News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Post Pictures of Your Home

Started by Orlando, April 01, 2008, 04:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Veritas

Quote from: clairdelune on November 27, 2008, 02:50:25 AM
Quote from: Professor Veritas on November 26, 2008, 09:23:47 PM

Please keep those pictures coming, especially of the deck area as it fills in.

I will definately post more.  The deck was a summer project and came out much better than I expected.  I have no history with hammer or nail - but I read a little on the aethernet - scanned a few books - and ended up with a project that I'm proud of.

The next big project (for the winter) is the basement.  It's a series of rooms - the biggest 15ftx30ft with a fireplace - the others smaller and of various sizes.  They will become my study/workroom and be getting the full Steampunk treatment.  I just wish I could replace my current laptop with one of those beautiful Mods I've seen elsewhere on this forum.

Orlando

Professor Veritas,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the wonderful pictures!

You've started a big job there in, I think, the living room - is the plan to expose the beams?

Orlando.

Prof Eumides Blakehurst

I've just realised that I posteed some photos of the house to the Spare Goggles forum, but not here.

The house is gradually moving to a Victorian/Edwardian look with a bit of Renaissance Urbino thrown in for good measure. Currently the 'formal' parts of the house are the steamiest:

Spoiler: ShowHide

Though the bedrooms is getting there:

The original wunderkammer:

is spilling over onto the bookcases and more drawers:

And here is the church organ restoration project that will keep me busy over christmas and the rest of summer, along with one of the Ward cases with a tropical pitcher plant in it (currently flowering, though that photo was taken about 2 months ago when it wasn't flowering!):

More in due course!
There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.

Professor Veritas

Quote from: Orlando on November 27, 2008, 06:28:15 AM
Professor Veritas,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the wonderful pictures!

You've started a big job there in, I think, the living room - is the plan to expose the beams?

Orlando.

Thank you for the warm welcome, Orlando.

The living room has turned into a monster project.  Originally the room had 3 box beams and what looked like that 1960's cottage cheese texture.  We wanted to remove the texture - and found out that it was actually heavily textured hand applied plaster.  So - 2 weeks of swinging a sledge hammer and the plaster was gone.  2 of the 3 beams turned out to be false - just hollow boxes - but the middle beam actually houses a 16 foot length of steel rod that is mounted along a central beam to help hold up the 2nd floor.  I demolished the 2 faux beams - and drywalled the "real" beam.  I would have loved to keep the exposed beamwork - but this part of the house dates from the 50's, I think (the house was originally built in 1936), and the construction work look sloppy - so we decided to drywall over all and give it a lite texture.

The original rock wall with the fireplace was a white/grey stone - probably quartz or some relative of it - and was just too cold for the room.  After a good long think - fueled by port and a meerschum pipe - we decided to stain the rock with wood stain - and ended up with a nice amber/brown color.

The walls were originally 60's panelling - that had to go away - so we drywalled over it and then applied venetian plaster. 

More photos to come - comments are welcome.

Regards,

Prof. Veritas

Orlando

Prof Eumides Blakehurst,

There is plenty to engage the eye, Prof!
One of my neighbours has a ball bearing clock like yours - I always sit and stare at it for far longer than I should!
You have a number of old Biggles books (I think) - I have a couple but unfortunately one of them has come from a school library, and so inevitably "Biggles Flies Again" has been defaced so as to read "Biggles Flies Undone".

Professor Veritas,

I would have had neither the courage nor the vision to lose the wood panelling but I can see exactly why you did from the "before" and "after" pictures.  Although in theory I feel I should like a lot of dark wood, when it is used floor-to-ceiling in a large room it can be rather oppressive - it's so much lighter and airier now - easier to live in and feels "happier", I would think.

Orlando.

Professor Veritas

Quote from: Orlando on November 28, 2008, 04:19:13 AM
Professor Veritas,

I would have had neither the courage nor the vision to lose the wood panelling but I can see exactly why you did from the "before" and "after" pictures.  Although in theory I feel I should like a lot of dark wood, when it is used floor-to-ceiling in a large room it can be rather oppressive - it's so much lighter and airier now - easier to live in and feels "happier", I would think.

Orlando.

It was a difficult decision - I too love the look of fine wood paneling.  The operative word here is "fine".  What was hanging on our walls was a travesty of the 60's - and smelled "old" (but not in that good, old book, fine wine, classic perfume old way, but in that funky musty way.)

It also, as you commented, lightened the room up tremendously.  We've since ripped out all the old carpet and put in a lovely tiger-wood floor - which has releaved me of the guilt of removing the paneling.

Regards,
Prof. Veritas

Prof Eumides Blakehurst

Quote from: Orlando on November 28, 2008, 04:19:13 AM
Prof Eumides Blakehurst,

There is plenty to engage the eye, Prof!
One of my neighbours has a ball bearing clock like yours - I always sit and stare at it for far longer than I should!
You have a number of old Biggles books (I think) - I have a couple but unfortunately one of them has come from a school library, and so inevitably "Biggles Flies Again" has been defaced so as to read "Biggles Flies Undone".

Thanking you, king Sir!

I am seriously thinking of modding the ball bearing clock to have brass tracks. The plastic tracks get quite 'sticky' and need constant cleaning to keep the balls running smoothly, so a replacement with  brass angle seems like a sensible idea.

And yes, there are quite a few Biggles there. I have almost collected all the naughty titles: the best so far being 'Biggles Gets His Men'. No Joke. There are other titles like that, and the only one I'm missing is 'Biggles Takes it Rough'. Seriously.  ;D  ;D  ;D
There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.

quantumcat

I was delighted to see all the rooms and houses-except for Phinz' contribution.

Why do I exclude that offering?

I suspect Phinz lives in a structure identical to my own home.

But,neither the interior nor exterior of my house displays the beauty,creativity,whimsy and...er...cleanliness of the house we see here.

(I've described my decor as a cross between 'Post Apocalypse' and 'Early Landfill'.)

One of my aunts had been able to decorate this floorplan with efficient use of space and display her Victorian furniture and Native American artifacts.

Alas,I haven't attempted to do much more than try to make paths between unopened moving boxes,metastasizing piles of books and chatchkes and my husband's latest efforts to paint gaming figures and craft terrain.

Phinz,your place looks steamy,welcoming,attractive and a home to REAL people.

I now have no justification for postponing fixing up my home until I found someplace more "vintage" or outre'.

Maybe,with your place for inspiration,I can take the accumulations of five households and four businesses (plus twelve pets and two packrats) and make it seem appealingly eclectic instead of looking as if I'm trying to store the contents of a TARDIS into a regular blue police box.

Honeythorn

I don't recall if I've posted my room in this thread, so here's a new picture taken the other day after I'd BLITZED it and cleaned thoroughly

<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·