News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Extended Steam Salon

Started by The Abiliegh, June 04, 2009, 07:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Abiliegh

So, you've found us, the newest meta-club on the block. Yah, that flickering neon sign out front might have made it pretty easy...

So, come on in, all are welcome. Be you a Veteran of the Martian Wars, a gumshoe needin' a drink between jobs, a dame looking for some company, or just a regular ol' Joe, this is the place for you. Tell us your stories, have a drink, show off your newest steamy ray gun, and listen to a little music in good company. The ciggarette gals will be around shortly!

(With all the interest of late in exploring steampunk possibilities in different eras, i thought this would be a fun way to further explore the idea!)

Quote from:  Rules and Considerations for the Role Player
-All RP posts will be limited to furthering the game 30 minutes of in-game time, with a few exceptions. Events such as minimal vehicular travel (single short trips, not to go over a few hours), sleeping, mealtimes, and the like may be excused, but please be mindful of other charaters trying to interact during these times. If people are still discussing/doing something, let them finish before moving the story forward.
-Chapters will be used to add a little suspense to the story and to move the timeline of the story forward in greater increments. Abiliegh will be in charge of setting chapter ends, and will post in the begining of each chapter a summary of what happened during the time skipped.
-Try to avoid using other's characters over much in your posts without their permission (or obvious indication of future course of action).
-Have fun!

*These were added after group discussion on the subject
Action! Adventure! Possible Harlotry!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!
BrassGoggles 2012 Pin-Up Calander!

Taluria

Looks like my kind of place. *finds a good place to watch people* >>
(Just had a bit of a discussion with a friend about this, actually.)
Lilian Aston Talbot of the International Cryptozoological and Supernatural Research Society.
"Oh yes, I research and look for mythical beasts. Sea serpents, Phoukas, good men... That sort of thing."
http://twitter.com/OfTheICaSRS

The Abiliegh

Wonderful, and welcome!

Tell us more about the conversation. What era were you thinking? (I'm a noir gal, myself...)
Abis do it for SCIENCE!

Captain Brandsson

Bourbon...
And show it to a glass of water, but be discreet.

- Maximilian

Taluria

I have a tendency for complete anachronism, actually. Though I haven't the figure for it, I adore flapper-ish fashions, as well as Victorianesque. Noir is good as well. I also tend to mix my "steamy" stuff with modern things as well. Take my current outfit: A  dusty purple and sage green tie-dyed t-shirt (which probably needs to be disposed of), my goggles (WWI motorcycle goggles, which I love), black jeans, lowtop black chucks, some bangles, and a top hat.
Lilian Aston Talbot of the International Cryptozoological and Supernatural Research Society.
"Oh yes, I research and look for mythical beasts. Sea serpents, Phoukas, good men... That sort of thing."

qui est in literis

"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply

Taluria

The Abiliegh

It sounds like we've got a similar style. I mix and match alot, in my everyday wear :D

Today is a bit more low key. I've got black cargo pants, a blue/green blouse on with a few brassy acents, polka-dotted flipflops, and my hair down and curly, with brass and copper snaps holing it out of my face. So, I understand :)

As far as something more steamy, I've decided that I *must* modify and old 1940's camera. I've got this steampunk Lois Lane image in my head that I cannot shake....

Miss Holmes, always a pleasure, doll. And welcome, brother. Here's your drink.
Abis do it for SCIENCE!

qui est in literis

~waves and finds a lurking spot~  ;D

Qui Est In Literis

Taluria

Well, the hat and goggles will have to go in a bit, as I'm going to visit the grandmother later. I'm mostly wearing it to make sure the scarf I'm using for an accent will work out. But I'm currently working on a few things to wear more often, as my everyday clothes are simply t-shirts and jeans with at most, goggles added on top.  

Ooh... Cameras. Sorry, I'm an amateur photographer. Anything involving cameras is instantly interesting to me.

*Drags Miss Holmes out of lurk, if only for a hug*

qui est in literis

~is dragged and hugged~ <3

Hmm. Now I'm wondering whether I should have gotten that old Kodak while they had it in the local antiques store (stuck between piles of Beanie Babies).

Qui Est In Literis

The Abiliegh

When in doubt, hunny, the answer is yes.  :-*

I'm going to be trolling ebay and the like. I'd like one that works, if at all possible!
Abis do it for SCIENCE!

qui est in literis

Well, it was either the Kodak, or the 1890s syringe-and-needle set.

Qui Est In Literis

steampunkgrrrl

*sneaks in quietly and finds a place to sit*

Taluria

*laughed at the Beanie Babies comment, sorry.* And that would be a rather hard choice...
Ugh... Yeah, definitely going trolling the antiques shops this weekend. I need a new hatbox, for one thing(mine's been taken over by yarn). And to look for other things. I've also been working on a few sketches of som later "steam" outfits... But they're definitely still in the rough stages.

qui est in literis

~rants about Beanie Babies NOT COUNTING AS ANTIQUES~
LOL, is your yarn breeding, too? >>

Speaking of antiques, though... I think I'm going to go troll the stores one more time.

Qui Est In Literis

The Abiliegh

oooh, do share once you've got them all nicened up!

And okay, thats a valid choice. An easier one for me, with a tremendous fear of needles, but a valid choice ;)

And hatboxes... don't get me started. I've had the most difficult time finding one the right size for my tophat. Most of my hats have their own boxes, my net & feather cap has it's own little perch, but my top hat still lives in the cardboard box it was shipped in ::sigh::
Abis do it for SCIENCE!

Sgt.Major Thistlewaite

It was a dark and stormy night.....Thunderstorms had rolled through earlier, leaving the streets as steamy as the back room of a Chinatown laundry, and knocking out the streetlights. "Huh" thought T.E." It's as black out here as a loan shark's heart." Pulling the collar of his trench coat up, he rounds a corner, and sees the welcoming flicker of a neon sign..a martini glass, with the olive blinking on and off, and the word "Cocktails" glowing a steady blue. A slight grin lifts one corner of his slash of a mouth, and he mutters "Well, alright...a new place. At least it's a dry spot to smoke a coffin nail." Pushing through the heavy door, he enters and scans the room, shaking the rain off his coat, and hanging it and his fedora on the coat-tree by the door. His grey suit coat is rumpled, and doesn't fit well enough to hide the big automatic in the shoulder holster. "Well," he thinks to himself, " If anybody in here's got a problem with me packin' a gat, I guess I'll find out soon enough." Through the smoky atmosphere, he spies a stunning broad over by the bar. Something in her stance tells him she's the owner. Pulling a Camel out of the pack with his teeth, he flips open his old Zippo and sparks it.
"Hey, dollface, who's a guy got to kill to get a drink around here?" "Whiskey..straight up..make it a double."
Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.

Honeybell

*lurks on in, only to find a beanie baby sitting in her chair*

What the deuce?!

The Abiliegh

She smiles at the man, just a little smirk that lifts the painted corners of her lips. "Light me a nail, darlin." Her eyes flash a bit, mischief hidden behind a classy facade.

She moves behind the bar, and turns toward a rather large machine. She pulls a lever or two, presses a few button, and it whirs to life. A whiskey glass drops into a metal tray, and fills quickly with liquor. After another fills, she takes them from the machine and returns to the man, noting silently the outline of a gun under his coat.

"Drink up, and welcome to my Salon."

Abis do it for SCIENCE!

Sgt.Major Thistlewaite

"Classy dame," thinks T.E. Up close, she's even better looking, and he gets a whiff of an intoxicating perfume. He shakes another unfiltered Camel out of the pack,passes it to her, and sparks the Zippo into flame again. Taking the glass from her, he *clinks* the edge against hers. He raises one eyebrow as he raises the glass, and says, "Here's lookin' at you, kid." Taking a long swallow, he feels the slow burn of the whiskey as it starts to take the chill off the rainy evening. The lady holds his gaze, smoky, sultry, almost an air of mischief in her eyes. "This one could be trouble..." he says to himself, "but trouble's what the "T" in T.E. stands for..."
He allows himself another flicker of a grin, as he gives her a quick up and down, then meets her direct look again. "Lady," he says, " I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.

The Abiliegh

She takes a pull of the cigarette, enjoying it for the moment. After a slow exhale, she lifts her glass to his cheers. "It's always good to make friends of the men who come in packin, love." She sips at the whiskey, that smirk playing over her features once more.

She takes a moment to give the lounge a once over before returning her attention to the man. "You picked a quiet night to come out. What brings ya in?" She pushes a hand through her heavy curls and leans against the bar: casual, elegant, and probably dangerous.

(You've got to be careful, quoting Bogey at me  ;) )
Abis do it for SCIENCE!

fireheart storm

She strides in, smiling like it's no ones business and unceremoniously flops down onto a chair.  "How about something nice and hot? It's crazy weather we're having," she shakes out her dampened hair.  "and I'm cold to the core,"

Sgt.Major Thistlewaite

The door opens, letting in a blast of wind and rain. Another girl comes in, and strides across the room and takes a chair. Reflexively, he watches her until she's seated, then turns his attention back to the owner.Taking another pull from the whiskey, T.E. swallows..a little harder than he meant to, as the proprietor lounges back against the bar, as languid as a cat. "A big cat," he thinks, " A big jungle cat, secure in her own environment, a top predator, comfortable in her own skin." She raises a hand and runs it through her thick hair. He's a tough guy, and he's had plenty of frails in his life, but he's not immune to feminine charms, just hardened. Answering her question, he says, "Insurance job...I've been tailing this rummy all day, I think he torched a place for Lippy the Lizard last week. He passed out in a flophouse an hour ago, and I just started walkin'...I do my best thinkin' when I'm walkin'. Then I ran across your place, thought I'd stop in for a shot and a smoke. I'm a P.I...." He fishes in an inside pocket, and flips a card onto the bar-

"My friends call me Tommy...."

The Abiliegh

"Mrs. Cross." She introduces herself as she takes the card from the counter. In the dim lighting, one can still see that there isn't a wedding band on her finger. She takes another drink of her whiskey before tipping her head towards the new patron. "Right back with ya, Mr. Gunn." An award-winning smile flashes across her face and she moves down the bar to the woman.

"'Bout the only thing hot you're going to get in here is the dish I've got singing later. But I can get you something that will put a little fire in your stomach, if ya'd like." She pulled out an ashtray, and set it on the bar, flicking another little bit of the ash from her camel into it while she waited.
Abis do it for SCIENCE!