News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

My tea collection has gotten out of hand.

Started by Caledonian, November 22, 2022, 05:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledonian

Earlier last year I got a bag of loose leaf tea from the Hebridean Tea store, and it opened my eyes to just how much variation and fun there is in tea that I had never experienced with just teabags before... and I have since started hoarding the most unique flavours I could find. I like flavoured tea over pure black/white/green/purple so most of it is flavoured teas and tisanes. I have 120 flavours, so now when offering someone tea I just ask what they want and then give them that because I typically have it.

Some of the stand outs in terms of unique are Iron Brew by the Wee Tea Company, which tastes like...you guessed it, irn bru, Tì na Mara from Slainteach which has seaweed as one of its main ingredients and Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster by Bird&Blend (indeed inspired by the book) which steeps dark blue with sparkles and I am still not sure what it's supposed to taste like.

What's the most unique tea you've ever had? and where can I get it
Passion is like a Peatfire

Cora Courcelle

I enjoy chai tea but haven't got around to mixing my own yet.
Right now I am off to look for Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster tea ......
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

Synistor 303

Being a bit of a tea snob... I object to teas that are a basic (ordinary, bad) tea with some "stuff' added so it becomes a 'flavoured tea' (eg tea with bits of orange peel in it) etc.

There is a tea shop up in the hills that sells online 'real' tea from different tea plantations around the world (including Australia, yes, we grow tea). I get my tea from them. They still sell 'flavoured' tea, but they also sell proper tea such as Orange Pekoe (which has no oranges in it! and happens to be my favourite.) I am going to have a try of a few of the lessor-known teas such as the Papua New Guinea tea and the Rwandan tea to see if there is a real flavour difference. 

https://www.tealeaves.com.au/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAg_KbBhDLARIsANx7wAxhKY7ggEUtqQo5qSfyMFQM3sRDPPy0-cPcz2LDnTvDsApng2gEKwoaAoFiEALw_wcB

Caledonian

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on November 22, 2022, 07:23:28 PM
I enjoy chai tea but haven't got around to mixing my own yet.
Right now I am off to look for Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster tea ......
https://www.birdandblendtea.com/products/pan-galactic-gargle-blaster-tea?_pos=1&_sid=d67a219ca&_ss=r&variant=41907977158817 here is where I got mine :D

Quote from: Synistor 303 on November 22, 2022, 10:57:55 PM
Being a bit of a tea snob... I object to teas that are a basic (ordinary, bad) tea with some "stuff' added so it becomes a 'flavoured tea' (eg tea with bits of orange peel in it) etc.

There is a tea shop up in the hills that sells online 'real' tea from different tea plantations around the world (including Australia, yes, we grow tea). I get my tea from them. They still sell 'flavoured' tea, but they also sell proper tea such as Orange Pekoe (which has no oranges in it! and happens to be my favourite.) I am going to have a try of a few of the lessor-known teas such as the Papua New Guinea tea and the Rwandan tea to see if there is a real flavour difference. 

https://www.tealeaves.com.au/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAg_KbBhDLARIsANx7wAxhKY7ggEUtqQo5qSfyMFQM3sRDPPy0-cPcz2LDnTvDsApng2gEKwoaAoFiEALw_wcB

Alas, synistor, my sense of taste/smell is less than ideal (possibly because of some other issues I have) so I do not pick up on the subtleties between different kinds of unflavoured tea most of the time...making buying them an expensive waste of time. I own a milky oolong, for example, but would not be able to tell you that without reading the label. whereas if there is actual bit of fruit/herb/spice floating around in the blend the flavour tends to be stronger, and then I can taste it, which to me is much more fun an experience. I know it's blasphemous to people that actually enjoy pure teas, and I do apologise.

I do own some unflavoured tes and blends but I don't really reach for them as much.

morozow

If the opportunity presents itself. Try Georgian tea or Krasnodar tea.

Just in case, Georgia is where Stalin was born, they sometimes confuse it with the American state.

So, this is the border of the area of growth of tea bushes, they say in such extreme conditions the plants are a little different.
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

James Harrison

I like smokier, maltier varieties.  Assam has long been a favourite, I've recently discovered Russian Caravan and that's rapidly become my go-to brew.  Sadly plague did a number on my sense of taste and smell (gone three months now and I only occasionally get it back for a few moments) so beyond the basic sweet/bitter/salt/sour notes off my tastebuds I don't get much flavour any more.   
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Caledonian

Quote from: morozow on November 23, 2022, 05:53:32 AM

If the opportunity presents itself. Try Georgian tea or Krasnodar tea.

Just in case, Georgia is where Stalin was born, they sometimes confuse it with the American state.

So, this is the border of the area of growth of tea bushes, they say in such extreme conditions the plants are a little different.

I will keep an eye out too... Sounds interesting!

Quote from: James Harrison on November 23, 2022, 07:35:10 PM
I like smokier, maltier varieties.  Assam has long been a favourite, I've recently discovered Russian Caravan and that's rapidly become my go-to brew.  Sadly plague did a number on my sense of taste and smell (gone three months now and I only occasionally get it back for a few moments) so beyond the basic sweet/bitter/salt/sour notes off my tastebuds I don't get much flavour any more.   

Smoky tea is great! The tea that started this... Issue, was actually a peat smoked tea (with Heather blooms in it, too) which I thought was really interesting