The day a huge airship landed outside Cardiff City Hall in June 1910.

Started by Mercury Wells, June 13, 2022, 06:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mercury Wells

The day a huge airship landed outside Cardiff City Hall in June 1910.

QuoteErnest Willows' pioneering airships stunned crowds in Cardiff and beyond.

It was 112 years ago this month when an airship touched down in front of Cardiff City Hall, stunning crowds who had gathered to watch. The man behind the landing has lent his name to a Cardiff high school and pub, and was a pioneering aviator and airship builder hailing from Cardiff.

Ernest Willows, born in Newport Road, made headlines when he landed an enormous airship, 'Willows 2', on the open field in front of City Hall on June 4, 1910, receiving a warm welcome from the crowds that had gathered from his home city.

'Willows 2' was an improved version of Ernest's first airship, the 'Willows 1', which he built in 1905 at just 19 years old. He flew the airship, which was powered by a motorbike engine, from East Moors to the east of Cardiff, with the balloon staying in the air for 85 minutes on its first flight.

After six successful flights, with the longest lasting two hours, the pioneering aviator designed and built the new and improved 'Willows 2', the balloon to touch down in front of City Hall. This new and improved airship made flights to Cheltenham and London, and saw Ernest become the first man to make a powered flight across the Bristol Channel.

When Ernest built 'Willows 3', he became the first man to make an airship crossing of the English Channel at night. After making it to France, he stayed in Paris for a few days where he celebrated the New Year by circulating the Eiffel Tower in his balloon.
(C) WoL. '22
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Synistor 303

I see that after the Battle of Dorking that Australia was granted independence! 

von Corax

Quote from: Synistor 303 on June 14, 2022, 01:03:58 AM

And Canada was ceded to the United States. That would have gone over in the Dominion like a lead Zeppelin.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Synistor 303

Quote from: von Corax on June 14, 2022, 01:10:20 AM

And Canada was ceded to the United States. That would have gone over in the Dominion like a lead Zeppelin.

Yes, but since Australia came out of the battle so well, if Canada started to make trouble about being part of the US and tried to reverse the decision then we would have to declare war on Canada... Or maybe Canada could become part of Australia and we would 'let' you remain independent? 'Canstralya' has a certain ring to it. (A horrible ring, but whateva.)

von Corax

Quote from: Synistor 303 on June 15, 2022, 12:43:51 AM
Quote from: von Corax on June 14, 2022, 01:10:20 AM

Yes, but since Australia came out of the battle so well, if Canada started to make trouble about being part of the US and tried to reverse the decision then we would have to declare war on Canada... Or maybe Canada could become part of Australia and we would 'let' you remain independent? 'Canstralya' has a certain ring to it. (A horrible ring, but whateva.)

Doubtful. We didn't react well when the French tried to cede us to the United States in 1812, and it wouldn't have ended any better if the Germans had tried it in 1879.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Usanians; I just wouldn't ever want to be one.

Mercury Wells

Sorry?, but we talking about the post or the link in my footnote?.  ???  ;D
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

von Corax

Quote from: Mercury Wells on June 17, 2022, 12:10:14 AM

I think we got side-tracked...

Mercury Wells

Quote from: von Corax on June 17, 2022, 12:14:52 AM
Quote from: Mercury Wells on June 17, 2022, 12:10:14 AM

I think we got side-tracked...

No problem, I'm quite amused by it all, actually.  :)