News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Thoughts on a steampunk RPG

Started by Ascent, August 06, 2023, 05:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ascent

I'm currently working on adapting an RPG for a steampunk setting and would like to get peoples thoughts on a couple of things.

Firstly I'm after archetypes that would be suitable for a steampunk setting. Not neccessarily a steampunk archetype but ones suitable for a steampunk setting.

There are a few obvious ones I've already thought of, Explorer, Engineer, Military/Soldier, Rogue, but there must be plenty that fit into that late 19th century asthetic.

Another thing I'd like peoples thoughts on is setting. I've been automatically thinking of an alternative world that is very like a 19th century Europe, but I've started wondering if maybe I should just make it our world but there is a change sometime around the start of the 1800's with discovery of a new fuel, something making steam power easier and more powerful.

For those that are interested its Modiphius 2D20 system that I'm playing with.

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas.
There's one way to find out if a man is honest - ask him. If he says, 'Yes,' you know he is a crook. - Marx.

RJBowman

I'm not an expert on RPGs but one think I haven't seen in an RPG is a system for player characters inventing and building things that they can use in game play.

David Vivian Haraldson

Hullo!

Have you taken a look at GURPS Steampunk for inspiration? I have not read this one myself but I hae almost always found their books to be excellent source material—whichever RPG I am playing, running, or daydreaming about.

Available as PDF or Print On Demand. But, at the very least, the preview has the table of contents and a list of character concepts.

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/steampunk/

Yours sincerely,

Mr. David Vivian Haraldson