News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Major Announcement: The Great Migration is Complete!

Started by von Corax, August 08, 2023, 06:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Corax

We are moving! On Saturday, August 19, at 2:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, I will be temporarily shutting down the Forum while I move it to a new host; when it comes back up it will have a new address, https://brassgoggles.net/forum/. This process should take approximately one hour.

The details: About a year ago we were approached by our current host, the-wizard, who informed us that he had not been paid in some time, but that he wanted to see the Forum survive and so would give us a free ride "for a month or two" while we sought a new host. He also assisted the current Management Team in taking control of the Forum. Unfortunately, the-wizard was not also able to help us take control of either the domain registration or the Gmail service, and so we have been forced to register a new domain, brassgoggles.net.

"A month or two" has turned into "a year or so," but new hosting, email service and domain registration have been provisioned, and we are now ready to carry out the move. I have copied the Forum software to the new host and made a copy of the database, so the new installation currently represents an image of the live Forum as of late Monday morning; it will remain as such for the next two weeks while we poke around and try to find anything I've overlooked. Since any posts made to the new site would be lost in the final migration, the new site will remain in read-only mode until the 19th. At that point I will take a final copy of the current database, the new site will go "live," and the old URLs (brassgoggles.co.uk and brassgoggles.org) will be redirected to the new URL (brassgoggles.net).

If everything goes as planned, you will not notice any difference except in the URL, and that email notifications of updates and personal messages will once again function correctly.

If you have any questions, by all means please post them here.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Rockula

It won't let me log on using my current password.

Do we need to set up new ones and, if so, how do I do that?
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

von Corax

Quote from: Rockula on August 08, 2023, 11:47:03 AM

It's currently in Maintenance Mode, which won't let anyone except an Administrator log in.

Rockula

Quote from: von Corax on August 08, 2023, 01:22:54 PM
Quote from: Rockula on August 08, 2023, 11:47:03 AM

It's currently in Maintenance Mode, which won't let anyone except an Administrator log in.

Thanks.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

von Corax

Things have grown disturbingly quiet hereabouts. Rest assured that any posts made up until the moment of the Migration will be preserved on the new site.

von Corax

As noted in the updated post above, the Great Migration will occur today (Saturday August 19, 2023) at 2:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time and will take approximately one hour.

yereverluvinunclebert

Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute