News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Snowdon Day Trip

Started by Gin-Soaked, January 14, 2010, 10:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Himself

I agree with the governess, well done. Next time everest?

Click the picture to be magically transported to our FB page.
http://nigelwheelertimedealer.yolasite.com/

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on May 31, 2010, 04:01:46 AM
I am pleased to inform the board that the Brass Goggles Mountain Emasculation League made summit at 1215 yesterday, after an ascent of 4 hours and 10 minutes. In total, the trip took 7 hours and 58 minutes, including 30 minues summit time.
Fantastic!!! I wish I could have been there. ;D Did you take any pictures? :)

I hope you all had a great time. :)

Gin.

P.S. Himself, please don't temp me. :D

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Quote from: Gin-Soaked on May 31, 2010, 08:53:11 AM
Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on May 31, 2010, 04:01:46 AM
I am pleased to inform the board that the Brass Goggles Mountain Emasculation League made summit at 1215 yesterday, after an ascent of 4 hours and 10 minutes. In total, the trip took 7 hours and 58 minutes, including 30 minues summit time.
Fantastic!!! I wish I could have been there. ;D Did you take any pictures? :)

I hope you all had a great time. :)

Gin.

P.S. Himself, please don't temp me. :D

Sir A. Poiselamppe and James Harrisson did, I was too busy looking at the rocks.There wasn't a great deal to see at the summit, as it was all foggy.

Snowdon was the largest in the group of mountains the flank Llanberis, but the others are pretty brutal as well.

James Harrison

That was an outstanding weekend.  Also I made it to the summit first  ;D  (Although only by about 30 seconds.)

Now then, who wants photos?

Spoiler: ShowHide

LOADS (and I mean LOADS) more, and some of our visit to the Lake Railway and Slate Museum, can be found here.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Gin-Soaked

Wonderful photos. Have you got one of the group?

Gin.

James Harrison

Unfortunately not, as a tripod was something I forgot to take with me  :(

I believe however that Poisellampe and Sir Nick took one or two, including one of a steampunked mountain  :D
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

The Governess

Was it too windy to attempt a hat tower on the trig point?

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

James Harrison

Indeed it was.  My own tweed cap very nearly got blown off the summit after the wind got under the peak.  When we were on the cairn we had to hold onto our hats with one hand and the cairn itself with the other!  It was incredibly, unbelievably, almost dangerously gusty at the summit.  And cold.  And misty.  And foggy.  And wet.  And did I mention the cold and the wind?

The Governess

yes, that sounds like my previous visit. Standing a'top in August, watching the rain clouds sweeping in...

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
www.CrimsonClocks.com

James Harrison

It fogged up really quite badly just as we got to the summit and then mercifully cleared enough to take one or two photos from the ridges just as we started down.  I also regret to report a fatality- my new goggles lost their lenses in the scrum in the visitor centre at the summit  :'(

Esme Moore

Well done all!  Jolly good show! Mr Harrison, thank you for those photos of breathtaking views!

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Quote from: The Governess on May 31, 2010, 05:47:53 PM
Was it too windy to attempt a hat tower on the trig point?

Damn. We could have done that, if we'd thought of it. Maybe with a gloved hand holding down our miniature hat tower.

Okay, let's do that on the next ascent of the Brass Goggles Mountain Emasculation Society.

Sir A Poiselamppe

Quote from: James Harrison on May 31, 2010, 05:50:29 PM
Indeed it was.  My own tweed cap very nearly got blown off the summit after the wind got under the peak.  When we were on the cairn we had to hold onto our hats with one hand and the cairn itself with the other!  It was incredibly, unbelievably, almost dangerously gusty at the summit.  And cold.  And misty.  And foggy.  And wet.  And did I mention the cold and the wind?

and the crowds.... the previous days weather was awful so the summit was packed, the queues for tea, sausage rolls etc... were long to say the least....

next stop Scafell or Ben Nevis....

and now, some images ......

The view from Halfway....(down)

One of the steep sections

At the Summit

More Here:
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/APL_015/snowdon/?start=all

E. T. Jonasson

Looks like it ended up being a mighty successful trip indeed! Hopefully I can participate in the next climb instead! ;)

TimeTinker

Well done chaps.  An excellent endeavour.  Please accept my hearty congratulations.
[move]BE SPLENDID![/move]

Grumfoss

Congratulations on your exploits well done, shame I couldn't make it.

You chaps look great in your country tweeds, good job!

James Harrison

Many thanks for the congratulatory messages  :)

I've finally gotten around to stitching some of my photos together into the panoramas I intended them to be:

Spoiler: ShowHide

From the lower slopes looking toward the summit, which is obscured by a hill

The tarn at the foot of the ridge leading to the summit with other peaks rising in the distance

Llanberis Pass from an altitude of about 2000 feet, just after we passed under the railway for the second time

Gin-Soaked

Very nice panoramas Mr. Harrison!

And because I could not make this trip, I shall claim the Klein Matterhorn, and the Zugspitze for BrassGoggles when I go to Europe in July! :D We will take over the world's mountains eventually!

Gin.

James Harrison

The question now is "what next?"

We were over the weekend discussing one of three options:

• Scafell Pike
  • Ben Nevis
  • A return to Llanberis to circumnavigate the village via the eight or nine peaks surrounding it

A walk like this over and around Scafell would be interesting I think.

SteamBlast Mary

Well done, chaps! I hope you had an enjoyable time of it, too, despite the somewhat inclement weather.

Er... Malvern Hills next, perhaps?? As training for your next "proper" ascents, of course.
'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night'

Sir A Poiselamppe

Scafell pike  via Wastwater, takes in Britain best view... Wastwater Lake..... and a campsite with a pub serving food over the road...and it looks flat........

http://www.theoldpostofficecampsite.co.uk/

with the obligatory Narrow gauge railway running nearby...

http://www.ravenglass-railway.co.uk/index.html

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: SteamBlast Mary on June 03, 2010, 06:33:25 PM
Well done, chaps! I hope you had an enjoyable time of it, too, despite the somewhat inclement weather.

Er... Malvern Hills next, perhaps?? As training for your next "proper" ascents, of course.

I have just returned from an expedition there, and I claimed the Worcestershire beacon in the name of BG. :)

Gin.

Sir A Poiselamppe

Quote from: Gin-Soaked on June 03, 2010, 10:37:58 PM
Quote from: SteamBlast Mary on June 03, 2010, 06:33:25 PM

I have just returned from an expedition there, and I claimed the Worcestershire beacon in the name of BG. :)

Gin.

We need a flag of sorts... *Brassgoggles on tour 2010*....

James Harrison

Quote from: Sir A Poiselamppe on June 03, 2010, 10:22:29 PM
Scafell pike  via Wastwater, takes in Britain best view... Wastwater Lake..... and a campsite with a pub serving food over the road...and it looks flat........

http://www.theoldpostofficecampsite.co.uk/

with the obligatory Narrow gauge railway running nearby...

http://www.ravenglass-railway.co.uk/index.html

Now that does look a good walk.

The Governess

Looks very interesting, registering a tentative interest with the obligatory proviso dependent on dates, transport and funds...

CRIMSON CLOCKS
www.CrimsonClocks.com