News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Update on the british sword ban

Started by Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth, April 06, 2008, 02:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tallest

Big Fat Loophole time!

If you want a defacto permit for all your "historical replicas" aka swords and whatnot. just buy an SCA membership for $15, The SCA is a governmentally recognized non profit educational corporation. It will cover you as an historical enactor, and you're not required to participate or anything if you don't want to. Although personally I find the occasional SCA event quite refreshing.

sca.org

Vienna Fahrmann

Moderator Comment:

Please keep this thread on the acceptable side of the "no politics" guideline of the forum.

Vienna

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Very well, Mme Fahrmann, we'll be good. Won't we?

Tallest, very interesting; is that accepted by the British Government?

Wells, that's a great idea, definitely worth looking into more.

Mercury Wells

Mr Tallest, I don't think that having membership of the CSA would be helpful in the UK.  :(
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

The alternative of course is get a martial artist's licence.
But i can't be bothered spending 4 years studying to get it.
To be honest, since i can't really make anything larger than madium-sized knives, it doesn't really affect me except in principle.

Atterton

Would the SCA really help since they seem to not even use metal weapons?
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Hyren von Henry

"the right to bear arms?" does this cover all weapons?

just curious.
Est. 1990

The simple answer is i don't know, no-one seems to. The general consensus on the forum for british knifemakers (which also has a few policeman and solicitors) is that there'll have to be a few court cases before anyone'll know what's what, most likely against Bugei and Cheness, the main makers and importers of contemporary katanas. If a sword's still made in japan by a traditional smith then it's still legal to import, so i can see them moving factories and labour over there if it'll let them get around the ban.

ALSO: I've just seen Von Henry's post and i'd appreciate it if it wasn't discussed, i think it'd be too political and we've already been warned once. Valid, certainly, and definitely worthy of discussion, but not here. Sorry, Von Henry...

Hyren von Henry

all i want is a simple yes or no....

and how can a thread being entitled "update of the british sword ban" not be political? and surely this question i ask is also political?

AHHH! CRIMETHINK DOUBLEPLUS UNGOOD! MINITRU DUCKSPEAK DOUBLEPLUS GOOD!

Doublethink = doubleplus good  :D
Est. 1990

Mercury Wells

Hypothethical question:-

If I started an account with a store (say...2-3 years ago), to buy a set of  "live bladed" swords. and I plan to finnish paying (within the next month or two) for them and then take them home in a sealed box on public transport. Would that be legal?
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Hyren von Henry

i wouldn't risk them on a public vehicle
you'd probably get away with it in your own car, but they must be safe and hidden from sight

or at least thats how it is with firearms
Est. 1990

Probably not; you'd have them in public, etc. As for the payment of them, maybe, since you started and had largely finished paying before the ban came into effect. I'm not a solicitor, though, so don't take my word for anything. All i can say is that you'd be running a terrible risk if you got caught.

Alright then, Von Henry, but let's leave it at this: As far as i know, it's legal to carry a sword in Canada, as long as you take due care, etc. You're more than likely to be stopped by a policeman but as far as i know, as long as you give him a good reason, there's not much he can do...Let's leave it at that, eh?

Mercury Wells

Ok, thank you both for your help.

Hyren von Henry

Quote from: Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth on April 07, 2008, 05:25:00 PM
Alright then, Von Henry, but let's leave it at this: As far as i know, it's legal to carry a sword in Canada, as long as you take due care, etc. You're more than likely to be stopped by a policeman but as far as i know, as long as you give him a good reason, there's not much he can do...Let's leave it at that, eh?

you don't know, do you?
Est. 1990

All i've got is anecdotal evidence from what i saw on another forum.

rogue_designer

There are a goodly number of fine swordsmiths in the UK. How does this affect their trade - I didn't notice if there was a dealer/collector/artisan clause.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)

The British swordsmiths are included in the ban, they're not allowed to make blades longer than 50cm.
It's been facaetiously suggested that 50 of us or so to go over to the republic of Ireland and turn some farmer's field into an epic forge-in.

Mercury Wells

Quote from: rogue_designer on April 07, 2008, 05:38:45 PM
There are a goodly number of fine swordsmiths in the UK. How does this affect their trade - I didn't notice if there was a dealer/collector/artisan clause.

try here.

Professor Lidenbrock

Quote from: Hyren von Henry on April 07, 2008, 05:11:11 PM

just curious.
The U.S. Constitution does not have any weight in English law. (Though,oddly,English common law is afforded special status by the U.S. Constitution) Also should be noted that the ambiguous phrasing of the alleged right to bear arms makes interpretation contentious.The U.S. does not extend this right to minors.
"Through the ruins of a city stalked the ruin of a man."

Jemima Annabelle Clough

I far prefer the wording in the old joke - the right to arm bears...

How easy would it be to grind an inch off a curved blade?
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

Depends on the depth of hardening, your skills with a grinder, etc. Bottom line is: Not too hard at all, as long as you know what you're doing.

Hyren von Henry

Quote from: Professor Lidenbrock on April 07, 2008, 06:36:32 PM
Quote from: Hyren von Henry on April 07, 2008, 05:11:11 PM

just curious.
The U.S. Constitution does not have any weight in English law. (Though,oddly,English common law is afforded special status by the U.S. Constitution) Also should be noted that the ambiguous phrasing of the alleged right to bear arms makes interpretation contentious.The U.S. does not extend this right to minors.

i wasn't intending to use American constitutions in British law  :P , or even if i can arm kids (??) i just want to know if *arms* means "guns" or any sort of weapon.

i just want to expand my general knowledge! is this so very wrong?!
Est. 1990

Quote from: Hyren von Henry on April 07, 2008, 07:51:57 PM

i just want to expand my general knowledge! is this so very wrong?!

Not at all, old chap ;)

the Hat

Quote from: Vienna Fahrmann on April 07, 2008, 04:51:31 PM

Moderator Comment:

Please keep this thread on the acceptable side of the "no politics" guideline of the forum.

Vienna

*Gets evil glint in the eye*

"Yes me lady! Whatever you say!"
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]