News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Is the 1700 dead?

Started by mizzarrogh, April 02, 2024, 10:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzarrogh

Is there anyone 4else here who are mildly interested in the 1770s style?
I would love to see more tips about how to fix non wig hairstyles and giant fringe hats, gentlemen are of course also welcome in the diskussion if there are any! It came to my mind that the King of Sweden could wear embroided silc toffles and pink satin coat but still be seen as a true and honorable warrior at the time, if that is not a real man, i don't know what waht would be! Ha ha! :)

Synistor 303

If only you had access to the toxic, inflammable hair-styling products of the 1980s. You could probably get your hair to do what you wanted with a few gallons of 1980s hairspray, styling gel, mousse and wax... Of course it would come with the risk of cancer if you didn't burst into flames first.

mizzarrogh

Ha ha! I think i stick to making a wig... i just got my self some of the fabric for a dress! :-) I just wanted something that would fit into the royal cort in the late 1700s. I know there are a society here, but i live a bit too far away to reach people for practical questions and i not know the members in person, but it had been super cool to be on a real world meeting on a real royal castle site! At least my aim is set there whan i can afford traveling south and stay ower for a weekm or so in the summer (unfortunately summer is always super byzzy living on an old farm and i need to help my old parents (i am worried something happen to my father if he do all the worl alone), but maybe next summer. ), I managed to find a few autentic coins, some herbs from my garden and recepies for food to bring. :-)

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: mizzarrogh on April 02, 2024, 10:11:19 AMIs there anyone 4else here who are mildly interested in the 1770s style?
I would love to see more tips about how to fix non wig hairstyles and giant fringe hats, gentlemen are of course also welcome in the diskussion if there are any! It came to my mind that the King of Sweden could wear embroided silc toffles and pink satin coat but still be seen as a true and honorable warrior at the time, if that is not a real man, i don't know what waht would be! Ha ha! :)

Brings to mind a certain  "dress manly" Internet meme...

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: mizzarrogh on April 02, 2024, 10:11:19 AMIs there anyone 4else here who are mildly interested in the 1770s style?

The thing about the United States, is that its independence period is centered around that exact period.  American Independence iconography is absolutely full of clothing from that period and there are a lot of historical reenactments around it.  While you wouldn't be able to physically participate in American groups, perhaps you can avail yourself of clothing and other paraphernalia, or get tips surrounding the fashions by way of American organizations?

Although not related to the high European courts, or female (ormale) fashion in general, I find the YouTube channel of Jas. Townsend and Son to be fascinating, at least on the food side of things and reenactments around living in the frontier of the Americas.  There are many other resources that may be more useful, noting that the American "Founding Fathers" were members of the British aristocracy or at least representative of the intellectual groups involved in The Age of Enlightenment.

mizzarrogh

Thank You! Yes, it has not passed by unnoticed here either... ha ha,  personaly i realy love the early American history and reenactment around it, particulary those around reconstructing actual methods and how people actualy lived and solved problems back then. (Yes, i love Townsend!) :-) There is some of it ower here too especialy among black powder shooters who are into re enactment, but the interest for the kings cort is a bit mild here to put it lightly... ha ha at least in Sweden we are more like the Americans whan it come to the attitude to upperclass, and i am realy proud of it despite some of my old ancestors where blue blooded, but they did not become that for nothing, the whole idea of noble men once started the same way as in America, it has just been lost to history in Europe. :-) I think countries like Swizerland still hawe a lot of the old days independence thinking intact, the only country in Europe that come to my mind where machineguns are still legal among people, criminalty is very low (crimes where guns has been inviolved are extremely low there as far as i know), and laws are built around personal responsibility and the old spirit of defending the country. Well i not going into politics and the downfall of my country here... It just makes me mad thinking about what happened here after the 90s.  I just keep it there, Sweden is not Swizerland... >:( Well, i don't know if You are familiar with the Swedish 1700 poet and song writer Carl Micael Bellman? I want to add in some of that spirit and touch of humour in my cosplay. He wrote a lot of songs (beside the more well known obscure ones he wrote... ha ha) about sitting in the garden and talk to good friends ower a bottle of whine and some good cheese. I tried to grow the same type of herbs he use in the song to spice whine and other food with in my garden. I see the late 1600 and the 1700 as the periods of actual enlightment and science landwinnings here, without that period the explosive progress of the late 1800 and today had not been possible! I always had a deep passion for the 1700 scientfic experiments and demonstrations! I remember wisiting the national museums as a little kid and seeing all those strange reserach and demonstration apparatus, and the collection of bones, mineralies, spacerocks, animal samples, reconstructions of extinkt ice age animals, etc, etc It was just mindblowing! :-)