News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

What kind of pirate or non-pirate are you?

Started by Albrecht, May 17, 2008, 09:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught

Definitely I am a patroller of the High Seas keeping them safe from those who think a letter of Marque makes them 007. After all, when you hang a pirate, you get to keep his treasure. Anybody want to buy a map with a big X on it?

Tom OBedlam

good lord, a pirate? me? heavens no. i design calculating engines and like my tea green
http://tomobedlampof.wordpress.com/

I slept and I dreamed of a time long ago
I saw an army of rebels, dancing on air
I dreamed as I slept, I could see the campfires,
A song of the battle, that was born in the flames,
and the rebels were waltzing on air.

Albrecht

Quote from: fciron on June 04, 2008, 08:30:50 PM

She had nothing good to say about those teeth. I thought I was helping. I couldn't really understand what she was yelling as I left. (She didn't have her teeth in.) I just assumed that she was celebrating the removal of her horrid falsies.

Ah, I see. That's alright, then.

fciron

Quote from: Albrecht on June 08, 2008, 09:26:15 PM
Quote from: fciron on June 04, 2008, 08:30:50 PM

She had nothing good to say about those teeth. I thought I was helping. I couldn't really understand what she was yelling as I left. (She didn't have her teeth in.) I just assumed that she was celebrating the removal of her horrid falsies.

Ah, I see. That's alright, then.

I told you I am not a pirate.
Unless surgically removed my tongue will remain planted firmly in my cheek at all times.

James Harrison

Pirate? I? Good heavens, no.  I may be a dandy, a designer, a cad and a bounder at times, but I am no pirate. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Tanvi_Sunil

Me a Pirate? No Sir/mam...unless that there is there is an opening for a Pirate somewhere. Is there??????????

Of course I have considered it, which young lass...er lad hasn't?!
::Clears throat:: I consider myself a Jack of all trades, finding work here and there where I can get it. I have many skills, oh and I'm a boy...I swear! ::looks around suspiciously::
"I'm a boy, I SWEAR!"
-Raj Sunil

"Bread and Water can so easily be Toast and Tea..."
-Unknown

fciron

The sailors got their tot of rum and drank success to trade
And also to the cabin boy who was neither man nor maid
Here's hoping wars will rise no more, our sailors to destroy
Here's hoping for a jolly lot more like the handsome cabin boy.

Hmmm, what? Why, yes, we may have an opening on board after all.
Unless surgically removed my tongue will remain planted firmly in my cheek at all times.

SteamBlast Mary

Quote from: Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught on June 06, 2008, 11:10:34 PM
Definitely I am a patroller of the High Seas keeping them safe from those who think a letter of Marque makes them 007. After all, when you hang a pirate, you get to keep his treasure. Anybody want to buy a map with a big X on it?

;D

In the same way a professorship in Archeology doesn't save you from accusations of being a graverobber and sacred site defiler?
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

Hester

Quote from: fciron on June 11, 2008, 05:00:08 AM
The sailors got their tot of rum and drank success to trade
And also to the cabin boy who was neither man nor maid
Here's hoping wars will rise no more, our sailors to destroy
Here's hoping for a jolly lot more like the handsome cabin boy.

Strike up the band!

"The Handsome Cabin Boy" performed by The Churchfitters:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9fAS-7WKpJs

"Ta, darling!  I'll bring it back when I'm finished with it!
(If I'm not too drunk to remember where I got it.)

DreddPirateBob

Pirate of the sea and skies, liberator of the meek (and money), champion of the poor (and those willing to pay), attempting to be counted a gentleman though more likely to be considered a stray.

Though i must say since some individuals (not that i would name names) have brought the profession into disrepute i find 'privateer' a simpler title (and one less likely to get me keel hauled).

Sir Vrilhelm Dreadnaught

Mal `e Diction

Pirate? Oh yes, very pirate. Last year my husband gave me a cutlass for my birthday. God, I love that man. ;)
Gypsy time-traveler acquiring intergalactic artifacts for the purpose of lucrative, clandestine remuneration—Pyrate!.

Bombardier on the Columbia's Revenge airship.

Torvald_Faust

A persistent, pilfering privateer, that is what I am. This means that I, to some, am a pirate. I can live with that ;)

Gentleman-Adventurer

Quote from: Torvald_Faust on June 13, 2008, 01:39:32 PM
A persistent, pilfering privateer, that is what I am. This means that I, to some, am a pirate. I can live with that ;)

Huzzah, hurrah, and hurray! Well said, indeed!
"What do we do? You're asking me 'what do we do'? We do what we always do....We CHARGE, by thunder!" Captain Haephestus Burnside, of the "Reckless Abandon", shortly before a boarding action.

"You rampallian! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe!" Henry IV, Act II Scene I, WS.

Torvald_Faust

Quote from: Gentleman-Adventurer on June 13, 2008, 02:05:14 PM
Quote from: Torvald_Faust on June 13, 2008, 01:39:32 PM

Huzzah, hurrah, and hurray! Well said, indeed!

Thank you, good sir :) 'Tis easy to speak well, in my humble opinion, if one speaks of things that he or she feels to be true ;)

CyberStormAlpha

Bah! Pirates... We don't need an uncontrolled factor altering the tenuous balance of power between the nations.  Nay, Her Majesty's Aerofleet can keep the skies safe plenty AND protect the down trodden.

So, um, yeah; I'm not a pirate so much...  I could see a Sir Francis Drake-type at the worst, but probably more like a Horatio Nelson.  After all, someone has to keep the skies safe from those of who would rob others of their due effects.
Captain said to big old John Henry,
That old drill keeps a-coming around.
Take that steam drill out and start it on that job
Let it whop, let it whop that steel on down
Let it whop, let it whop that steel on down.

Gazongola

I am a Buccaneer. A rogue, handsome, loveable, and always on the run. Hero trousers, a gun in every available place and a few swords and daggers for good measure. God I am sexy. Mind you, my birthday is on Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Cassandra

I once had a trade as a sort of treasure hunter, antiques and bullion and that sort of thing, but we would--er--pirate at times. I guess that would make me a swashbuckling adventurer more than a pirate, dashing and reasonably polite, mightier with my sword than with my stench.* Sadly, my ship and most of my crew was lost in a thunderstorm during Indiana's monsoon season, so now I'm on the lookout for a new ship. Some pirate ships have offered me a place, but full-time pillaging just isn't my thing.

And to Gentleman-Adventurer and DrEllaNunn, whose posts I read earlier:
When I start college in the fall, I will be studying to be an archaeologist. Small world, huh?

*An apology to all the dandy gentlemen pirates out there, who wash their socks.

Gentleman-Adventurer

Archaeology is just the incarnation of academic cool. Nobody doing Economics or Food Science can say: "Ye Gods, it's the Pearl Emblem of Tikalli! Found after so many years!"
"What do we do? You're asking me 'what do we do'? We do what we always do....We CHARGE, by thunder!" Captain Haephestus Burnside, of the "Reckless Abandon", shortly before a boarding action.

"You rampallian! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe!" Henry IV, Act II Scene I, WS.

Aether Pirate

Quote from: Cassandra on June 14, 2008, 12:50:36 AM*An apology to all the dandy gentlemen pirates out there, who wash their socks.
Trying to remember when last I washed my stockings... not that it matters, clean stockings or no, I'm rather certain most of my crew would put me in the "gentleman pirate" category.

fciron

Quote from: Aether Pirate on June 14, 2008, 11:39:21 AM
Quote from: Cassandra on June 14, 2008, 12:50:36 AM*An apology to all the dandy gentlemen pirates out there, who wash their socks.
Trying to remember when last I washed my stockings... not that it matters, clean stockings or no, I'm rather certain most of my crew would put me in the "gentleman pirate" category.

I washed my stocking 25 May 2008 at the conclusion of my last cruise, however I am still unlikely to be classed in the 'gentleman' category. Far too interested in getting dirty.

Cassandra

Quote from: Gentleman-Adventurer on June 14, 2008, 10:23:23 AM
Archaeology is just the incarnation of academic cool. Nobody doing Economics or Food Science can say: "Ye Gods, it's the Pearl Emblem of Tikalli! Found after so many years!"

Food Science adventurer: "Ye Gods, it's the Lost Realm of Canned Tomatoes! What a shelf-life!"

Yeah, it doesn't sound quite as cool, even if they do make more money than us.

Quote from: fciron on June 14, 2008, 03:43:30 PM
Quote from: Aether Pirate on June 14, 2008, 11:39:21 AM

I washed my stocking 25 May 2008 at the conclusion of my last cruise, however I am still unlikely to be classed in the 'gentleman' category. Far too interested in getting dirty.

I'm thinking of revoking my statement now...

Tom OBedlam

ah but we in the Philosophy school can sit in a cafe chain smoking all day reading french poetry then leap to our feat, exclaiming "I have solved Zeno's Paradox, huzzah! Another espresso and a french filterless fag barkeep!"
http://tomobedlampof.wordpress.com/

I slept and I dreamed of a time long ago
I saw an army of rebels, dancing on air
I dreamed as I slept, I could see the campfires,
A song of the battle, that was born in the flames,
and the rebels were waltzing on air.

Albrecht

Quote from: Tom OBedlam on June 14, 2008, 03:55:33 PM

ah but we in the Philosophy school can sit in a cafe chain smoking all day reading french poetry then leap to our feat, exclaiming "I have solved Zeno's Paradox, huzzah! Another espresso and a french filterless fag barkeep!"

but archaeology has Dr Jones and (to a certain degree) Alan Quartermain.

Gentleman-Adventurer

Archaeology ain't about the money, it's about discovery! Peeling back the layers of history like a great mysterious onion! Sifting through the remains of past epochs, to uncover their lives in vivid detail!