News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Snowdon Day Trip

Started by Gin-Soaked, January 14, 2010, 10:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir A Poiselamppe

I feel the walk up would be wisely followed by the train down.....

Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge

Or ... ahem ... walk/train up; beer/wine/gin/tea and cakes at summit; walk down the other side; catch Welsh Highland Railway into Caernarfon; bus back to Llanberis. It is possible, I've done it, although you need to allow at least 6 hours for up and down (so leave Llanberis early). There's even a real ale pub at Rhyd-ddu to wait in if you've just missed the train ...

Skinner

I shall be walking up, then catching the train down, because I'm most likely to injure myself on the descent. Skinner shall not be tumbling after or breaking any bloody crowns, thank ye.

But I'll give the ascent a jolly good try.

However- I'm not sure I'll even be able to make it, it entirely depends upon what days are finally suggested. I have to work it around one week of exams, one week in dorset, one in cornwall as compulsory trips for university, and then one week in devon with my family. Gah!

Are we picnicking at the summit or shall I not bother to bring the blanket? Naturally I'm bringing my flag...
Jolly Roger, that is...

James Harrison

I regret to mention it, but the railway is so popular that people going up on it are only guaranteed a ride back down on the train they went up on.  So unfortunatelyI wouldn't bank on being able to take the train down the mountain unless you've taken it up the mountain in the first place  :(
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: James Harrison on March 16, 2010, 01:49:51 PM
I regret to mention it, but the railway is so popular that people going up on it are only guaranteed a ride back down on the train they went up on.  So unfortunatelyI wouldn't bank on being able to take the train down the mountain unless you've taken it up the mountain in the first place  :(
Oh... I've just read the small print on the Mountain Railway website, and it seems a return ticket gives you 30 minutes at the Summit. Not good at all. We could time the climb and train so we all arrive at the same time, but it give a tiny margin for error, and even less time to relax before the train must return.

Quote from: Skinner on March 16, 2010, 12:11:42 PM
Are we picnicking at the summit or shall I not bother to bring the blanket?
Mr. Harrison and I have been discussing the idea of acquiring an old canvas tent/shelter to set up at the Summit (there's plenty of space), so we can drink tea and/or beer in the shade. It'll be like a proper expedition.  ;)

Gin.

Esme Moore

can one buy a single ticket up and then another single ticket down later, givin one more time at the summit?

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: Esme Moore on March 16, 2010, 10:17:11 PM
can one buy a single ticket up and then another single ticket down later, givin one more time at the summit?
Yes, but it's only possible if there are spaces on the later trains, and summer is a very busy time.  :-\

Gin.

The Governess

There is now a change to the status for Himself and I on this...

.. As feared given that it's a bank holiday, Himself will now be spending it waving his weapon at paying customers.  So to speak.  So he is off the list entirely.

I'm still up for the walk, but now have no transport.  And public transport to get there takes rather a long time, and will certainly necessitate travel the day before.

Nor can I any longer offer anyone else a lift.  Sorry folks!

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

Esme Moore

Hmmnn... This doesn't sound so good for those not up to ascending and descending the peak by foot.  I like the idea, but it seems like circumstances make it less attractive. i am now wondering whether there might not be another, less popular peak that would make a better visit.

Mrs Van Horne

Would very much like to attend, but will have to investigate the practicalities of getting my wheelchair onto said train. I'm not at all impressed with the lack of time at the summit between trains! I am, however, a qualified red cross 1st aider, so I may have useful skills to peddle (I hope not in this case!)

20th & 21st October 2012
Steampunk Weekend at the Commandery (Worcester, UK)
on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/388026347890155/
web: http://steampunkcommandery.moonfruit.com/

Steampunk and Retro Jewellery & Accessories
~ http://ixykix.etsy.com/ ~
Member of Etsy Steam Team - Search for steamteam on etsy!
~ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ~

Grumfoss

Hello one and all, The Good Lady Wife as well as the Coglings will hopefully be in attendance however as the train is very expensive and I don't think the walk is suitable for Coglings I feel we will stay and man base camp.
Lets hope the weather will be kind to us.

Grum

James Harrison

Quite so, if the weather smiles upon us it'll prove worthwhile my hauling my BIG pair of binoculars all the way to the summit  :D
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Auntie Ludmilla

It looks as though our finances are not going to be able to stretch to this, unfortunately. Hopefully we will meet some of you in the Rifle club at the Whitby weekend meet in April. Sorry to miss this, maybe next time?
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna

Honeythorn

I cannot go any longer. I have zero means of getting there. And no suitable steampubnk clothing which is good for climbing a mountain in. I have no wish to boil or freeze to death, or break an ankle either.
<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·

E. T. Jonasson

Terribly sorry for not replying for quite a while, Gin-Soaked and others! I have been busy with ski trips as well as relocating to my homeland for the university Easter vacation. I will definitely take this chance for some Steampunk exercise! Walking it is!

Mrs Van Horne

I think we shall have to bow out of this one, my health is currently not up to it.

20th & 21st October 2012
Steampunk Weekend at the Commandery (Worcester, UK)
on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/388026347890155/
web: http://steampunkcommandery.moonfruit.com/

Steampunk and Retro Jewellery & Accessories
~ http://ixykix.etsy.com/ ~
Member of Etsy Steam Team - Search for steamteam on etsy!
~ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ~

djnorris_2000

I would be delighted to join you for a walk up Snowdon, if I could beg a lift from someone driving there.  Of course, I would provide petrol money and can travel to places near Milton Keynes by public transport to meet up with a driver.

James Harrison

Just a month to go... perhaps we'd better start looking at logistics for getting there?  If it's going to be a struggle finding lifts, it may be an idea to go via train to Bangor and then hire a charabanc to get us to Llanberis.... Bangor being about 11 or 12 miles distant.  Better yet, if small groups can coordinate and catch the same train then the taxi fare would not be so demanding.  Looking on thetrainline.com, there's a direct Birmingham-Bangor train leaving 9.24am and arriving 12.36pm.  

Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge

There's a direct bus from outside Bangor railway station, I think it's hourly.

Sir A Poiselamppe

Was going to drive direct on Friday, and camp overnight

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

I could probably get there fairly directly from Lime Street, although if there's anyone coming through or past Liverpool or St. Helens in a car with an empty space, I'd happily pay my share of the petrol money in exchange for a lift.

Esme Moore

Regrettably, I will not be taking part now. I look forward to seeing pictures of the expedition, though!

The Governess

Having done a bit of research, it looks like the walk takes on average about 4 hours up and 3 hours down, regardless of route (the shorter routes are apparently much more difficult and require navigationl the Llanberis path alongside the train is about 10miles but much easier, I've seen young children walking up with their grandparents).

So the start of the walk will need to be well before noon to be sure of completing and getting home in the same day...

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

lientie

That would be great, but I thought the train stopped going up snowdon now?
Confabulation!

Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge

No, but it does terminate services short of the summit the terminus over the winter.

http://www.snowdonrailway.co.uk/