News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

United Kingdom Register of Interests

Started by Doctor When, June 25, 2007, 10:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ella Kremper

I like Vimto! I'm drinking it right now. I can never find the carbonated version though.

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.

Herr Döktor

'Tis good stuff, and celebrating it's centenary this year: http://www.vimto.co.uk/

Dr cornelius quack

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

Jemima Annabelle Clough

Heretics, the lot of you!

Ribena all the way.
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

Mich

Talking of drinks, does anyone agree that Root Beer tastes like Germolene smells?

Herr Döktor

Quote from: Mich on May 12, 2008, 09:54:55 PM
Talking of drinks, does anyone agree that Root Beer tastes like Germolene smells?

Yes! Furthermore, the taste reminds me of dental surgeries!

I much prefer Dandelion & Burdock.

Orlando

The smell of Germolene comes from the methyl salicylate it contains (oil of wintergreen).  I have a garden shrub, Gaultheria.procumbens which produces this.

What thread is this?  Are we still on topic ?

Orlando.

Mercy

Quote from: Orlando on May 12, 2008, 10:36:35 PM

The smell of Germolene comes from the methyl salicylate it contains (oil of wintergreen).  I have a garden shrub, Gaultheria.procumbens which produces this.

What thread is this?  Are we still on topic ?

Orlando.

Well, I suppose Root Beer and it's associated smells could technically be an interest of the United Kingdom... but probably not as much as Tea.

Jemima Annabelle Clough

Oil of wintergreen is definitely an interest of this UK bod (I have a nice oil/lotion mix which contains rather a lot of it and makes my ankles feel nice in winter, albeit smelling of old ladies). And I get it from the UK, too, so double the interest! (I admint, that is very, very tenuous...)
---
Fellow of the RS
Wife of A E Clough
---

Mich

Quote from: Orlando on May 12, 2008, 10:36:35 PM

Orlando.
Bravo, I applaud you and your knowledge.( Plus I'm glad there's a reason for it. I HATE Root Beer).
But, I still think it's all relevant to the topic.( Even if it's not quite geographical, but there again I was in a different part of the World drinking it) ;D

Orlando

I used to fancy the idea of having my own physic garden.

Gaultheria.procumbens

Uses of Oil of Wintergreen - Fatal in large quantities? Didn't Withnail cover himself all over in Deep Heat?

Orlando.

terobi

Manchester/Lancashire, depending on the time of year.

Dr cornelius quack

Aha! another one!

Us Mancs need a get together.

It's the weekend. who's up for a pint.

Dr. Q.
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

terobi

Would do were I not in the middle of my exam period and nearing the limit of my overdraft. Would definitely be up for something after summer though.

HildeKitten

I'm in Belgium, but if you would all allow me to tag along, I'd love to come if there were a meet-up in London.
(I'd need to know well in time though because cheap Eurostar tickets are alas limited)

Jemima Annabelle Clough

You could join us at Kew in August? Kew tube should be around 45 minutes or so from Kings Cross, allowing for interchanges
---
Fellow of the RS
Wife of A E Clough
---

HildeKitten

I'd love to, do you have more information of the event?

Pheobsky

You will find everything here:
http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=8138.0;topicseen
& it should be lovely to see you if you can make it!

--edit--
ps. all of the updated info is on the third page :D
Them/they

HildeKitten

Thank you kindly for the link *goes to look*

Miss Alexandria Web

Gateshead (next to Newcastle upon tyne), although in September I'm off to University in Galashiels and I plan on spending a few weekends in Edinburgh :D

Orlando

Quote from: Miss Alexandria Web on May 23, 2008, 12:03:12 AM
Gateshead (next to Newcastle upon tyne), although in September I'm off to University in Galashiels and I plan on spending a few weekends in Edinburgh :D

Greetings from the other side of the country - Carlisle.

Orlando.

Miss Alexandria Web

My old Youth leader used to randomly drive my group to the Tesco in Carlise every now and then :)
Greetings to you too *sweeps hat*

Mavromichali

Vimto? Doesn't that contain vitamin C and sodium benzoate? Not a happy mix.

Orlando

Quote from: Mavromichali on May 23, 2008, 08:49:41 AM
Vimto? Doesn't that contain vitamin C and sodium benzoate? Not a happy mix.

I believe you are referring to this: Wikipedia: sodium benzoate.
Also see Wikipedia: formation of benzene in soft drinks.

Orlando.

PKM

To return to the original topic briefly (although don't let me curtail this discussion, I had no idea Vimto contains benzene and I did A-level chemistry while drinking Vimto), there was a steam-up a few miles away from me last weekend, when I was sitting at home bored, and I had no idea until I saw it written up in the local paper.  People of the UK, check your local papers now to see if you are about to miss a steam vehicle meeting!
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Ex nihilo nihil fit, except maybe quarks