You are designing the menu of a steampunk themed all vegan restaurant. What do you put in it ?

Mr Potatohead, of course.

Source: https://www.instructables.com/Steampunk-Mr-Potato-Head/
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

SeVeNeVeS

Romesh Ranganathan and very large vegetable patch, the size of Texas should do it.......

Be prepared for the farts comparable to a tornado with equally devastating results  :P

Bottle the flatulent gas and sell it to EUROPE as an alternative to supplies which are currently in question unless you deal in a certain currency.

von Corax

Try as I might, I could not find an appropriate image of steamed broccoli.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: von Corax on May 02, 2022, 04:40:55 AM
Try as I might, I could not find an appropriate image of steamed broccoli.

I found an image for the best place it can go, more a cauliflower man meself.  ;D

Spoiler: ShowHide

chicar

I doesn't post it in my original post so not to skew your answer but their a vegan restaurant chain up here in Quebec with a steampunk esthetic:
https://www.eatcopperbranch.com/fr/
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

Captain

Quote from: chicar on April 28, 2022, 11:22:07 AM

Beer.  Wine. 

Tea.

Breads.  Possibly with herbed & salted olive oils. 

French fried potatoes and fresh fried potato chips. 

Boiled puddings.

This site might help:  https://recipes.hypotheses.org/5867 

-Karl

Caledonian

Hmm...I'd definitely want to put some form of smoked product on the menu. Smoked apples are quite nice for a desert. You core them then fill them with sugar and cinnamon, place them on a smokey fire until soft.
Passion is like a Peatfire

mizzarrogh

From an actual historical perspective, the little i know, it seems like the vegetarians in the 1800 west side world (Like Europe and the US) used a lot more of the whole vegetables compared to what we are used to today, i also think they had a lot of farmers old cooking, like mashed turnips, may beets, mashed potatoes and cabbageroots (are they realy called Swedes in English?) (that side dish is called "rotmos" (mashed roots) in swedish, my mother used to make it with boiled meet, but i think people ate it as it is if they did not had meat in season) etc. 
If we exclude butter, which mid class and poor farmers usualy had to do anyway, it's still edibly just a bit dull and watery taste but still enough energy to, live on.

Another thing is bark bread (but that was normaly more limited to the very north), the real thing obviously does not use bark, but the inner cambium layer, dried and mortled mixed with rye floor.

Cabbage sup and bread seem to hawe been very popular among all people since it was relativly sheap but still taste good (for some reason i love cabbage soup my self, my father used to make cabbage soup whan mother was't at home, he started by making broath, then let the cabbage boil properly and just a pinch of salt).

Nettles can also be cooked with only water.

Potatoes and leek soap.

mushroom sauce.

The truth is that most mid class and poor farmers probably ate vegetables most of the years since meat and butter was expensive,at least in sweden all butter where sold on the merket, it was not a thing You could usualy keep.  Meat was only a short period in the autumn or reserved in the winter for hard labour.

It was only Soldiers and sailours, etc who had daily meat in ther ransons because of the extreme work they often had to do.
Later forest workers had to add meat/fish and fat (and a lot of carbon hydrates, like rye bread, hardtacks, etc) into their daily diet for the same reason.
Regular farmers could usualy not afford that diet ower the whole year.