News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

theorising about a costume

Started by Caledonian, March 20, 2023, 03:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledonian

hi all! it's been a while, I am thinking of making a new costume :P
since I recently got back into Magic!The Gathering I am thinking of making something based on the Izzet League.
I've made some sketches for clothes

I am discussing those with a friend that can sew...

Now, my job is making everything that isn't clothes. which includes an arm piece like:

But I have no idea where to even start with that, so if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. I was also hoping I might be able to work a small plasma disk into it?
Passion is like a Peatfire

Synistor 303

(I now need a plasma disk!)

For your arm-band. You can make it out of just about anything - paint is the key to getting it to look like metal. The quality and variety of gold/brass coloured paint is amazing.

Start collecting your bits - plastic or paper bendy straws are good for small detail tubing. Little lids and caps make good knobs or bolts. You should be able to use cardboard to make the arm-band - it is cheap and works just as well as expensive craft foam. There is cardboard and then there is cardboard - start collecting it for use. Some of the thicker stuff is difficult to manoeuvre, but you need something sturdy.

Put LOTS of detail on it, then paint it black then apply your brass paint. If you want to add really shiny detail, I use a gold mirror finish nail polish. Once you have painted on the brass colour then a wipe over with a dark brown thinned paint to make it look 'used' works wonders.

Pity you don't live closer - I have lots of stuff that would make a nifty brass arm-band and all the right paint etc. Also have a stash of cardboard that would be ideal. You don't want to make it too heavy, otherwise you might not want to wear it for long!

All your pictures of the arm-bands have a tube/cable for a power source. If you do that, you might need to carry a small power-pack on your back or shoulder. It could also look good if you used a small version of the red dragon logo and put it on the arm-band. Creates a more uniform look.

Sounds great fun to make!

von Corax

You want to google "bracer." You should find a number of examples in our Tactile board.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

"Pro" cosplayers use a type of thermoplastic, I forget the name, which is sold in sheets ( I think they have metallic colours as well), and you can mold by hand (with gloves for the heat). Many pieces of armour have been made that way...

Sorontar

You might be able to use the Fallout 76 Pip-Boy 2000 Mk VI Construction Kit as inspiration, or see how people have made Winter Soldier's metal arm (without it being metal).

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Caledonian

Thank you all for the suggestions! I am still not sure what I will be doing with the bracer, but I have send some pictures to my stepbrother, who has a 3d printer and might be able to make a base.
I am currently wondering if i should pad the inside somehow so it doesn't chafe as much, or if i should fasten it to a shirt so it won't fall off
Passion is like a Peatfire

von Corax

Quote from: Caledonian on July 24, 2023, 09:11:38 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions! I am still not sure what I will be doing with the bracer, but I have send some pictures to my stepbrother, who has a 3d printer and might be able to make a base.
I am currently wondering if i should pad the inside somehow so it doesn't chafe as much, or if i should fasten it to a shirt so it won't fall off

If it chafes at all, you should pad it or you just won't want to wear it.
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

mizzarrogh

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on March 21, 2023, 03:10:17 AM
"Pro" cosplayers use a type of thermoplastic, I forget the name, which is sold in sheets ( I think they have metallic colours as well), and you can mold by hand (with gloves for the heat). Many pieces of armour have been made that way...

Worbla?

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: mizzarrogh on July 25, 2023, 08:08:54 AM

Worbla?

That's the name I was thinking about.

Synistor 303

Quote from: mizzarrogh on July 25, 2023, 08:08:54 AM

Worbla?

And there I was thinking you had made a typo... Interesting stuff, and I might have to look for a source in Australia.

mizzarrogh

As i understood, You can re use it as many times as You want.