News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

"It really isn't Steampunk, but…"

Started by von Corax, May 30, 2023, 04:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Corax

Have you ever hacked together something of which you are particularly proud, but have had no place to boast about it? Well, this is the place to show it off! I'm starting this thread specifically to promote the exhibition of your best, favourite or most creative projects which would otherwise not qualify as Steampunk.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

von Corax

Several years ago (as suggested by the cobwebs festooning the thing) I found myself in need of a knife block to hold a mismatched assortment of kitchen knives. Rather than settle for any commercial offering, I decided to fashion one of my own design. I did take inspiration from online photos of some retail product or other, but the execution is entirely of my own devising.

The build consists of a blind pipe flange of some sort, a length of black ABS pipe, and around 2½ packages of bamboo barbecue skewers, with four rubber bump-ons for feet.
Spoiler: ShowHide

Sorontar

I won't show photos, but the other weekend I had to repair a pool fence. The bottom of one of the metal posts had rusted out and we needed to get a pool safety expert to give everything a tick and sign the paperwork, so I had to fix it or replace it. A trip to the hardware store to buy some odds and ends and a bit of angle grinding, and I managed to fix it and the inspector was satisfied when he came a week later. It wasn't a standard solution, involving screws, latches and table extensions, but it is sturdy and passed all his load bearing tests. I am quite proud (and pleased).

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

SeVeNeVeS

when I bought my house 20 years ago it was totaly impractical upstairs. you had to walk through the middle bedroom to access the bathroom, whilst pondering about a solution my mate at the time jokingly said turn the stairs around..............

So, it took a few months involving taking out brickwork and going to bed via a ladder  yep I turned the stairs around using the original staircase dismantled and caringly put back together, my dad cut more than a few wedges I made a bottom landing and now a coridor leads to the tiny box room at the back which once was the bathroom.

I'm chuffed because not only does it work but every one I knew at the time said it was impossible to re-use the original staircase, I do like a challenge, 20 years on and still no creaks or squeeks.

Hurricane Annie

I ripped up my rotten worn axminster carpet { the giant oak leaf motif edition} in the lower lounge [a retro 70s add on ]. It has a concrete floor, with what turned out to be serendipitous trowel marks. Taking inspiration from childhood memory and current on line instructions , I decided to give making faux flag stones. Its one of those things you'll regret in life if you don't give it a try. If it didn't work ,  there was always the option of vinyl to cover my shame .

I used masking tape  to make an uneven grid across the floor . Then gave it 2 layers of cheap ebony  fence paint . When that was dry I gave it a clear acrylic protective coat . It came up fabulous . Just like a 1950s foyer from an old magazine.

If these links don't work, you will just have to believe me.  {Sister Annette Pinterest }

https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/268245721548692934/sent/

https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/268245721548692936/sent/

von Corax

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on June 28, 2023, 07:30:48 AM

I ripped up my rotten worn axminster carpet { the giant oak leaf motif edition} in the lower lounge [a retro 70s add on ]. It has a concrete floor, with what turned out to be serendipitous trowel marks. Taking inspiration from childhood memory and current on line instructions , I decided to give making faux flag stones. Its one of those things you'll regret in life if you don't give it a try. If it didn't work ,  there was always the option of vinyl to cover my shame .

I used masking tape  to make an uneven grid across the floor . Then gave it 2 layers of cheap ebony  fence paint . When that was dry I gave it a clear acrylic protective coat . It came up fabulous . Just like a 1950s foyer from an old magazine.

If these links don't work, you will just have to believe me.  {Sister Annette Pinterest }

https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/268245721548692934/sent/

https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/268245721548692936/sent/

Very nicely done.

Synistor 303

It doesn't look like a painted finish - looks great!

Sir Henry

I really like the unevenness. The next picture on the pinterest page was of a similar floor done with perfectly straight lines. It looks far too boring and institutional compared to yours.
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

Hurricane Annie

Well thank you Sirs.

I enjoyed the experiment.  I have my suspicion it was once a carport pad. What ever the history, the rugged surface lent a certain "authenticity " to the finished article