News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

So, I forgot to go to a class... For the entire quarter...

Started by Jake of All Trades, December 13, 2007, 08:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake of All Trades

Final exams are next week, so I took a look at my schedule of classes posted on the university's website.  I get half-way down the list when I see "PE 0105 - L19" listed.  I think "what?  I must be looking at next semester's schedule, for I certainly do not have any PE classes now!"  I take a closer look, and sure enough, I indeed was registered for a gym class.  Yeah. 

See, our school runs on the semester system, meaning that the school-year is divided in two parts; at the ends of which you choose the semester-long classes you will be taking next.  The problem is, the gym classes are only half a semester long so some of them just start in the middle of a semester--a point in time which is easily ignored, as it means absolutely nothing in 90% of classes.  So I've just been going along, happily following the schedule that I printed out at the beginning of the school year, secure in the knowledge that this list of courses applies to the whole semester. 

Really, even in retrospect I don't remember signing up for a gym class!  It was, at least, only a half-credit class so my GPA shouldn't be hurt too much.  Still, I've never actually failed a class before--and certainly not for such an idiotic reason!  Good heavens, am I absent-minded or what?!?!  Now if you'll excuse me, there is a wall whom needs to be introduced to my forehead... 
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

Alain Raethorne

That, my friend, is pure grade A awesome. Sure, it sucks to fail the class for such a stupid reason, and believe me. I know, I've had similar things fail me before, but if you go and try to sort it out with whatever administrative personnel, I'm sure you'd be able to work something out. And if not, well, then you have that giant mechanical spider somewhere, don't you?
Navigator aboard the AAV Raziel.

Gold is for the mistress-silver for the maid-
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade
"Good" said the Baron, sitting in his hall
"But Iron-Cold Iron-is master of them all."

WisconsinPlatt

ByJ, Jake, that takes the biscuit.

I had a CompSci course that I went for the first day to pick up the syllabus and then showed up for the final and managed to pull a low A out of it.  But that was entirely intentional.  Can't say I ever forgot an entire course.

Jake of All Trades

Quote from: Alain Raethorne, of Perth on December 13, 2007, 09:08:25 PM
That, my friend, is pure grade A awesome. Sure, it sucks to fail the class for such a stupid reason, and believe me. I know, I've had similar things fail me before, but if you go and try to sort it out with whatever administrative personnel, I'm sure you'd be able to work something out. And if not, well, then you have that giant mechanical spider somewhere, don't you?
*Chuckles* I know!  As mad as I am about the failure, I think the hilariosity of the situation far outweighs it  :P 

I've thought about talking to an administrator of some sort about it, though I'm quite positive nothing could be done.  If it were an ordinary class, perhaps, but being a gym class it is all about daily participation, you know?  I should still talk to someone, however, perhaps I can get a bit of tuition refunded or something...

The best part about all this is that a few weeks ago I actually registered for the same class next semester, thinking "hmm, that sounds like a fun course to take!"  You'd think that would've jogged my brain into recalling that I should be in that class right now, but apparently not... 

Oh, and I will be sure to send you all samples of Flubber once I perfect its formula ;)
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

Atterton

Couldn´t you ask if you could perform a hundred push ups and run a marathon that they let you pass?
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Sgt Alistair King

I know when I was in college I got a poor PE grade (who knew you had to take an actual final?) but I retook the class the followinng semester and they allowed me to subsitute the new grade for the old. I also had a PE glass that I stopped going to half way through, and I passed! Lucky the teacher had no idea who I was..
Don't tell me this is another experiment crossing lines that man was not meant to cross..

CapnHarlock

My last year of college PE was theoretically easy - 2 semesters of bowling at the University bowling alley (which was blessedly open until 3 AM) - 3 games, 2x a week - amazing how the last couple days of each semester became the all-day Bowl-A-Thon.......

Back in the bad ol' days, we guys at least got to fence and bowl - the women's classes had insulting names like "Basic Motor Skills" (sic) - it turned a lot of people into Radicals......
Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.

Anaesthesius

At least it was only a PE class!  I used to have nightmares about this exact scenario around exam time, except the class was always something big, difficult, and crucial for my major.  Brrr...
"...by all means, let's plant poles all across the country, festoon the ------ with wires to hurry the sorry word, and blinker our judgments and motive...  Ain't the state of things cloudy enough?  Don't we face enough ------ imponderables?" - Al Swearingen on information technology, Deadwood 2x13

Sgt Alistair King

My English class caused that nightmare for me repeatedly...then there was the time I walked into my English final halfway through because I forgot when it was scheduled..
Don't tell me this is another experiment crossing lines that man was not meant to cross..

Prof. A. Morphous

I don't know about where you go, but at both the community college and university I attended, anyone who did not appear for the first 3 classes was dropped from the roll by the teacher or by the brains in jars in the records department. I suppose this varies from school to school, but I am surprised that you were not automatically dropped. Oh well, take it next semester and then petition for "substitution of grade".

-Prof. A. Morphous  ;D
"All of my comments are random thoughts, meant to help, praise or suggest a path of travel. All should be pondered, and disregarded as you see fit."

I feel like punching a penguin in the face today. -Ella Kremper

Otto Von Pifka

In high school I had the (mis) fortune of getting double pneumonia and missing a month of school.

the only class I failed was PE.  damn a 1/4 credit down the tubes.

the dean contemplated having me take it over to make it up. Double PE classes!?!
I suggested that spending any more time around a drunken phys ed teacher than was absolutely neccessary was a bad influence on me. luckily, she folded to my raise and I won that pot. ;D ( the idiots drink of choice was peppermint schnapps, real subtle)

luckily I only needed 16 and 1/2 credits to graduate, the next two years they bumped it up to a total of 22.
I took every introductory science and math class to pad my credits ( a loophole in the class requirements I discovered)... mostly to tick off my "guidance councilor"....the man was a hired thug brought in to police the bus area, a knuckle dragging pinkerton.
his only other responsibility was coaching some minor school team and attempting to teach U.S. history.

Almost every meeting with my "guidance councilor" ended with me seeing the dean and going to detention.
I didnt really mind, I won every argument with that primate. It usually left him a funny purple color too.

senior year I came in at 9am for PE, went to ceramics class for 2 periods (i wasnt even registered for it, they didnt know or care) then off to the lunch room until the first bus left at 2pm

If it wasn't for the PE thing I could have skipped the last half of senior year all together.

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

I'm....sure i came across this thread on a different forum....

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear Jake,

You are living one of my recurring nighmares.  You have my sincerest sympathies.

Vienna

Atterton

My recurring nightmares are about actually attending PE classes.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Rage-X

My daughter is in her second year of collage, she is going for an engineering degree. As with most collage students she is so busy that I hardly get to see her. Anyways I spoke with her last week and she says "You should be proud of me, I actually went to my accounting class and did some of the homework" ***shutter*** she goes to a private collage.....$$$$. So I ask her what kind of a grade she is pulling, her reply "low A".

She hates the class because its boring and she forgets to go but she is a math wiz so she still pulls an A. Her mother is a LPN (nurse) and I'm an R&D tech, we are both fairly smart but sometimes I feel dumb next to my daughter.

Jake, you should talk to your admin and see if they will comp you on the cost and/or let you drop the class. They may not but I would try anyways.
It is better to be hated for what you are then loved for what you are not.

Hikaro Takayama

That sucks!!!

...Thankfully, due to my being in the Navy for 6 years, Boot camp counts for al the PE credits I'll ever need. If I ever were to apply to a college that wouldn't count them, I'd be more than happy to do a full PRT (physical readiness test) scenario with the PE instructor and see if he/she could keep up with me (100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups and run  1.5 miles in less than 12 minutes immediately afterwards).
"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."

JLeigh

Not quite as bad, but similarly hilarious:

I somehow managed to think my physics exam was at 1:00 PM today, not 10:30 AM.  Luckily I get to take a makeup test tomorrow, so all is well.  For about an hour I was terrified I was going to fail the class.

Jake of All Trades

Quote from: JLeigh on December 15, 2007, 12:10:17 AM
Not quite as bad, but similarly hilarious:

I somehow managed to think my physics exam was at 1:00 PM today, not 10:30 AM.  Luckily I get to take a makeup test tomorrow, so all is well.  For about an hour I was terrified I was going to fail the class.
It is only by the grace of a very compassionate deity that similar has not happened to me yet, I assure you!  The best of luck on your makeup--do you loose any points for that?
--Tinkergirl

JLeigh

Luckily, no.  I think I looked like such a mess when I got to the professor's office (I'd just walked 2 miles home, then checked my e-mail and literally ran back, in 85 degree heat), he believed my story.

Actually it worked out in my favor... I get a free-response test with partial credit for wrong answers, instead of multiple-choice.

Jake of All Trades

Quote from: JLeigh on December 15, 2007, 02:14:55 AM
Luckily, no.  I think I looked like such a mess when I got to the professor's office (I'd just walked 2 miles home, then checked my e-mail and literally ran back, in 85 degree heat), he believed my story.

Actually it worked out in my favor... I get a free-response test with partial credit for wrong answers, instead of multiple-choice.
85o?!?!  What state are you in?  It's a whopping three 'round these parts ::)
--Tinkergirl

JLeigh

Florida.  Good God I would kill for three.  I hate this weather, it's only gotten below 60 two days this month.

Sir Theodore Catchpole

Quote from: Jake of All Trades on December 15, 2007, 02:28:51 AM
Quote from: JLeigh on December 15, 2007, 02:14:55 AM

85o?!?!  What state are you in?  It's a whopping three 'round these parts ::)

well we have about a foot of snow in WI

Jake of All Trades

--Tinkergirl

Lady Amelia Marsh

i managed to completely miss my final freshman year (thought it was at 1pm when it was at 9am. whoops)
i ran around campus for a few hours, bawling, trying to find my professor. i got her phone number from the main office. the poor woman at the font desk wasn't supposed to but gave it to me anyway. i called my professor and left a hysterical message. i  probably wasn't even speaking what sounded like english.
i left town the next day.
3 days later i got a call back and the prof said i could take it when we got back from break.

i was convinced i was going to fail.
huzzah for nice professors!

and its been like 79 here in new orleans.
apparently louisiana isn't aware that it's winter

Gnome

Aye, hooray for nice professors! I missed a couple English classes due to illness and general ennui, one of which happened to be both a test day and the due date for the paper. The syllabus for the class stated quite clearly: "The only excuse for missing a test day or a paper due date is to be hospitalized. Late papers will not be accepted otherwise, nor will missed tests be allowed to be retaken. Do not even try pleading." Each paper counts for 20% of the final grade, and each test counts for 2.5%, or about as much as a missed day of class.

I was thinking about all of this as I was writing my final paper, on which, by my estimation, I needed to get 100% on in order to pass the class with a C (which I need in order to take Creative Writing next semester). Naturally, I busted my ass on it. Then, on the second to last day of class (the rough draft checkin for the final paper), my professor pulls me aside and says he'll let me take the test I missed and turn in the missed paper as well, completely unbidden. The test I took right then and there, the paper I crammed out over the course of the next week.

Right now, I'm looking at a possible B in the class, depending on how much my professor decides to mark the late paper down, and at the very least a C...

Thank the cogs for being well-liked by teachers of all types...
If you insist on referring to yourself in the third person, don't be surprised if I start referring to you in the first.
SAVE THE AIR KRAKEN! Join the 11th Greenpeace Airborne division!