News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

What kind of pirate or non-pirate are you?

Started by Albrecht, May 17, 2008, 09:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albrecht

Quote from: suriehl on February 09, 2009, 05:45:05 PM
I wouldn't want the Kaiser's agents getting wind of my where abouts.  But if you are so inclined you can follow my story at http://twitter.com/VonSuriehl   I've only just begun chronicling my adventures there.

Too late, my esteemed ex-officer for I have found you here! ;D

A.Felix

An aspiring mechanic on your ships, young but with decent talent inherited from my now deceased father and the Professor, an inventor who took care of me and still keeps a watchful eye. I'm a little down on my luck, so some theivery is involved when I can't help it (or really want that thing over there), but the Professor keeps me in line and shows me his works, sometimes taking me in his airship, although certainly not for pirating. I'll work for any of you, no questions asked- for a price.

They wish I might act a bit more feminine and try to rise in society, but I like where I am and would rather keep with the trades than be a lady, but sadly have nearly no promise as a pilot, so am left to what I have.
For the lower classes, I am relatively smart, having a great interest in reading and seeing how things work. But certainly, books are what I would most hate to part with.

Soooo, in short, a bit of a street person with some connections and knowledge but limited funds.

suriehl

Quote from: Albrecht on February 16, 2009, 08:42:55 PM
Quote from: suriehl on February 09, 2009, 05:45:05 PM
I wouldn't want the Kaiser's agents getting wind of my where abouts.  But if you are so inclined you can follow my story at http://twitter.com/VonSuriehl   I've only just begun chronicling my adventures there.

Too late, my esteemed ex-officer for I have found you here! ;D
Drats.  I should have known better.  Oh Well, off I go again.

MWBailey

I say, was that young fellow "on the lam," as they say?

MWBailey

suriehl

Quote from: MWBailey on February 18, 2009, 06:43:37 AM
I say, was that young fellow "on the lam," as they say?

MWBailey
On my airship, actually.  ;)

Prof Marvel

Soooooooooo

Thread Necromancy!
Why not? I stumbled across this bit from the past whilst downloading BG for prosperity posterity and thought...

Heavens!

Under certain strict circumstances,
said archiving
could, might may be
construed as a possible form of
piracy?

and thus, prf grumbles might in some circles be considered
a pirate?

hmmmmm
welllllll

THAT WILL NOT DO!
see, as an ex-facto interested party and almost a principal ( ok at least a tenured teacher) and certainly having contributed
some content I am therefore an interested party, and not even third-party at that!

And based upon such a certain amount of vested interest and IP contribution,  
one could invoke a combination of Common Law use and Squatters Rights.

Thus I have retroactively issued to myself,

Letters Of Marque

Habeous Corpus, Ipso Factum,  Cognito Ergo Sum , and Non Carborundum Illigitimi!

I declare myself a legitamite  Privateer and Soldier of Misfortune
and invoke my "get out of jail free" phonecall email to my prior employers' VP of Security **
presenting the following Dictum from The Cardinal:

"It is by my order and for the benefit of the State that the bearer of this note has done what he has done."
Signed ....

It pays to have friends in high places.

prof captain marvel, privateer

** in a different world than BG, whilst in the employ of a certain redacted , I was the only IT professional
who was willing to help the Security Team fix their stuff and actually assist with internal investigation,
and more qualified than they expected, and not only befriended the whole SecTeam but the boss as well...
When I left the corp to go work in the more fascinating and open commercial realm ( where i got my patents, btw)
the Head of Security appeared ,
               (with me waltzing about in my Mountain Man Hudson Bay Capote and Beaver Hat... last day, you know)
and gave me his business card with his personal home landline and cell number

saying "if you ever need it, call me"

and when I looked at him quizzically , he said  "oh trust me you will 'know when you need it' "

I still have that card lol

MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Banfili

Letters Of Marque - a legitimate form of government sponsored piracy!

That's the way to proceed, even if your enemies don't believe it so! Remember to keep your Letter of Marque either on your person or easily accessible to your hand - that is what that leather bag slung over your shoulder is for! Also, it pays to keep said Letter securely wrapped in several seperate layers of oilcloth to protect it from salt water or aerial Kraken spit!!

Thank you, Prof Marvel, for bringing this particular topic to my attention - it predates my BG membership!

Actually, when I think about it, I'd rather think of myself as a Free Trader, with a heightened sense in self-protection! That is, shoot at me, and I will shoot back, ignore me, and I will watch you as you pass by, alert to all treachery, and at the first sign of same, blow you (one way or another) out of the water or out the air!!

Xenos

So the lore behind the character of one Xenos Markus O'Sullivan is that he is in fact, Captain of the AO Victoria, Commander of the elite unit known as the Aeronauts. He is operating under a Letter of Marque from the Architect himself, and as such does not consider himself a pirate.

That said, since I'm like as not never going to actually finish working on that universe/fiction
Spoiler: ShowHide
He's also actively working to undermine the Architect and bring the whole system down, considering he's one of the highest ranking navel officers in the military, and he's in a torrid relationship with a resistance cell leader.

So yeah. He's a pirate who's not a pirate.

As for me personally? To quote a particularly canny cove:
QuoteYe don't want to be like me, lads. Listen now. Me an' those coves over there, we're the ones what the scary folk are afraid of. An' that's cause we keep the rules for the world they live in. we don't much care if ye shirk yer chores, or get into fights...

But if ye ever break the code an' betray yer mates, then that's when we'll come after ye--no matter how far ye run or how well ye hide! Live yer life like the hero ye want to be, though, an' ye'll never need worry about that.

In other words, yes, yes I'm a pirate.
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

MWBailey

*Stumble*
*fall*

CRASH

OWUCH!

That's what kind of pirate I am!

Seriously, though, I'm a bit like Sparrow's Mister Gibbs. The kind what knows what's in th' code, what ain't, why certain people are the way they are, and which 'uns tae avoid on a bad day. Or ever, in some cases.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Prof Marvel

Quote from: MWBailey on January 26, 2022, 04:40:45 AM
... and which 'uns tae avoid on a bad day. Or ever, in some cases.

"How not to be seen"
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

MWBailey

Quote from: Prof Marvel on January 27, 2022, 01:45:24 AM
Quote from: MWBailey on January 26, 2022, 04:40:45 AM
... and which 'uns tae avoid on a bad day. Or ever, in some cases.

"How not to be seen"

That be another way tae put it, aye.

(When'm I gonna stop talkin' loik this? lol)

Hurricane Annie

Coming from a long line of nautical and military  persons, full on  piracy and brigandry are possibly so rich in the blood and entrenched in family traditions  that's its viewed more as general practice. Camel, horse or rum trading is all the same. Requisitioning, taxing or pillaging all is fair in love and war.

von Corax

Definitely not a pirate.

Scientist, engineer, explorer, tinkerer and contraptor. Civilian officer in the Corps of Royal Surveyors, Explorers and Discoverers. Mission Commander of the HMÆ Harbinger Expeditions. Archæology, anthropology, zoology, zymurgy or transthanatology, I seek the secrets of the Universe, and bedamned to those who would call that knowledge "forbidden!"

I am not mad; I am merely irritated by the strictures of scientific orthodoxy.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

MWBailey

Quote from: von Corax on March 04, 2022, 07:27:42 AM
I seek the secrets of the Universe, and bedamned to those who would call that knowledge "forbidden!"

Was that a runescript that just blew out of your pocket?

(just a joking reference to an old movie)