News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Request for Comments: Photography Board

Started by von Corax, September 07, 2022, 04:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we create a new board for artistic photography?

Yes
7 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: December 06, 2022, 04:00:02 AM

von Corax

I've had the idea that we could benefit from a new board dedicated to "artistic photography." This would include such existing threads as "Abandoned" and "Steamy Steampunk Buildings", as well as threads dedicated to portraiture, landscapes, cityscapes, and modelscapes; it would not include build photos (which should be in Tactile,) generic "selfies," (probably in Anatomical,) or event photojournals (which should be in the appropriate Geographical board or sub-board.)

Beyond these criteria, I'm willing to listen to any cogent suggestions, including "Scrap the entire idea."

What say you?
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

SeVeNeVeS

May I ask what kind of photo subject matter are we talking about? On topic or anything artistic, and what is artistic? We all know the phrase art is in the eye of the beholder, if we do it and I think we should maybe a few examples.

Rockula

Most of the so-called 'artistic' Steampunk photographs I've seen on other platforms is scantily clad females.

I think there should be a close eye kept on just what kind of 'artistic' pictures get posted.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: Rockula on September 07, 2022, 07:29:24 AM
Most of the so-called 'artistic' Steampunk photographs I've seen on other platforms is scantily clad females.

I think there should be a close eye kept on just what kind of 'artistic' pictures get posted.

totally agree with that, no boobs, babes, hunks in trunks or anything suggestive in a sexual nature, ya get ya jollies elsewhere.
Also not robbed, hotlinked from google, they must be your own.

I often visit, once a week the bbc photo link.......... Maybe have themes?......or not..... I dunno, throwing thoughts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in_pictures

von Corax

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on September 07, 2022, 07:59:21 AM
Quote from: Rockula on September 07, 2022, 07:29:24 AM

totally agree with that, no boobs, babes, hunks in trunks or anything suggestive in a sexual nature, ya get ya jollies elsewhere.
Also not robbed, hotlinked from google, they must be your own.

I often visit, once a week the bbc photo link.......... Maybe have themes?......or not..... I dunno, throwing thoughts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in_pictures

By "artistic" I'm thinking anything (within reason) which showcases the artistry of the photographer, in terms of composition, lighting, dramatic filtering, clever manipulation (there used to be a portrait of Cthulhu as a Confederate general around here somewhere) and whatever else photographers concern themselves with when they take a photo (I am not a photographer.) There might also be technical discussions, if there's any interest.

SeVeNeVeS

Thats a yep from me. Go for it.

So off topic, non Steampunk photos would be acceptable as long as they are well crafted?

I may have to get to know my phone camera (all I got) a little better then............

Fumbling with touch screen ..........No! that is not what I photographed......... blooding thing.......... whose finger is that and where did it appear from? .......could take some time me thinks

Don't do Mobiles....me ::) ::)

mizzarrogh

von Corax

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on September 07, 2022, 01:41:40 PM
So off topic, non Steampunk photos would be acceptable as long as they are well crafted?

Good question. Perhaps a child board for non-Steampunk photos?

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on September 07, 2022, 02:54:52 PM

Wouldn't an artistic thread be inherently off topic? The reason I speculate is because the purpose of the artistic thread is to showcase someone's art regardless of steampunk content...

The other basic requirement, as stated above is that the content must be authored by the poster. No copying and pasting from the Internet. That alone rejects most of the scantily clad "steampunkette" content online.

von Corax

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on September 07, 2022, 04:55:51 PM
Quote from: von Corax on September 07, 2022, 02:54:52 PM

Wouldn't an artistic thread be inherently off topic? The reason I speculate is because the purpose of the artistic thread is to showcase someone's art regardless of steampunk content...

The other basic requirement, as stated above is that the content must be authored by the poster. No copying and pasting from the Internet. That alone rejects most of the scantily clad "steampunkette" content online.

Good points, both. No real need for a separate "off topic" board, and original/own works only. (We should probably be enforcing that second rule in the 2D Art thread as well.)

Mercury Wells

OK, I would like to be the curator of this new board, if there aren't any objections?
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Synistor 303

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: Mercury Wells on September 07, 2022, 06:38:35 PM
OK, I would like to be the curator of this new board, if there aren't any objections?

curate away dear Wells, no objection from me either.

My only fear is a lack of contributions, I'm willing to have a go, probably vey amateurish.

I see voting closes in December, so I will have time to practice. ;D

Rockula

No objections from me.
And, actually, another Mod able to wield a Ban Hammer would be a great help.
I may not be able to spend as much time doing that soon.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

von Corax

Should we allow technical discussion of photography, or should we have a separate space for that? Maybe a child board? Maybe we already have a space for it? Maybe I should just wait and see if we need it?

Sorontar

I have no issues with a new board but it still doesn't seem totally clear what would belong in it.

The current main image heavy threads I can think of are

• one on steamy costumes
  • one on steamy buildings
  • one on steamy finds in car boot sales etc
  • one on  steamy vehicles
  • one on railway, diecast and plastic modelling
Should any of these (or any other thread) be partially or totally subsumed by this new suggested board?
Should any of these be made a sub thread of the board?

Some of these threads are including third-party images. Should the new board only have images sourced from BG members?

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

von Corax

Quote from: Sorontar on September 09, 2022, 11:16:29 AM
I have no issues with a new board but it still doesn't seem totally clear what would belong in it.

• one on steamy costumes
Should any of these (or any other thread) be partially or totally subsumed by this new suggested board?

Some of these threads are including third-party images. Should the new board only have images sourced from BG members?

Sorontar

As I picture it, the "Steampunk Buildings" thread would move to Photography, along with most of the threads begun by former member selectedgrub. The other threads you mentioned would remain where they are.

The purpose of the new board would be to show off members' mastery of the photographic arts, and so (IMHO) should contain only original works. Photos of costumes would go in Anatomical; portraits of people in costume would belong in Photography. Build photos of props would still belong in Tactile; carefully-composed display photos (there's a term for it, but I don't know what it is) could be shown in Photography. Photos taken professionally for members might also be welcome.

SeVeNeVeS

I would say just do it now, could be some over thinking going on here, create the board and thrash out the finer details as and when things arise or develop..........

Let's get some photos upped and shown.

Don't dither.

von Corax

You may be right. In retrospect, 90 days seems a bit excessive...

SeVeNeVeS

make the board, make Wells curator, see what happens and hopefully some wonderful visual creations will appear before our eyes.......... Or not in my case  ;D

von Corax

I'll leave this thread open for comments and suggestions on the posting guidelines.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on September 09, 2022, 12:18:35 PM

• one on steamy costumes

Sorontar

As I picture it, the "Steampunk Buildings" thread would move to Photography, along with most of the threads begun by former member selectedgrub. The other threads you mentioned would remain where they are.

The purpose of the new board would be to show off members' mastery of the photographic arts, and so (IMHO) should contain only original works. Photos of costumes would go in Anatomical; portraits of people in costume would belong in Photography. Build photos of props would still belong in Tactile; carefully-composed display photos (there's a term for it, but I don't know what it is) could be shown in Photography. Photos taken professionally for members might also be welcome.

One thing, though, and not to knit pick the rules, but Mr. Croft's Steamy Buildings thread is mostly composed of pictures not taken by the posters. The guidelines for the new board have to make an exception for that! Granted, I've started posting my own photos for some time now,as well as the ladies from the Antipodes, but otherwise photos in the thread are obtained from an assortment of sources.

The other thing I'd like to add: I've seen the rules on NSFW posting. Using spoilers and warnings is correct. But I would add the following rule: A thread allowing any kind of NSFW, for historical reasons ("Victorian Era reality indiscretions, let's call them) MUST include spoilers labeled as "NSFW," as well as a disclaimer preceding the spoiler:

"NSFW. Following post contains discussion on mature subjects and nudity. People over 21 only," if the material contains sexually oriented discussion and/or nudity (eg posts by Lady Clankington, remember her?) or,

"WARNING. Following post contains discussion on mature subjects. Discretion advised," if there are discussions involving violence, sexual topics, but no nudity (eg discussion on Dr. Kellogg, and treatment of Hysteria and masturbation.

BTW, we already have 10-12 year old threads *exactly* like that in our forum (Threads started by El Shoggoto, Herr Doktor...)! Let's not pretend we don't (responding to the comments above, on what and what not we should allow in the photography board).

Photo oriented websites (eg DeviantArt, where I'm active) offer a two-level warning system, because controlling access to NSFW material is impossible for them on their server. You don't know who is watching. And this is what I've seen from all other platforms which allow NSFW images (Twitter, Mastodon), but wish to protect the viewers as well as themselves.  Seems like a marmy overreaction to hide photos all the time and write that kind of warning, but it makes sense to me from a legal perspective.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on September 08, 2022, 04:02:09 PM
Should we allow technical discussion of photography, or should we have a separate space for that? Maybe a child board? Maybe we already have a space for it? Maybe I should just wait and see if we need it?

Didn't we have a member build an old style camera out of a scanner, or something like that?

von Corax

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on September 12, 2022, 02:27:34 AM
Quote from: von Corax on September 09, 2022, 12:18:35 PM

• one on steamy costumes

Sorontar

One thing, though, and not to knit pick the rules, but Mr. Croft's Steamy Buildings thread is mostly composed of pictures not taken by the posters. The guidelines for the new board have to make an exception for that! Granted, I've started posting my own photos for some time now,as well as the ladies from the Antipodes, but otherwise photos in the thread are obtained from an assortment of sources.

I've amended the guidelines to make clear those exceptions.

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on September 12, 2022, 02:27:34 AM
The other thing I'd like to add: I've seen the rules on NSFW posting. Using spoilers and warnings is correct. But I would add the following rule: A thread allowing any kind of NSFW, for historical reasons ("Victorian Era reality indiscretions, let's call them) MUST include spoilers labeled as "NSFW," as well as a disclaimer preceding the spoiler:

"NSFW. Following post contains discussion on mature subjects and nudity. People over 21 only," if the material contains sexually oriented discussion and/or nudity (eg posts by Lady Clankington, remember her?) or,

"WARNING. Following post contains discussion on mature subjects. Discretion advised," if there are discussions involving violence, sexual topics, but no nudity (eg discussion on Dr. Kellogg, and treatment of Hysteria and masturbation.

BTW, we already have 10-12 year old threads *exactly* like that in our forum (Threads started by El Shoggoto, Herr Doktor...)! Let's not pretend we don't (responding to the comments above, on what and what not we should allow in the photography board).

Photo oriented websites (eg DeviantArt, where I'm active) offer a two-level warning system, because controlling access to NSFW material is impossible for them on their server. You don't know who is watching. And this is what I've seen from all other platforms which allow NSFW images (Twitter, Mastodon), but wish to protect the viewers as well as themselves.  Seems like a marmy overreaction to hide photos all the time and write that kind of warning, but it makes sense to me from a legal perspective.

I appreciate your concern here, but I think the terms of the Registration Agreement, combined with the pending move to Canadian servers, should suffice.

SeVeNeVeS