News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Fifty-Plus Club for SteamGeezers

Started by OldProfessorBear, May 29, 2009, 12:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TVC15

Well, not quite a road trip but going to see the road races at Barber's on Sunday. Missed last year's and now it's time to make it up there. The museum there is wonderful with a fair amount of vintage motocycles on display. Big difference between the velocette and what will be on the track.
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Engineer

How many of us in the 50+ Club are going to the Asylum? Is there any mileage on meeting up for a drink or meal on the Friday evening prior partaking in the festivities at the Lawns?

engineRmRaphi

At 63, I don't have to petition for admission.  But it is certainly uplifting to see the younger set seeking honorary membership.  I prithee reach wisdom far faster than we antique brass ever did.

Such largesse.  Or is that just plain largeness.  As I've mentioned elsewhere within this august forum, becoming large is often the somewhat regretted outcome of a rather haphazard approach to ageing.  But then again, if one applies oneself diligently, food for thought may be metabolized into a hearty appetite for knowledge. 

Oh, and should not the title here be Steam-GEAR-zers? 

Do keep in mind that an appropriate application of lubrication keeps the machinery operating.  Absinthe, laudanum, properly prepared British tea. 

But please, no oblique references, even when actually discussing engines, to "top dead center."  Or to "dead reckoning" when navigating.

As we marine engineers say upon retiring: FWE.  Which is the engine room telegraph signal sent from the ship's bridge indicating "finished with engines."

Raphi Alexandrian, <br />Marine Steam Engineer. <br />Advocate for the laboring classes.<br />Practitioner of the Egyptian mysteries, Hermeticism, & Christian cabala.

Angus A Fitziron

Quote from: engineRmRaphi on June 20, 2011, 11:36:52 PM
      Oh, and should not the title here be Steam-GEAR-zers? 

Welcome Raphi - I prefer Steam Geyser myself - always blowing my top...

Today I am feeling my age.
On Sunday, I went with a good friend to celebrate father's day helping him enter his 1921 Humber motorcycle in the Banbury Run, a time trial and concours for 600 bikes 1930 or older. An early start and late finish took its toll.
On Monday, I worked all day in the sun with another friend of similar vintage to me, building some pine T&G panels (does this count as historic, I mean who has done pine panelling since 1973?). I finished putting the sound desk back together at 6 (that's what the panels are for) and by 7 I had gone home, showered, eaten, changed and gone out to a Samba drum workshop.
Today I have shopped, done drop offs various and prepared dinner and now I'm tired.

On top of this two of my father's day presents contained adult material - TMTWNBBFN's Now That's What I Call Steampunk and the DVD of The Crimson Petal and the White. My little babies aren't babies any more, in fact two of them have babies of their own!

However, thank you Tesco for helping me in my project to drink round the world with a bottle of "Lithuania's Most Popular" Svyturys Ekstra - very pleasant.
Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"

Mr Addams

Quote from: Engineer on June 19, 2011, 07:42:20 PM
How many of us in the 50+ Club are going to the Asylum? Is there any mileage on meeting up for a drink or meal on the Friday evening prior partaking in the festivities at the Lawns?

I would certanly be up for a pre-asylum Geezers get together.

Miles (a sailor)Martin

sounds like fun ,but , :(
wrong side of the pond for me :'(

maybe when my number comes up in the lottery.
                                             Miles

must go buy a ticket for the lottery, then i will have a chance at winning
Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo

barb dwyer

Hello all, and thank you for the invitation!

I certainly qualify chronologically,
if not in maturity.

I do like posting with those
who remember black and white tv
and waited for the year
that Gilligan would get off that dreadful island.

My children are grown as well
and if they were to try to move in with me
they'd have to write down my tag# to find me first!

I'm a full time college student
(alas - NOT the oldest on campus)
spending most days up to my armpits
in youthful hormonal fluxes to my advantage.
(everyone wants the 'mom' woman in their study group, you see)

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and making new friends
in this steamgeezer forum!

*Relentless Optimystic *

Miles (a sailor)Martin

We are a wildy vairied lot 'round here, as you may have noticed.
So  welcome aboard , watch  for the cat, beware the dog( he will try to give you a bath), and enjoy yourself.                                   Miles
Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.

barb dwyer

Thank you!

Well, it's almost here - any interesting plans for the fourth?

As I type - illegal fireworks are blasting off across town.
There's no use in trying to enforce any laws prohibiting it...
this is Butte... (pronounced BEAUTE)
people here love to blow things up.

reminds me of ex number three...
*Relentless Optimystic *

MWBailey

I'll probably fire off a few of my caps in my costume guns-- In a secluded spot lacking dry grass or dead vegetation. This is Texas, after all, where the only thing green is the sales tax I just paid on my gas....

Then again, maybe just an air popgun...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Camera Obscura

We are in Texas and have an invitation from a member of our extended family to a party on the 4th. I know he is a fireworks junky and am somewhat concerned about the dry/fire danger in the area. Have not decided we can go or not.
----------------------------------------------------------------
"The illiterate of the future will be the person ignorant of the use of the camera as well as of the pen."
      Maholy-Nagy, Vision in Motion, 1947

Will Howard

I turned 64 last March so I certainly qualify.  Add my name to the membership rolls.
"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."

Eric T Paradigm

Count me in, gentlefolk. I am 62 and already equipped with a steam mobility scooter. The great thing about getting older is you can "forget" to do the things that you don't like and concentrate more on the fun stuff.
Eric T. Paradigm
Chief Engineer & Proprietor
Paradigm Engineering Co. Ltd
Hampshire

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

barb dwyer

If only I *could* go the the UK pre- asylum meetup!

Maybe next year - if this business works out.... *crossing fingers*

I'd transfer schools in a kentucky minute and just hang out for the DWcon as well.

*Relentless Optimystic *

ladyelsie

ENGINEER, There will be a pre-asylum get together on the Thursday evening if you arrive early. During the day on Fri I will be busy over at the Castle, but could pop over to the Victoria, or maybe the the Magna Carta. for a swift G&T.

L.E.

Nokose Fixico

Hello I am Bob Fixico, I turned 51 last month so I think I just skirted my way into the club. I am fairly new to Steampunk and was quiet ignorant of it for a long time until lately. I stumbed into SteamPunk while participating in SASS/Cowboy Action Shooting and CivilWar Reenactment. Oh Btw I am turning this into my introduction also. My youngest son is into steampunk I will try to my grandsons involved as they get older.

Hope to type with you all soon.
Bob Nokose Fixico
Bob Nokose Fixico
Muskogee Creek Scout US Army (ret)
Yes I am Bob, looking for the next job.

barb dwyer

*Relentless Optimystic *

Camera Obscura

I still would think of most of you as the "young ones"! Are there any other over 70s here?
----------------------------------------------------------------
"The illiterate of the future will be the person ignorant of the use of the camera as well as of the pen."
      Maholy-Nagy, Vision in Motion, 1947

Engineer

Quote from: ladyelsie on June 29, 2011, 06:46:36 PM
ENGINEER, There will be a pre-asylum get together on the Thursday evening if you arrive early. During the day on Fri I will be busy over at the Castle, but could pop over to the Victoria, or maybe the the Magna Carta. for a swift G&T.

L.E.

LADY ELSIE, unfortunately I'll probably not be in Lincoln until late afternoon on the Friday, so I will have to bump into you on Friday evening (G&T sounds an excellent idea). My timings on the evening are still up in the air and will depend on when the bands are playing in the Lawns, as I want to catch our BG chums in Broadarrow Jack.

ladyelsie

Engineer,
I am sure we will see each other during the weekend. I will be confined to the prison during the day, but in the evenings I will be in the Lawns.

It is likely that Broard Arrow Jack will be the first act on at 'Friday Night at the Asylum'.

See you there.

Engineer

Lady Elsie - will you require G&T rations to be brought to you in the prison?

ladyelsie

That would be an act of a true Gentleman.

L.E.   8)

Miles (a sailor)Martin

last post from me for three or four days as I have to pack and get ready for the drive to New Mexico ,I will be leaving Md. in the early afternoon. wish me luck.   Miles

barb dwyer

Luck!

Drive safe and keep one eye out for deer!
*Relentless Optimystic *

Miles (a sailor)Martin

Why thank you, I'll watch out for you,but unless you're fuzzing in your profile address ,I'll be a thousand miles or so South of you at best.  as for the other dears on the forum, If i see someone with car trouble I usually will stop to check and lend a hand .
                                                   Good Day to you and your'n
                                                         Miles