News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The "How Was Your Day" Thread II

Started by The Kernel, May 26, 2010, 09:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phang

Quote from: mr_Apricot on June 02, 2010, 10:50:13 PM
not at all, may i take this opportunity to ask the forum what long term effects a citation can have?

Depends on the citation.
In theory it may adversely affect your job applications (although all applications I filled out claimed it wouldn't be used for consideration)

Anything that requires or generates a background check will pull it up as a flag. Depending on the offense and your age it may eventually be expunged.

In my case. no effects what so ever.

N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

mr_Apricot

I was attending a party at which drinks were served, someone called the police, they rounded everyone up breathalyzed them (I failed) and then had them call their parents to be taken home. However, my parents are not the kind that pick me up when i have screwed up and in in fact throw me out of the house upon occasion, so i ended up spending the night in a holding cell. I talked with the police and because i behaved myself and was polite then my 2 citations for underage drinking and public drunkenness will be reduced to one citation for disorderly conduct. I am 18.   

helios

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

Wilhelmina Frame

Quote from: mr_Apricot on June 03, 2010, 02:12:36 AM
I was attending a party at which drinks were served, someone called the police, they rounded everyone up breathalyzed them (I failed) and then had them call their parents to be taken home. However, my parents are not the kind that pick me up when i have screwed up and in in fact throw me out of the house upon occasion, so i ended up spending the night in a holding cell. I talked with the police and because i behaved myself and was polite then my 2 citations for underage drinking and public drunkenness will be reduced to one citation for disorderly conduct. I am 18.   

how bad it will be will probably be based on how much of a jerk your judge is, how much your town/municipality needs money, whether or not an officer is in court when you go. It will probably end up being an expensive pain in the ass.
Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society

mr_Apricot

well the 2 citations are $25 each, and i talked to the officer last night on the phone, he said he would be there and to plead not guilty, that i would then just a disorderly conduct summary charge. My worry is about future employment and colleges. I mean, its not a criminal charge, but still . . .

RoseOak

Last Friday: "I won't need you on thursday Naomi I only have 8 children for the day."
Wednesday: "I have more children  booked, can you come and help out"

Today: 33 children, 3 adults, lots of paint, tissue paper, cardboard, glue, plastic, fabric paint,packing tape  and other assorted childrens craft materials. It took us nearly 2 hours to clean up afterwards and guess who had to grout 30 mosaic tiles. Do I look like a woman who does grouting.
I did 7 hours of it without a single break or cup of tea/coffee/cocoa/arsenic so I'm exhausted and never, ever want to see an under 10 again, especially if its a boy.

Dorian Ambrose

Pretty quiet day at work. And almost no new papercuts  :)
Since I work 4 day weeks (9 hour days), my weekend has now started, which is good.
Came home and checked my email. That brings us up to this moment and I am still at the first email. Not that it is long. It is just a very good email  :D

The Nordic One

My day consisted of once again fooling myself into thinking I can speak a Nordic language and realizing I can't and I should just stop because I am making a complete idiocy of the American people.. listen to the chorus of laughter from Scandinavia at America, because of me...

*sigh* I am beginning to hate all Germanic languages :(

Dorian Ambrose

Quote from: The Nordic One on June 03, 2010, 10:45:15 PM
My day consisted of once again fooling myself into thinking I can speak a Nordic language and realizing I can't and I should just stop because I am making a complete idiocy of the American people.. listen to the chorus of laughter from Scandinavia at America, because of me...

*sigh* I am beginning to hate all Germanic languages :(

I would happily help in any way I can. I do after all have the advantage being nordic and as such understand all nordic languages except Finnish.

The Nordic One

I mangle Swedish.. you want me to learn Danish?? *sigh* I gave up on Danish a long time ago, I can't even pronounce a single word of it :(

Dorian Ambrose

Quote from: The Nordic One on June 03, 2010, 11:15:25 PM
I mangle Swedish.. you want me to learn Danish?? *sigh* I gave up on Danish a long time ago, I can't even pronounce a single word of it :(

Swedish Is not that hard. I understand it almost perfectly, and speak it fairly well.
But yes.. Danish is generally considered among the most difficult languages in the world.

The Nordic One

Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on June 03, 2010, 11:24:10 PM
Quote from: The Nordic One on June 03, 2010, 11:15:25 PM

Swedish Is not that hard. I understand it almost perfectly, and speak it fairly well.
But yes.. Danish is generally considered among the most difficult languages in the world.

Det är alltför svårt för mig

Dorian Ambrose

Quote from: The Nordic One on June 03, 2010, 11:28:15 PM

I looks like you are on the right path. There are a few mistakes in that sentence, but I still understood it.

The Nordic One

Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on June 03, 2010, 11:33:43 PM

I looks like you are on the right path. There are a few mistakes in that sentence, but I still understood it.

This is why I will never speak this language.. I keep making mistakes after 6 years of learning it! :(  And that's just WRITING it!  I couldn't understand it spoken if you stood in front of me and spoke slowly!

Dorian Ambrose

Don't worry about it. HRH The Prince Consort of Denmark, has lived here for 43 years and no one understands a word he says  :D

You should find someone in your area, for whom it is their first language. That is most likely the best way to learn.

The Nordic One

Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on June 03, 2010, 11:45:49 PM
Don't worry about it. HRH The Prince Consort of Denmark, has lived here for 43 years and no one understands a word he says  :D

You should find someone in your area, for whom it is their first language. That is most likely the best way to learn.

Tak så meget.. (watch I got that wrong too)  but DC doesn't have a bounty of Scandinavians, in fact, almost none (you would think we would with an embassy)

Dorian Ambrose

It was actually pretty good. Although it looks like you mixed up Danish and Swedish a bit.
The spelling is correct Danish, but the sentence structure is Swedish.

In Danish it would be: Mange tak.
And in Swedish it would be: Tack så mycket.

"Meget" can be translated as "much", and is as such correct in English sentence structure. But in Danish the correct word in that sentence would be "mange" (=many).
Swedish is generally easier for English speaking people to learn, because the sentence structures are often the same, which is rarely the case with Danish.

We also have an embassy in Yemen and I am pretty sure not one single Dane lives there  :)
But there must be some in the DC area. I would be very surprised if the Danish embassy can't be of assistance.

The Nordic One

*sigh* I'll just keep stubbornly trying.. at least you're making my day a bit better :) Mange tak!

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Lady Lavinea Dreadful on May 31, 2010, 05:44:21 PM
my day is turning out well. im in the midst of packing for my new apartment. i plan to move in this friday or next. it will be my first home of my very own. no husbands boyfriends or family, just me. im also going to be starting my second part time job as the sales manager for my local spencers gifts in the next few days. life will be hectic for a while working two jobs and going to night school, but i cant wait! and this friday i have a real life,pick-you-up-at-your-home-and-take-you-to-dinner-and-a-movie, date! its a first for me in my life. ;) very excited about that. so all in all its a good day!

oh and PS said Gentleman caller knew what steampunk was before he met me! i just about swooned!

Whee! That's terrific, Lavinea! I'm glad things are going well. ^__^

Let us know how the date goes. From the little you've said there, he sounds pretty good! ;p

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: The Nordic One on June 03, 2010, 11:35:51 PM
Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on June 03, 2010, 11:33:43 PM

This is why I will never speak this language.. I keep making mistakes after 6 years of learning it! :(  And that's just WRITING it!  I couldn't understand it spoken if you stood in front of me and spoke slowly!

Mate, considering the number of native speakers I know who viciously mangle English, through genuine ignorance, not just laziness, even though it's their first language and the only language they speak, I don't think you have much to worry about. If you can make yourself understood, I reckon you're doing fine.

Incidentally, the above statement is constructed almost entirely of poor grammar.

helios

I'm trying to learn Norwegian from the internet. It's not going well...
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

Indefinitive

My day wasn't bad. Got to work a bit early, so I started early on my filing. Once that was done, I was one step ahead of almost everything anyone put in front of me.

Lea is still driving me crazy... I feel like an awful person for it, but I found a small moment of joy when she got snapped at by the girl in charge tonight.

I think it's because I'm working in a region that is made up of ONLY women, but I feel like I'm getting more competitive, and not in the healthy way... I really shouldn't find pleasure in watching someone I'm going to be working with get knocked down, but... ARGH. I want to get ahead of her so badly. I'm already ahead, in a sense, because I'm catching on to things A LOT faster than she is, but I really want it to be by a long shot... anyone know how I get further ahead while not becoming the office bitch?
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

The Governess

If its any help, I understood both of the sentences, although I don't speak any scandinavian at all.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad...

Incidently, if anyone has ever read Stephen King's / Richard Bachman's Thinner, the language passed off as Romany in that looks very Scandinavian to me!

In terms of day.  Working at home as have been ill the last few days, but too much to do to take another day off sick!  I too work 5 days over 4 (9hrs 15 for me), but MOnday is my non-working day, so at least I haven't got to go in now until Tuesday.  And I can access BG while I work, which I can't when I'm in the office.

It's warm and sunny, the cats are sleeping, tomorrow I plan to go and see some Burlesque Morris Dancing.  Oh yes.

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

The Nordic One

Bättre.  Oops I mean better.  In the mood to cook something fancy.  My cravats, spectacles and gloves arrived in the post yesterday which pleased me greatly.

Reverend Panic

Shows 1 & 2 are done and dusted! Shows 3 & 4 are entering production week tomorrow, and shows 5, 6 & 7 are moving along smoothly.

Things are kinda on schedule. Feeling burnt out, having a beer and a relaxed night, <3 <3 <3
Come and chat in the IRC, #Brassgoggles on Freenode, or click this link for the Browser based IRC Application:

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=brassgoggles

(We have cookies.)