News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Do I need an IPAD?

Started by SeVeNeVeS, July 29, 2023, 01:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeVeNeVeS

I have this IPAD wiped of all previous info. Can't decide what to do with it.

I have a PC running DOZ 11 and an android phone which does pretty much all I need.

Is this apple product any use to me and if so how may I use it? at the moment just an expensive bit of useless tech sat in a drawer.

Any ideas?

von Corax

I think you're asking the wrong question. You should be asking, "Do I want a tablet?"

I have a tablet which I bought for a recent classroom course, where the textbook was a free download. I could have read the textbook on my phone, but having a tablet proved much more convenient. I currently use it when I want to watch YouTube videos away from my desk, and intend to take it with me for in-flight reading on an upcoming trip from The Deforested City to The City Paved with Gold.

Do I need a tablet? Not really. Do I want a tablet? Absolutely.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on July 29, 2023, 01:51:58 PM
I have this IPAD wiped of all previous info. Can't decide what to do with it.

I have a PC running DOZ 11 and an android phone which does pretty much all I need.

Is this apple product any use to me and if so how may I use it? at the moment just an expensive bit of useless tech sat in a drawer.

Any ideas?
With my current project, I think it's obvious what I'm going to suggest.

The iOS operating system is working, right? If the iOS is usable (ie can handle websites stream audio/ video with ease), why not use it as a wireless Internet Radio/TV (read my last post on the Boombox thread)?

Download this app (free version also available for Windows and Android ): https://audials.com/en/apps/audials-radio-ios

*(Just make sure to switch off "Save songs while playing" in Settings, or else it'll fill all your storage with data)

For free TV a suggestion is the "Pluto" app.

And get a pair of these for about $30 (or any Bluetooth speaker you can get, but a stereo pair is better)

And you can get a stand for the iPad,  even a plate stand like this for the tablet:

Madasasteamfish

Me reading the title:

Depends on what optical injury you've sustained....*bad dum tish*

I'll see myself out...
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: Madasasteamfish on July 29, 2023, 04:30:40 PM
Me reading the title:

I'll see myself out...
SECURITY!! Remove this gentleman from the premises using extreme force if you would.  ;D

I have most of those things covered already........ PC is behind the TV and connected to the TV and 3 monitors in turn connected to a an amp with speakers around the house so that's streaming video and audio sorted.
I use the android phone for spotify with headphones and have a small amp and speakers in my bedroom just plug in via the headphone jack.
The only other app I use on my phone is for bluetooth lights on my fishtanks and hole in the floor.
I really can't think of any use for the ipad.
I might set it up anyway but at the moment just another thing to keep charged.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on July 30, 2023, 05:53:15 AM
Quote from: Madasasteamfish on July 29, 2023, 04:30:40 PM
Me reading the title:

I'll see myself out...
SECURITY!! Remove this gentleman from the premises using extreme force if you would.  ;D

I have most of those things covered already........ PC is behind the TV and connected to the TV and 3 monitors in turn connected to a an amp with speakers around the house so that's streaming video and audio sorted.
I use the android phone for spotify with headphones and have a small amp and speakers in my bedroom just plug in via the headphone jack.
The only other app I use on my phone is for bluetooth lights on my fishtanks and hole in the floor.
I might set it up anyway but at the moment just another thing to keep charged.

There are so many possibilities with that, though. Tie all three with a steamed up wooden box with a handle and you got a portable device. Give it as a gift!

By the way, speaking of PCs, I made big progress last night with the boombox project. Basically I got Windows 10 to work right out of the box with the 7 inch touchscreen (tablet mode works fine, drivers installed automatically), on a PC Stick, "Azulle Access 3" with 64 GB of storage and 4GB of RAM).  It's definitely not a gaming computer (I erased all the X Box stuff), but looks plenty fast for streaming.

I'll post about it later tonight, but it looks Windows 10 just won the OS contest hands down by running the DVD drive, a Creative sound card and the touchscreen seamlessly, like a regular desktop, and also in tablet mode, which looks better than Android TV. I had to download codecs (codices?) to decrypt copyrighted DVDs, but I got VLC to run.

J. Wilhelm

SNIP

I just reread this post and this had me doing a double take.

"Bluetooth lights in a fish tank?" Does the fishtank turn into an aquatic rave club at night?

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on July 31, 2023, 02:13:03 PM

SNIP

I just reread this post and this had me doing a double take.

"Bluetooth lights in a fish tank?" Does the fishtank turn into an aquatic rave club at night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcPj8lu231M
If you should so wish. ::)
Did I mention my washing machine has bluetooth app as well?  Fully programmable from my android. ::)

J. Wilhelm

Oh, I believe that. There are so many apps and so little time... We're at the point that at the supermarket you can buy Bluetooth speaker lightbulbs and I've seen the programmable led light strips as well.  I still don't have much use for those lights though. It's now fashionable to have coloured light programmable lightbulbs as well. Purple and green for Halloween, Red and green for Xmas, or white and blue for Hanukkah  ::)

SeVeNeVeS

so at this point I hark back to my original question all this technology is wonderful but do I need it?

I can't imagine the sound from one of those speaker light bulbs is that great.

Iv'e set up the ipad, the only good thing I've discovered is apple and microsnot can talk to each other so I can tranfer files and photos to one drive alot quicker than android with no faffing about, almost instant.

Still playing when I have time, you have to remember Im almost 60 and self taught with this stuff, so not so techie minded.

btw upgraded to DOZ 11 couple of easily sortable issues but went smoothly and not that different from 10 seems to be kinder on my CPU as well.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on August 01, 2023, 08:22:45 AM
so at this point I hark back to my original question all this technology is wonderful but do I need it?

I can't imagine the sound from one of those speaker light bulbs is that great.

Iv'e set up the ipad, the only good thing I've discovered is apple and microsnot can talk to each other so I can tranfer files and photos to one drive alot quicker than android with no faffing about, almost instant.

Still playing when I have time, you have to remember Im almost 60 and self taught with this stuff, so not so techie minded.

btw upgraded to DOZ 11 couple of easily sortable issues but went smoothly and not that different from 10 seems to be kinder on my CPU as well.

I don't generally like iOS, so for whatever it's worth, there's very little advantage for me.

And to be honest with you I haven't had a Windows machine since 2007 or so. My last Windows OS was Windows 7!  I've only used Linux and Android in the remainder 13 years.  So it took me a bit to learn the "two layered" structure of the new style Windows, but in about an hours I had it all down in my head.  To be honest it's a lot easier than I expected it to be. My complaint is that the new Windows format hides the nuts and bolts of the OS too much. It's confusing having apps separately from.exe programs. I had to download VLC twice, because their "app version" is no good for optical drives. So I had to use their "legacy desktop" in whatever capacity when I was trying to install or set something up (Decoding .dll drivers for VLC). Older software is no longer compatible (Creative Sound Card), but it had generic USB audio drivers.