News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Commonwealth Games bull

Started by Sorontar, July 29, 2022, 11:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorontar

I missed the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth games in Birmingham (started before 6am in the morning for me), but I have seen various images of a mighty metallic mechanical bull with steam coming out of its nostrils (very steampunk looking). Did any of you see the full ceremony? Did the bull do anything other than be driven around? I read that it was symbolic of the industrial revolution and there were (suffragette?) women pulling chains attached to it (or being pulled). Is that right?

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Rockula

I Googled.

The original Bull is in the Bull Ring, Birmingham's shopping centre, which itself got its name from its history of bull-baiting and slaughter.

''Commissioned to herald Birmingham's regeneration, and to represent its history, the Bull has been adopted by the people of Birmingham as a 21st Century mascot. One of the largest bronze animal sculptures in the UK, the piece is modelled on the Hereford Bull, an animal with strong historical associations to Birmingham.''

The mechanical Bull...

''The most visually impressive element of the show was the raging bull, a giant aluminium and steel puppet constructed around a forklift truck-like machine from materials sourced in local factories. It was dragged into the stadium by 50 women representing chainmakers from the Industrial Revolution.''
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Sorontar

If anyone doesn't know what I am talking about...

I am curious if it transformed or had a lightshow or fireworks or anything other than just moving around during the ceremony (I know that smoke etc came from its nostrils).

Sorontar

Flightless Phoenix

I'm from Birmingham and my brother was one of the actors in the opening ceremony so I'm here with some details.

The raging bull has quite a large range of motion, including moving his head and moving his legs when walking. Fun fact, the noise they used for his footsteps was the drop stamp at the Coffin Works museum.

The bull was raging because he was chained up. The chains were pulled by the women chain makers of the Black Country who went on strike for increased pay and better conditions. In the ceremony he was freed when the injustice for the workers ended and then his eyes went from red to white and he bowed his head.

The original plan was for the bull to be immediately dismantled after the ceremony. Brummies were having none of this. He's currently still on display outside the main library and long term options are being sought. He's even been dressed up with flowers for the PoliNations event taking place at the moment.

There are some good clips here

https://youtu.be/JZRX4-h8c3Y, I refuse to share any of the silly videos calling it Satanic but some may show the bull in more detail.

Honestly the whole ceremony was a bit bonkers- Ginny Lemon in a lemon shaped hot air balloon and a puppet of Samuel Johnson that looked like Jabba the Hutt for instance,  but lots of steam punky moments thanks to inspiration from our industrial revolution Heritage. I loved all the details like him having an anchor for a tail.

Sorontar

Thanks for that explanation. Note sure what we will be showing you for the regional Victoria Commonwealth Games (probably criminals in metal armour, though I hope that Hargrave's kites will get a showing, but he was from New South Wales, not Victoria). I am dreading what will be shown when the Olympics gets to Queensland.

Sorontar

Synistor 303

Quote from: Sorontar on September 22, 2022, 10:27:19 AM
Thanks for that explanation. Note sure what we will be showing you for the regional Victoria Commonwealth Games (probably criminals in metal armour, though I hope that Hargrave's kites will get a showing, but he was from New South Wales, not Victoria). I am dreading what will be shown when the Olympics gets to Queensland.

Sorontar

Giant bananas dancing around with red necks is my pick...

Flightless Phoenix

Quote from: Sorontar on September 22, 2022, 10:27:19 AM

Sorontar

Well if they take a leaf out of our book there will lots of really bonkers conceptual stuff and they'll definitely borrow history from other places if it fits the theme.

For instance, under normal circumstances, the Black Country and Birmingham have one of those rivalries you can only have with people 5 miles down the road that speak very slightly differently and would never dream of being united by our common history...