News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Joining the band wagon and steampunking a Nerf gun

Started by Felscor, February 20, 2024, 08:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felscor

I know it's been done. Many times. But alas I need to do something steamy to get me back into the swing of things, and also I always wanted to post a project on Brass Goggles.

My plan is to take this Nerf gun (photo pending) that shoots tennis balls, spray paint it, and then hot glue on additional elements to look fancier. While augmenting it would be favourable I doubt my resources (time, expense, expertise) will be sufficient.
Elymas J. Banderbine
Urban Druid

von Corax

Quote from: Felscor on February 20, 2024, 08:04:16 AMI know it's been done. Many times. But alas I need to do something steamy to get me back into the swing of things, and also I always wanted to post a project on Brass Goggles.

My plan is to take this Nerf gun (photo pending) that shoots tennis balls, spray paint it, and then hot glue on additional elements to look fancier. While augmenting it would be favourable I doubt my resources (time, expense, expertise) will be sufficient.

There's a reason it's been done many times — it's a classic! We look forward to your take on it.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

SeVeNeVeS

Bring it on good sir.

Looking forward to WIP piccies, yep it's been done before but this will be yours.

RJBowman

I have two Mavericks that I will probably never get around to modding:

I like the revolver cylinder, but every other part of the gun looks too modern. I'm thinking I could take a hacksaw to it and rebuild everything with epoxy resin to look more 19th century.

There might be a market for a resin kit to replace that frame and grip.

Felscor

Let's try this pic again:

If this doesn't work, what am I doing wrong?

Edit: ok, not my own pic and wrong colour, BUT this is the gun model I'm modifying.
Elymas J. Banderbine
Urban Druid

Felscor

Quote from: RJBowman on February 21, 2024, 04:06:57 PMI have two Mavericks that I will probably never get around to modding:

I like the revolver cylinder, but every other part of the gun looks too modern. I'm thinking I could take a hacksaw to it and rebuild everything with epoxy resin to look more 19th century.

I also love that revolver, and agree that the rest looks modern; I may copy your idea of epoxy  ;)
Elymas J. Banderbine
Urban Druid

RJBowman

Quote from: Felscor on February 22, 2024, 01:45:25 AM
Quote from: RJBowman on February 21, 2024, 04:06:57 PMI have two Mavericks that I will probably never get around to modding.

I also love that revolver, and agree that the rest looks modern; I may copy your idea of epoxy  ;)

I used to customize action figures; my procces was to cut/sand/grind away whatever didn't look like the character I wanted, then filled the holes and added missing detail with epoxy putty.

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: Felscor on February 22, 2024, 01:42:52 AMLet's try this pic again:
If this doesn't work, what am I doing wrong?
Edit: ok, not my own pic and wrong colour, BUT this is the gun model I'm modifying.

Are you using a photo host?

I use https://imgbb.com
Good, simple and free, you do have to register with an email and password, been using this place since photobucket fracked up.

Upload your photo, once uploaded, you get a drop box titled embed codes.

In viewer links go to BBcodes, click on BBcodefull, hovver over the link and click on copy top right in the box, then in BG paste  the link, auto img tags are there.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/B24SGxt/20220915-103303.jpg[/img]
Then it should appear in your post like this

Spoiler: ShowHide

Felscor

Elymas J. Banderbine
Urban Druid

Felscor

Saturday project start.

Ducked tape the gun to protect from first coat of paint: 

Elymas J. Banderbine
Urban Druid

Felscor

Elymas J. Banderbine
Urban Druid

SeVeNeVeS

Can i just ask a few questions?

Do you sand/ rough up the plastic before spraying and what paint is used, do you primer fist?

I need to paint some plastic waste pipe soon for a project and any advice would be most welcome.

(glad to be of help with the photos BTW)

Felscor

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on February 24, 2024, 07:06:41 AMCan i just ask a few questions?

Do you sand/ rough up the plastic before spraying and what paint is used, do you primer fist?

I need to paint some plastic waste pipe soon for a project and any advice would be most welcome.

(glad to be of help with the photos BTW)

No, I'm afraid I did neither sanding nor roughing of any kind, and nor did I use primer. I went in guns blazing and half cocked. 8)

Oh my dearest soul. Do not come to me with questions of expertise. This, for you see, is a new frontier for me and I am learning as I go.

What I can do for you is to continue my log, for which there may be something to be learnt by the onlooker, but it shan't be from my teachings.

[Edit] Thank you muchly for the help with the photos!

That, and to send a picture of the paint I so chose:

Changelog: ShowHide
*added my appreciation for being taught how to attach photos
*Answered the question

Elymas J. Banderbine
Urban Druid

Synistor 303

Rust-oleum spray paint (Bunnings) will stick to plastic with no problem. Also, 'Weld-Bond' glue (also Bunning) will stick anything to anything - metal to plastic, anything to glass etc. Dries clear.

Sir Henry

If the waste pipe is white, there's something else you can do...

It turns out that solvent-based wood stains also stain white PVC just as well. I have stained both pipe and trunking successfully by lightly brushing along them with a wire brush then wiping a sponge dipped in dye along them in a slightly-not-straight line. After a couple of coats it looks passably (though not perfectly) like wood.

Here's an image search to show examples: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wood+staining+plastic+pipes&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images

And a youtube 'how to' video:
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

RJBowman

Quote from: Sir Henry on February 26, 2024, 11:15:49 AMIf the waste pipe is white, there's something else you can do...

It turns out that solvent-based wood stains also stain white PVC just as well. I have stained both pipe and trunking successfully by lightly brushing along them with a wire brush then wiping a sponge dipped in dye along them in a slightly-not-straight line. After a couple of coats it looks passably (though not perfectly) like wood.

Good enough for stage props or cosplay.

Felscor

Update, expected delays.

Wife has decided to go into labour... See y'all when I'm a father!
Elymas J. Banderbine
Urban Druid

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: Felscor on February 29, 2024, 06:53:42 AMUpdate, expected delays.

Wife has decided to go into labour... See y'all when I'm a father!
I think under the circumstances we can allow a minor pause in updates  ;D  Good Luck!!

Sorontar

Hope all goes well with the new construction of homo sapien. I hear the manufacturing is rather straightforward, but there is a lack of a user's manual.
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Cora Courcelle

And the returns process is absolutely impossible 😄
Congratulations 🧸
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...