News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Update on the british sword ban

Started by Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth, April 06, 2008, 02:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiny5th

it is rather strange that theyve made it only illegal to sell / trade / give them

from that interpretation you are still allowed to own them, jut not change hands.

Inventing is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.

Tristian Dreyman

Quote from: Smaggers on April 06, 2008, 07:27:28 PM
That must play merry hell with the crockery.  ;D

Yep. We get through a lot of plates...

And metal polish...
"What's that?"
"Hmm? Oh a mechanical lobster."
"Why?"
"Why not?"

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

It is a bit odd that they can't change hands, ho hum, as soon as there is a court case all will be made clear.
The music is reversable, but time...is not.

Atterton

You´re right. Any chance we can get one of you brits to go out and kill someone with a sword?
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Quote from: Atterton on April 06, 2008, 08:00:54 PM
You´re right. Any chance we can get one of you brits to go out and kill someone with a sword?

Depends on whether i come across the man who started this or not ;)

Ella Kremper

Perhaps they could be re-assigned as letter openers for very large letters? I have a ornate dagger-cum-letter opener somewhere.

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.

Hyren von Henry

or cutting the ends of huge cigars.
Est. 1990

Mercury Wells

Im just waiting for re-enactment armour to be banned as it could be by criminals as body armour.  ::)
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Hyren von Henry

i'm now tempted to hold up a bank in 15 century full plate armour and a claymore  ;D
Est. 1990

Ella Kremper

"Tarry thee not, good sir knight! I warrant that thine monies shalt be in mine pockets this fair morn lest I skewer thee betwixt my arrow heads!"

Hyren von Henry

your forgetting one thing. i'm exceedingly lucky, therefore you'll never actually hit me.

Thine purse is Mine, Wench!
Est. 1990

Ella Kremper

Mine purse is mine, foul knave! It resides quite safe upon the Rock of the North, although whither it goes, only the Wise Woman of Putney knows... have at thee!

CinnamonAndSpite

I never knew there was a modern problem with swords in the streets of England! ^_^

Igaus N. Wierzba

So what exactly is a cutting edge? A edge that can cut? Or is it more complex then I think it is?  :P

For the zombie question: I would simply pull out my bass, take a pose (making my hair grow long by the awesome power of rock) and then rock the zombies back to the fiery depths they came from (England I think?  :D)

We have something similar in Sweden and this have had my mind boggled.
If I have a traditional suit on me that are not complete without a sword at my side, for reasons unknown to others. If it is blunt and I have it as part of my costume, will it not still be a problem? With people not liking people walking around dressed nicley with a sword by their side.

Think of all the champagne bottles opened improperly because my sword must be left at home  :(

Quote from: Igaus N. Wierzba on April 07, 2008, 05:50:09 AM
So what exactly is a cutting edge? A edge that can cut? Or is it more complex then I think it is?  :P

For the zombie question: I would simply pull out my bass, take a pose (making my hair grow long by the awesome power of rock) and then rock the zombies back to the fiery depths they came from (England I think?  :D)

We have something similar in Sweden and this have had my mind boggled.
If I have a traditional suit on me that are not complete without a sword at my side, for reasons unknown to others. If it is blunt and I have it as part of my costume, will it not still be a problem? With people not liking people walking around dressed nicley with a sword by their side.

Think of all the champagne bottles opened improperly because my sword must be left at home  :(

It's complicated. the situation makes Dorian Grey look like a hick.
I'll keep you posted as i learn more (i sent an email to a civil servant).

Mercury Wells

[Musing mode]Hmmm...So if swords sticks are banned and now curved blades (over 500mm), then I'll just have to start carrying a genuine (polished granite) Neolithic hand axe* (and maybe a wickerwork buckler) to defend myself against unsavory characters. AFAIK, these are not banned by law...yet?.[/musing mode]

* An added shaft would be useful aswell.  ;)

On a serious note.

Why the heck should I be penalised for my enjoyment for the beauty of a well made blade whether its blunt or live. Just because of a few uncivilised idiots who do not or cannot understand the meaning of HONOUR, INTEGRETY, RESPONSABILITY and most of all RESPECT when it comes to the handling a sword?

(I wonder if the armed forces are exempt from this law?? when being inspected by  visiting Heads of State/given "freedom of the City")

A sword was once a status of rank/power and it means nothing now. It is sad loss indeed.   :'(

When I was a member of a re-enactment society, I was given a spear to use from... lets say...day one and I had to prove that I was capable and worthy to use a weapon. Which I am glad to say I was and graduated to a sword & shield.  ;D

Sidebar?

Did you know that all males (in Britain) from the age of 15 to 45 are supposed to practice archery for at least 3(?) hours on a sunday within one mile of a churchyard as ordered by Henry VIII in defence of the realm? (something do with his dislike of football being played on a sunday).
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

Noo, don't get granite, get ground flint! Much better head-smashin' and edge-holdin' abilities!

Or did you mean flint?
:D

Tiny5th

yes i remember hearing that, your local clergy is obliged to give you the lessons.

when me and my friend heard this we decided we should head down there and demand ours

Mercury Wells

Quote from: Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth on April 07, 2008, 12:08:39 PM
Noo, don't get granite, get ground flint! Much better head-smashin' and edge-holdin' abilities!

Or did you mean flint?
:D

Either one I don't mind, but I wold prefer a polished surface though.
(and was a very quick reply, 13 seconds, I believe?  :o )

I'm on my way to Overlord, every second counts ;)

von Adler

It's a sad state of affairs when we let society to be run by irresponsible idiots and cater to the same (this applies to all societies, no need to be British to experience it). Sometimes I think that people should be de-armed and de-legged at birth so we could stop making silly laws and regulations that harm the majority and cater to the few, or alternatively wipe out the entire human race; which position I support at any given day depends on whether I'm feeling cheery or not.

Tiny5th

speaking of ranks i cant believe im already a captain

Mercury Wells

Quote from: Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth on April 06, 2008, 06:07:39 PM
Nope, it's designed to cut anything the user wants it to cut, and cut it well.
And we've reached the crux of the problem here; it's not the sword or gun that does the damage, it's the person using it.

*A lit lightbulb appears above my head*

I wonder if its worth forming the "National Sword Assocation" (NSA) for the promotion of safe use of all swords et cetra et cetra?)

Quote from: Igaus N. Wierzba on April 07, 2008, 05:50:09 AM

I think that you'll have to destroy the group White Zombie to be really sucessful.  ;D

Congrats to you Sir Tiny.  :)   

Captain_Minty_Gearhertz

Ah! Maybe we can argue that to not carry a sword violates our human rights?