News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The "How Was Your Day" Thread II

Started by The Kernel, May 26, 2010, 09:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maduncle

Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on June 04, 2010, 12:42:50 AM
Quote from: The Nordic One on June 03, 2010, 11:35:51 PM
Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on June 03, 2010, 11:33:43 PM
Quote from: The Nordic One on June 03, 2010, 11:28:15 PM
Det är alltför svårt för mig

I looks like you are on the right path. There are a few mistakes in that sentence, but I still understood it.

This is why I will never speak this language.. I keep making mistakes after 6 years of learning it! :(  And that's just WRITING it!  I couldn't understand it spoken if you stood in front of me and spoke slowly!

Mate, considering the number of native speakers I know who viciously mangle English, through genuine ignorance, not just laziness, even though it's their first language and the only language they speak, I don't think you have much to worry about. If you can make yourself understood, I reckon you're doing fine.

Incidentally, the above statement is constructed almost entirely of poor grammar.

Fellow Australian - we are trained from birth to mangle the Queens English, mind you I had some catching up to do when I arrived here from London in 1967.

My day began with the gym, followed by breakfast, then a drive out in the suburbs to collect an old typewriter I purchased from eBay. This typewriter turns out to be rather different, it is burgandy in colour, has Italian names on some of the function keys, and has the W and Z swapped over.

It is probably for typing in Danish.
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

Dorian Ambrose

Quote from: maduncle on June 05, 2010, 07:11:03 AM
Fellow Australian - we are trained from birth to mangle the Queens English, mind you I had some catching up to do when I arrived here from London in 1967.

My day began with the gym, followed by breakfast, then a drive out in the suburbs to collect an old typewriter I purchased from eBay. This typewriter turns out to be rather different, it is burgandy in colour, has Italian names on some of the function keys, and has the W and Z swapped over.

Doesn't sound very Danish.. We don't really use "W" or "Z". I can't even think of any words in Danish that use those letters  :)
But if it has "Æ", "Ø" and "Å" on it, it most likely is.

I can assure you that we Danes mangle the Queens English, in ways that would alarm even you Aussies. As hard as Danish is to learn, it is even harder to get rid of. And a Danish accent does not do wonders for comprehensibility. My control of the English language is above average but still far from where I would like it to be, as anyone who has heard it, can tell you.
Thankfully I do slightly better on the written part  :)

My day? Well... Today is still young, but yesterday was brilliant.

There was a "it-is-finally-summer" celebration in my town, which means concerts and beer in large quantities.
Did a bit of shopping, which resulted in a pair of trousers and the new Sherlock Homes film. After that I met up with a couple of friends and had a few pints of Newcastle brown.

All in all, a good day  :)   

Honeythorn

Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on June 05, 2010, 11:44:25 AM
My control of the English language is above average but still far from where I would like it to be, as anyone who has heard it, can tell you.

You sound just fine to me O.o  :-* :-* :-*
<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·

The Nordic One

Quote from: Honeythorn on June 05, 2010, 05:39:43 PM
Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on June 05, 2010, 11:44:25 AM
My control of the English language is above average but still far from where I would like it to be, as anyone who has heard it, can tell you.

Indeed.. he commands our tongue better than we do.. this coming from a people who swallow potatoes to talk [evil grin]

Rockula

Just got back from a great day out at the Colchester Medieaval 'Oyster Fayre'.

Picked up a leather quiver for just £15.

There was a real ale tent and hog roast.

It was 28 degrees in the Sunshine, I'm cooked and radiating heat.

An excellent day. ;D
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

steamtastic

Called a "freak" by my Dad for trying to buy a black pork pie hat. He then got me to get my hair cut because he doesn't like my "long hippy hair".
Each Man is in his Spectre's power
Until the arrival of that hour
When his Humanity awake -William Blake

phang

[Delete] [Delete] [Expletive] [Censor]

We have a nice new A/C unit for the living room.

We install it. We plug it in. It runs!. Yea. We turn it off. We clean up, replace the drapes and turn it back on. Doesn't work.

We return it and get another one. (Last one on the shelf)

We bring it home. I install it. It has same problem. I find new customer service number (the other one was busy) and am informed that my brand new 12000 BTU Window A/C that is rated at 10.5 Amps and is currently plugged into a dedicated 40 amp line requires 60 AMPS to function!!

WTF?!?!?!

N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

RoseOak

Quote from: steamtastic on June 05, 2010, 07:07:37 PM
Called a "freak" by my Dad for trying to buy a black pork pie hat. He then got me to get my hair cut because he doesn't like my "long hippy hair".

Noooooo! Thats a heinous crime.

Wilhelmina Frame

my day was meh. took the man to the airport. last minute business trip to asia. had to leave at 6:30am. slept all day due to sadness and no sleep previous. really really bizarre and lucid dreams. going to dinner now with pals. maybe playing games later. should improve my mood.
Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society

The Nordic One

Quote from: steamtastic on June 05, 2010, 07:07:37 PM

Wow.  Consider moving out ASAP.

MWBailey

Quote from: maduncle on June 05, 2010, 07:11:03 AM

Might be an old Olivetti, or one of the old Remington label-switchers. The older prewar (pre WWII) Rems and Underwoods did that sometimes, or so I read on Mr. Richard Poult's site years (well, pre-Y2K, anyway) ago. I'm Not sure if his site is still around, and I've forgotten the name of it in any case, but a search on his name might bring up some useful info.

I used to be on a typewriter collector's listserv, until finances, the death of the listserv, and other factors (such as being forced to sell all but my portable Royal) forced me to find less expensive obsessions. Such as banjos and flutes, which doesn't really equate, but you get the picture.

But GAWD I still love the oily-inky smell of the thing. I learned to type on a manual...

---
Went to a recording session for music for a historical documentary, they loved my fifing and my banjo-ing (odd, most folks tend to like one or the other...). Not sure if it will be used or will end up 'on the cutting-room floor' as the saying goes, but it was fun nonetheless
Spoiler: ShowHide
--Well, the session was fun, but the getting there was hellish. There should be a law against using postage-stamp-sized street signs in the country. No, I'm not exaggerating by much.  :D

Time to shut up now, MW... ;)
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

The Nordic One

It was nice, in spite of the blistering heat of the day which made wearing a waistcoat and layers to be problematic to the point whereby I nearly fainted from heat exhaustion in a goth club :(

maduncle

All this 'blistering heat' stuff - and we have rain for once (insert Australian rain dance).

This means my newly installed water tank will start to fill and I will be able to water the garden next summer (and folks - we have REAL summers here).

Today was spent building a ramp for the back of my 4WD wagon so I can unload the 340lb anvil when I get it home from Adelaide next week. Now the day is closing with the bolognaise sauce simmering on the stove (a special three meat recipe) some forum posting and soon - a glass of red with Dr.Who.

Nice.

(And our little old burgandy typewriter is an 'Oliver' brand and has the word 'Ritorno' for return if that means anything).
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

Acheron

Sort of fell out with this girl I like. Had to take a few steps back, since things were getting quite frustrating. Such a shame...

Another uncomfortable lesson learned, and a tip to all you men out there; if you start accommodating too much or conversely she tells you that she just wants to talk, get up and busy yourselves elsewhere. Don't stop the conversation, and don't show any sign of aggravation, but simply get up and channel the irritation into something productive, like paying the bills or doing the dishes. Take your mind off things and try and relax and keep your temper.

And to you girls; 'just talking' is never a good idea, unless you make your intentions very clear first. Most guys hear those words as 'you fail to excite me, so I'm going to use you to gush at and to reassure my ego instead'. And there is no reason you can't talk during or after some snuggling or sex. When was the last time you had a conversation turn bad right after you'd both gotten your satisfaction and were on the afterglow? It simply doesn't happen. However, 'just talking' without doing something meanwhile, like eating or watching a movie or playing games or something else is just something that most guys don't do, and thus horribly tedious. So they are going to get irritated and frustrated with you, and then you girls will pick up on that and feel like you're being humored and objectified.
'The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously.'

- Henry Kissinger

Indefinitive

Sorry to hear about that girl, Acheron. I can see how that might be frustrating.

I've also had a pretty miserable morning. Didn't fall asleep until 8. Someone said something that really hit home with me, in that way where when everything is said and done, you're feeling like someone just held up a mirror and all you can see is the ugliest piece of your personality.

The conversation didn't end until about two hours before, but I spent the rest of that time feeling miserable and making the most of that feeling so I might not do or say what I did again.

And now I get to go see a grandmother who hasn't known my face for the last four years for what will probably be the last time.

Today is such a happy day.

I need a cigarette.
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

Capt. Morion

Just let blew the surprise (on purpose) about the fact that I come home on Tuesday after nearly six months on the road. Originally the one friend who knew I was coming home was going to get everyone together and I was going to surprise them by just showing up but sadly the timing wasn't going to work (it was going to be almost a week before she could get everyone together) so I finally just let the cat out of the bag. Sad to ruin the chance for a good lark but things were starting to have the potential to turn ugly rather than fun.

Also helped drive the point home that well, I go home on Tuesday. I can't really get my head around it, I've been on the road for so long and seen\done so many crazy, awesome things that the idea of going home and having to go back to work and live in the 'real world' again is very depressing. I know all good things must come to an end and all that jazz but still, it's gonna be sad.
The bad guys always have the best tailors

Sir A Poiselamppe

Warm... spent the day at the Beaulieu Steam fair mant stem engines moving and rides galore... a good time indeed, all I need now is a Thunderstorm to end the day well....

Dorian Ambrose

Quote from: Honeythorn on June 05, 2010, 05:39:43 PM

I'm glad you think so dear  :)  :-*
It would be a bit annoying if you didn't understand a word I'm saying. There is only so much one can do with body language  :P

Dr Fidelius

A very good weekend.  The boat is at the marina, waiting to be launched for the year.  Bottom painted, all rigging squared away, should be at her mooring before Tuesday.

The Wife and I puttered around the harbour in the dinghy.  This was the first successful test run for my new British Seagull outboard (a 1977 model, purchased for $20 at a yard sale).  It had not been run for at least two decades.  I got it running last year, but was not able to get water flowing through the cooling system, so it would not run for more than ten minutes before overheating.

This year, the water is flowing, that leak around the carburetor is resolved, and the thing runs like a top.  I am very happy; it is a marvelous gadget, and much more elegant than the litle Evinrude I had been using.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.

Acheron

Quote from: Indefinitive on June 06, 2010, 06:47:26 PMSorry to hear about that girl, Acheron. I can see how that might be frustrating.

I've also had a pretty miserable morning. Didn't fall asleep until 8. Someone said something that really hit home with me, in that way where when everything is said and done, you're feeling like someone just held up a mirror and all you can see is the ugliest piece of your personality.

Not so much frustrating as saddening. But it's not like my heart is breaking. I've got plenty of those better things to do than bashing my head against the problem. And I wasn't particularly sharp with her or anything, so I'm fairly confident I'll hear from her again, hopefully with a bit more sense in her head...

Sorry about whatever happened though, but... two hours? I have a hard time imagining anything that could warrant that. And while I don't want to belittle anything, still, all things considered I really don't think that whoever made you feel that bad could really mean much to you. Or rather, should mean much.

Quote from: Indefinitive on June 06, 2010, 06:47:26 PMI need a cigarette.

Don't smoke if you have asthma. Or, if you're going to, at least don't smoke cigarettes.

Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on June 06, 2010, 11:02:08 PMIt would be a bit annoying if you didn't understand a word I'm saying. There is only so much one can do with body language  :P

/Insert off-color joke and suggestive play on the implications of "body language" here.
'The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously.'

- Henry Kissinger

Indefinitive

Quote from: Acheron on June 07, 2010, 12:32:11 AM
Sorry about whatever happened though, but... two hours? I have a hard time imagining anything that could warrant that. And while I don't want to belittle anything, still, all things considered I really don't think that whoever made you feel that bad could really mean much to you. Or rather, should mean much.

Sometimes I wish it were possible to just turn off how I feel about someone or how much they matter to me, but things just don't work out that way, unfortunately... this person had to pretty much drag me out of my shell by force to show me how stupid it was to just close myself off, so at this point, (pardon the lyrics to an extremely overplayed song... I can't get them out of my head) I guess I'd rather hurt than feel nothing at all.

My grandmother didn't know me when I went to visit her today. She kept asking me how my dad and I had met... it was just heartbreaking to watch her get so embarrassed when she realized that I wasn't my dad's wife, but his daughter, over and over... at the end of the visit, she told me it was very nice to meet me. No hug, no recognition... just, "Oh, it was nice to meet you. Bye!"

Sigh. I feel like just crawling into bed and not moving until Friday.
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Indefinitive on June 07, 2010, 04:29:10 AM
My grandmother didn't know me when I went to visit her today. She kept asking me how my dad and I had met... it was just heartbreaking to watch her get so embarrassed when she realized that I wasn't my dad's wife, but his daughter, over and over... at the end of the visit, she told me it was very nice to meet me. No hug, no recognition... just, "Oh, it was nice to meet you. Bye!"

Sigh. I feel like just crawling into bed and not moving until Friday.

*Hugs* It's really hard, but bear in mind that even if she doesn't remember who you are, you are making her very happy by keeping her company. It doesn't matter so much who exactly you are, you are someone who cares enough to come and visit.

helios

Pretty good. Found myself reading some of my old LotR fanfiction. Gosh, it's been a while...
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

Miss Romwell

Quote from: Inflatable Friend on June 02, 2010, 07:46:01 AM
After a fantastic week of stunning villages, brain numbing gallery opening parties, Rome's Critical Mass weekender, inspirational Edward Hopper exhibitions, lovely gardens, a pilgrimage to see three of the most beautiful sea-planes ever created and possible proof of the Vaticans secret mechanical army...

Being back in the office dealing with grey skies and dull paperwork is something of a let down.

You went to the Bosco Sacro in Bomarzo!?!!

I think I hate you a bit now...  ;)

Inflatable Friend

Quote from: Miss Romwell on June 07, 2010, 03:00:10 PM
You went to the Bosco Sacro in Bomarzo!?!!
I did! Cracking place, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Sheer fluke (and poor timekeeping) meant that we managed to turn up about an hour before they closed - Meant things where a little rushed, but the late evening light was simply amazing. It added an extra ethereal element to the wonder that was already there!

Planning a return trip - Staying in Calcata for the weekend and heading out to all the ruins and castle-towns in the area, should be inspirational!

Havn't had the chance to do any proper touching up or anything yet, but:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Quote from: Miss Romwell on June 07, 2010, 03:00:10 PM
I think I hate you a bit now...  ;)
Don't worry, I get that a lot.  :P

As for today!

Bit of a nothing day really - Grey sky, grey work day.. Meh.