News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Hope you are all safe.

Started by rovingjack, June 08, 2023, 01:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rovingjack

Right now (june 7th 2023) Canada is on fire.

perhaps a thread to serve as a way to express our hope in each other being safe and okay. a bit like the lost celebrities thread, but for those times like seem more and more common when some disaster befalls some part of this world we are scattered around.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Synistor 303

Was just hearing about this on the news - my sentiments exactly.

von Corax

Everything's o- *ahem* okay here. I'm a long *cough* way from the fires. There's no *cough cough* problem apart from a little *cough hack* smoke...
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: von Corax on June 08, 2023, 03:46:42 AM
Everything's o- *ahem* okay here. I'm a long *cough* way from the fires. There's no *cough cough* problem apart from a little *cough hack* smoke...

The fires are in Quebec, but the wind is carrying it far
This is what it looked like today on the satellite images
Source: NOAA

Justin Time

Here's a very informative site (for us in the US, anyway).  Let it know your location or it won't work.

https://fire.airnow.gov/

JIT
Have you never wondered what it would be like to walk between the ticks and tocks of Time?

RJBowman

I'm seeing posts on Facebook from people on the east coast and some of them seem to think that Canadian people or their government are responsible. People are nuts.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: RJBowman on June 09, 2023, 09:20:54 PM
I'm seeing posts on Facebook from people on the east coast and some of them seem to think that Canadian people or their government are responsible. People are nuts.

Conspiracies are a dime a dozen nowadays. Too many ignorant people yapping on the Internet.

von Corax

It's just because we don't rake our forests like the Finns do. ::)

Sorontar

In Australia, some of the plants expect to be burnt as part of how the bush gets rejuvenated. Unfortunately, this doesn't work well with the Western sensibilities. Many have a lot to learn from the indigenous communities in many areas, including land management.
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

von Corax

Quote from: Justin Time on June 09, 2023, 08:19:46 PM
Here's a very informative site (for us in the US, anyway).  Let it know your location or it won't work.

https://fire.airnow.gov/

JIT

Here's an animated smoke forecast map for North America: https://firesmoke.ca/

RJBowman

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on June 09, 2023, 10:35:12 PM

Conspiracies are a dime a dozen nowadays. Too many ignorant people yapping on the Internet.

It isn't even regular conspiracy types; it's people who fear ecological disaster and reflexively look for a villain when the air isn't crystal clear.