News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Snowdon Day Trip

Started by Gin-Soaked, January 14, 2010, 10:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zpyder

I'd have thought the number of people doing the 3 peaks challenge would still be less of a pressure than just the fact that each of the peaks are the highest peak for their own country?

Gin-Soaked

Anyway. There's no need to continue the discussion of how difficult it's going to be, we're getting nowhere. Here's the POA:

• A small standalone trip to Snowdon for people to find their climbing legs.
  • A larger 3/4 day event (accounting for any extra travelling time) which covers all three peaks, and this will allow people to recharge overnight and have more time to converse. It'll be like a big Steampunk roadtrip.
  • Those that are interested are more than welcome to begin training for the 24 hour challenge that I will organise for 2011. This should be more than enough time to recover from the 3 day event, and train up to the standards required.

So to begin with. Who is up for the Snowdon day trip? All of those in favour, say "Aye".
We will need some volunteers who have a car (you will be able to climb with us) to help those who cannot drive get there, and also to save the planet by carsharing (and cut the fuel cost massively.

Those that do not like walking/climbing. Come anyway, and take the train up there, we'll have a few pots of tea while we're up there.

Lets not talk about the second (or third) event until we've sorted this.

Thanks much,
Gin.

stockton_joans

QuoteSo to begin with. Who is up for the Snowdon day trip? All of those in favour, say "Aye".

Aye, sound like fun, and i'd definatly be up for training up for the 3PC next year
Stockton Joans:
Gentleman
Tinkerer
Part time Illithid hunter

The Governess

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

Galina

Quote from: Tranzient Gallery on January 18, 2010, 07:40:17 PM
Well even though this challenge sounds great! I know I wouldn't be able to do it yet (not without some training as im out of pratice). but for those less expericenced in hill walking I will recomend starting by doing the 3 peaks challenge in Yorkshire. Ingleborough, Pen-y-gent, Whernside. http://www.thethreepeakschallenge.co.uk/Yorkshire-Three-Peaks-Challenge/
It was just a thought  ;D

At the risk of being off-topic (and getting eyebrows raised at me over teacup rims, et al) I second the Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge (as additional excitement for those in the North). My partner and a friend are planning this at some point this year, and her partner and I will be in the support car, complete with tea-making equipment, of course. I may have to leave the corsets and thermal waistcoats behind, but sturdy boots are never out of place.

(We did Ingleborough in the snow on Jan 1st. Lovely!)

Auntie Ludmilla

Count me as a maybe. The spirit is willing, but the finances are decidedly shaky.
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna

Honeythorn

If it turns out I can be wedged into someones/anyones car then AYE! I shall come to Snowdon.  ;D
<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·

Gazongola

Aye. As long as I am not busy. And not poor.

Sir A Poiselamppe

ladyelsie

Snowdon here we come, I will break it to the Major gently. I love the idea of a road trip as well but think a trail  run to Wales is a good idea. I will start to collect mountaineering teapots!
yours,
Lady Elsie.

Sir A Poiselamppe

Quote from: ladyelsie on January 20, 2010, 06:58:25 PM
I will start to collect mountaineering teapots!
yours,
Lady Elsie.

Are theses the sort with added crampons crumpets?

greensteam

This all now sounds much more likely to actually happen. The real nutters keen types can train up appropriately for next year and the rest of us can drink tea in pleasant surroundings.

Let me know when you are coming to Scotland to do Ben Nevis and i will try to see if the Glasgow steampunkers can meet up with you at any point, perhaps by taking the wonderful west highland rail trip up to Fort William.

There has been a LOT of snow this year in the highlands so leave it as late into the summer as you can, I would suggest.
So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.

Gin-Soaked

I think we should try to recreate this photo:  :D

An Alpine Club meet at the summit of Snowdon. 1883

Gin.

The Governess

by the way Gin, might it attract more people if you edit the title to show that it.s a Snowdon only doings first- might be less scary than the three peaks... Then you can brainwash I mean eloquently persuade them while you have them a-mountain-top.
Just a thought anyway.

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: The Governess on January 21, 2010, 10:47:12 PM
by the way Gin, might it attract more people if you edit the title to show that it.s a Snowdon only doings first- might be less scary than the three peaks... Then you can brainwash I mean eloquently persuade them while you have them a-mountain-top.
Just a thought anyway.

'tis a good idea Ma'am, thank you for the advice  :)

Gin.

SteamBlast Mary

Tentative "aye" here. Once the date's confirmed, I'll see about getting the Other Half to book it off work, too.

Assuming Frankencar gets through the MOT, we'll be driving too. PLEASE, PLEASE, IF YOU CAN NAVIGATE COME WITH US!!
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

zpyder

A provisional date would be handy, though I am guessing determining the date will be harder than the ascent itself!

karoshi

Quote from: Gin-Soaked on January 19, 2010, 10:52:26 AMSo to begin with. Who is up for the Snowdon day trip? All of those in favour, say "Aye".
We will need some volunteers who have a car (you will be able to climb with us) to help those who cannot drive get there, and also to save the planet by carsharing (and cut the fuel cost massively.

Those that do not like walking/climbing. Come anyway, and take the train up there, we'll have a few pots of tea while we're up there.

Might want to bear in mind this site, mentions that the Trains don't run to the suimmit until mid May due to snow, if it's running and the weather is suitable it's £25 for a return ticket to the summit.

I'm up for going as i've never been and i'd love to go up a mountain on a steam train. (the mere idea of climbing a mountain is enough to start my chest constricting :) )

I'd be coming from the west midlands.. depending on date i'll either be on a bike, in a 2seater car or possibly a 4seater (small back seats) car so may have one or two seats available in Steerage  :D

Edit
Just read a bit more of the site, looks like Hafod Eryri, the new visitor centre at the summit is due to open this spring
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."

James Harrison

A tentative aye from me.  Dependent upon dates and finances (as I'm sure everyone else is dependent) and my ability to get there, as I don't have a car. 

Spoiler: ShowHide
And of course how cheaply easily I can get hold of some tweeds.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Snowdon is easily within a trains' reach from me...Or I could get a lift from my father, it's not too far.

Ah, my own science's natural habitat - The pub on the top of the mountain.

Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis may present more of a problem due to distance, if I can't cadge a lift from someone. Snowdon, however, should be possible. Assuming I'm not in uni on the day.

zpyder

Annoyingly if its during the summer it's the season for fieldwork and so I should technically be busy knee deep in swamp or some such location. But maybe I can swing things if there's a provisional date at some point :D I could drive if people between Bournemouth and Wales need a lift too.

Gin-Soaked

Aha. Plenty of interest.  :)

Ok, provisional date...

Because the train does not go to the summit until mid May (thank you karoshi), we will need to go a bit later than I had in mind...

How about Saturday 29th May? Cross check it with your calendar, diary, parole officer ASAP so we can get this show on the road.

Gin.

greensteam

If Gordy goes to the wire, this could be one of the last weekends before the general election and hence an EXCELLENT weekend to be neither at home to answer the door to a series of politicos nor in your local shopping street being buttonholed by same.

[I know whereof I speak as I will be having to turn my hand to exactly those grim and pointless but unavoidable mass participation actions required of me]
So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.

Sir A Poiselamppe

Mr. Boltneck

I shall not be doing this, as it's a long way from California, but I wanted to say that Snowdon is a beautiful mountain. I did the hike up and over it in my youth, via the Crib Goch ridge trail. Striking, and vertiginous, as well as a good place to look for glories and Brokken Spectres, if weather conditions are right.
The old-fashioned cog railway is something every steampunk should see, too, assuming that they are still running the old version. It looked like public transport for Gormenghast.