News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The definitive goggles thread

Started by Magnus, February 25, 2007, 12:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus

I thought it would be a good idea to collate all the links pertaining to steampunk eye ware (not just goggles) into one thread.  Why? Well it is very central to steampunk really, and not the easiest thing to find information on.  So are likely to become a much asked about topic in the future  (And i happen to be looking for a pair right now!).  So if everyone could post links to anywhere selling goggles or other steampunk eye ware, "make your own" guides and anything else, and i will add them to this post to make a sort of directory

(the only place selling any goggles that look remotely steampunk are halcyon, although i don't really think they look quite right, i will add them to the list anyway)

ps: i hope i am not offending any admins or owners of the site by taking the initiative like this, i do i am apologise

Retailers
halcyon

phuphuphnik

I usually wear pince nez glasses. in the lab or shop I'll wear old welding goggles with clear lenses. These are the same ones I wear for costume. 
The folks at Studio Foglio have these:
http://studiofoglio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=STF111&Category_Code=Girl_Genius

Ebay has scads of gas welding goggles, too.

TheRedMax

I'd say that welding goggles of the cheap non-box variety were better starting points for Steampunk goggles?

You can pick them up at many hardware stores for around $10 (like here)

"The trouble with these international affairs is they attract foreigners." (Member #77 and fiercely proud of it!)

Hex

"I am opposed to the laying down of rules or conditions to be observed in the construction of bridges. Lest the progress of improvement tomorrow, might be embarrassed or shackled by recording or registering as law, the prejudices or errors of today."
~Isambard Kingdom Brunel~

Tinkergirl

Alas, lovely goggles like those TheRedMax don't seem to be sold in any UK hardware/DIY shops.  Personally, I've enjoyed the Girl Genius ones.

If it's just for show and only temporary, you could make some out of toilet rolls.  Tutorial here.

You may find that the Aether Emporium has a surfeit of goggle links.

sidecar_jon

i might just say what can be made out of cardboard toilet rolls may easily be made from brass or copper sheet. Which can be so thin that it maybe cut with ordinary scissors. Just a thought.

Honky-Tonk Dragon

These are my current scootering goggles

Not especially steampunk, I know, but for practicality sake, I need something that works over glasses.
Anybody know of better "over the spectacles" goggles?
"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre

Jake of All Trades

I just got a pair similar to TheRedMax's, but green.  They must be pretty common, as I've seen them being used several places--including Mr. von Slatt's guitar <a href="http://steampunkworkshop.com/images/pc010420.jpg">photos</a>.  They're also the same model that Doc wears in the "scale model" scene of Back to the Future, which cemented them firmly in my heart :)
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

Cryptovitas

do a search on ebay for welding goggles and a whole slew of things show up.
Buy a pair and some paint or leather and you're ready for some fun tweaking to get the nice vintage look. Here's a pair that I made just recently:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/Peter_Harris/000_0186.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/Peter_Harris/000_0184.jpg

They were originally a pair of rubber green welding goggles but I removed the rubber and made my own leather casing and repainted it with nail polish because I couldn't find any acrylic paint. The leather was a bit abrasive against my face so I used some leather glue and glued two giant ear muff pieces to the inside to make it a bit comfy.
They look great but I'm afraid that they aren't safe to drive with :)

Edit: fixed link

azrael

I currently have two pairs and both came from my local army surplus store, a set of aviator goggles, and a pair that are more cyberpunkish which I used paint to scuff up.

TheRedMax

Quote from: Tinkergirl on February 25, 2007, 12:51:27 PM
Alas, lovely goggles like those TheRedMax don't seem to be sold in any UK hardware/DIY shops.  Personally, I've enjoyed the Girl Genius ones.

Blast! I had a pair of these goggles about 5 years ago - long before I worked out why I liked them! I loved them so much that the rubber straps wore out. I wonder what happened to them. I must buy a new pair. The goggles i have at the moment were given to me by a goth swindonian and although verging on the bug-eye style, offer no perfection other than the fact that they are orange lensed, meaning whenever you wear them - its like viewing the world in Sepia!
"The trouble with these international affairs is they attract foreigners." (Member #77 and fiercely proud of it!)

Mad Salvager

Great Thread!

Here's some suggestions if I may be so bold..

+Paintball goggles
+Motorcross googles
+Hunting gear

They may not be *the* Steampunk asethic but goodness, will they ever inspire those looking for something that they didn't know existed.

TheClockWorkWasteland

I've been making goggles for a few years.  I don't know why I've always been fascinated with them, and it's always funny how many other people I find who share the same enjoyment.  My current favorite pair are welding goggles to which I added a bunch of wires, a paint job, some lens replacement, and such accoutrements. 

They certainly keep the wasteland dust out of my eyes.

By the way, thanks for the link to those girl genius goggles -- nifty.

Otto Von Dieselbowser

Hello, first post here in the forums - a newbie from Australia.

I have just purchased a pair off eBay. From Germany but I have heard they have a good rep for timely delivery.
They are vintage Swiss army snow goggles from late 30s to mid 40s. (WWII era)

Try these links

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swiss-Army-Snow-Goggles-Vintage-Rare-Anno-1944-in-Can_W0QQitemZ110094555185QQihZ001QQcategoryZ13980QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Swiss-Army-Snow-Goggles-Vintage-Rare-Anno-1944-in-BOX_W0QQitemZ110096656748QQihZ001QQcategoryZ13980QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I assume they are in good condition since Switzerland was neutral the entire second world war so they wouldn't have seen much action.  ;)
Cheers

exoskeletoncabaret

Quote from: Otto Von Dieselbowser on February 26, 2007, 10:31:03 AM
I have just purchased a pair off eBay. From Germany but I have heard they have a good rep for timely delivery.
They are vintage Swiss army snow goggles from late 30s to mid 40s. (WWII era)

Ah yes! I have a pair in black and brass and one in silvertone as well. I swear by these. They tie on, which is wonderful if one has a lot of hair like I do, or none at all! And the ones I have came in a tiny metal pillbox-type case, which is a useful place to keep bits and bobs if one is wearing one's goggles.

In use!

(Art project. I was cutting necks off of foam heads--don't ask.)

http://www.atomefabrik.com/ (the website is difficult to navigate--apologies) carries handmade custom goggles, some of which have gears or schematics over the lenses, and she also makes one-of-a-kind goggle monocles too. I have been straining to refrain from acquiring one, but it is oh-so-hard!

Drool.

Benza

Check army Dispoasl stores, one near me has some awsome goggles, although they are more old stiley pilot goggles then the ones being linked here, they are still pretty rad though.

The welding goggle thing sounds pretty rad, but I have absolutly no idea how you would do lens replacement :P

Johnny Payphone

I don't believe in dressing up to acheive a particular look, instead, I believe that a certain lifestyle begets a common dress code, and that is why steampunks wear goggles (because they need them, daily) while ravers put goggles on their head.

I like goggles because they keep the rain out out of my eyes when riding.  They protect from sparks when grinding.  Darkened ones protect the eyes when welding.

Many goggle designs descend from WWII models.  You'll find the same basic pair of goggles on Tank Girl as you will on Mr. Furious from Mystery Men.

Keep your eyes out for "oddfellow's goggles".  These were made for some kind of secret rite that Masons engage in.  They have multiple lenses that flip down.  One blocks your sight so you can be led around to do secrety stuff.  One is red and can cause "secret messages" to appear... I'm guessing this would seem like magic in 1920 but every old Transformers toy came with the same "magic".  At any rate these goggles were all hand-made and come in many varieties but all of them look very mad scientist.

Steampunk life in the living world:
http://www.johnnypayphone.net/blog.php

Clym Angus

Quote from: exoskeletoncabaret on February 26, 2007, 02:27:38 PM

Drool.

99% with you there although I might just have to remove the elastic and replace it with pvc rubber ring and 4.7mm stainless steel in a v design. Would take a bit of work making sure the inside diam of the steel was smooth, but by gum it would be worth it!

arcane

Mr Pad

Quotehttp://www.atomefabrik.com/

They look very nice, but I think that leather instead of silicon and rubber would make them way more lovely.

scottymac

Didn't see these mentioned; looks like they're out of stock again, I got a pair in December:
German Goggles

exoskeletoncabaret

Quote from: scottymac on February 26, 2007, 04:39:15 PM
Didn't see these mentioned; looks like they're out of stock again, I got a pair in December:
German Goggles

I have a pair of these too, from years back. Great goggles, and the lenses unscrew so they're easy to mod.

Johnny Payphone

These are folding, semidisposable emergency goggles.  Good to keep in your tool bag for the day you really need them.  I believe they are of NAFTA origin.  They come in a paper pouch and cost about $5.

Steampunk life in the living world:
http://www.johnnypayphone.net/blog.php

Jake von Slatt

As for non-goggle eye-wear I recently bought the pair of blue glasses you see in the pic I took for Andy's interview:

They are my prescription and they cost . . . $26 including shipping!  I got them from goggles4u.com.

There's a clearing house blog for information and ratings on these new super cheap eyeglass places:

http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/2006/11/from-3mew-eyeglasses-stores-are-for.html

So, if you're nearsighted like I am you simply order the cheapest set of glasses with the right size lenses (some of the single vision glasses go for $12.95 a pair) and then when you get them, pop out the lenses and put them in your welding goggles.

Q.E.D.

No more singed beard smell from getting to close to the torch!

The Industrial Revolution . . . This time it's personal.

Jake of All Trades

Wow!  :o Excellent tip, Mr. von Slatt!  I've always wished that there was a source for cheap Rx glasses to mess around with, but had no idea my wish had come true!  This opens a whole new world of making to me--medical hacking!

PS:  I apologize for the wild use of "!"s, this has all just gotten me so very excited :)
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl