Things that make you go... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!! Mk. II

Started by Flynn MacCallister, May 27, 2010, 12:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoseOak

Quote from: jesuisbienseule on June 01, 2010, 10:06:55 PM
I love listening to the rain once I'm home; I'm just of the unfortunate height that seems to put the spikes of everyone else's umbrellas pretty much at my eye level; making perambulation of any kind a little risky in the centre of town.

I'm 5ft and I'm lethal with an umberella.

Nikola Tesla

I love listening to the rain once I'm home; I'm just of the unfortunate height that seems to put the spikes of everyone else's umbrellas pretty much at my eye level; making perambulation of any kind a little risky in the centre of town.

Ma'am, that's what the goggles are for.  ;)
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.

phang

Quote from: Nikola Tesla on June 01, 2010, 11:04:01 PM

and a shock stick.  wonder if you could fit a Tesla coil into an umbrella? hmmm
N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

rovingjack

Quote from: jesuisbienseule on June 01, 2010, 08:22:10 PM
Quote from: helios on June 01, 2010, 01:20:43 PM
No idea. We're friends, and I'm astonishingly bad at gauging female interetedness. So any interestedness she may or may not have shown would probably have just been interpreted as friendliness. Also, having never been in a relationship previous, I have nothing to guage it against.

Yay. Social ineptitude. Joy of joys.

Trust me, I don't know what age you are now but understanding women will never get any easier... I *am* one and I still don't understand them.

If you're already friends, maybe suggest doing something that you both like to do like going to a movie; so that you can spend some more time together?

My gah for today is that June 1st is doing a remarkably good impression of October 1st. I quite like the rain, but being battered by other people's umbrellas is less than scintillating.

Listen close, for I am about to offer you a peice of info that was once innocently brainstormed byas a suggestion for me to try by way of getting over social ineptitudes of this sort. It occured to me that this is perhaps one of the most perfact ways to get things going and it was just an acidental suggestion.

Go to your feind and ask for her help, admit your not the best at those types of interactions and ask for her help. See if she'd be willing to help you with a practice date.

It's like a real date but without the pressure and you go as freinds.

Then see what you do from then on.

What it basically breaks down to is going on a date that is less emotionally loaded.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Nikola Tesla

Quote from: rovingjack on June 01, 2010, 11:59:05 PM
Go to your feind and ask for her help,

(bold mine of course ;) )

Wha-a?  Are you quite sure?

:D
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

rovingjack

I stand by my statement, mostly because it amuses me when I do leave out a letter by accident and it changes the meaning of the statment.

But while I stand by the staement let me add that when seeking help from a feind it is important to use the proper binding circle and have a handy banishing charm. Can't tell you how many people have lost a limb or a soul by not obeying that simple peice of advice.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Nikola Tesla

Though with the i and the e also reversed, there really is no telling what you'll get, so you'll need all the charm you can muster, binding, banishing, and otherwise.

There...I think the dead horse is officially whipped... ;)  :D

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Nikola Tesla on June 01, 2010, 05:22:33 PM
This is less gross and probably doesn't need the spoiler.  Apologies if I'm wrong.

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on June 01, 2010, 11:14:28 AM
You aren't really concidering have the tooth fixed back in your mouth after it's been through your digestive system, are you?

Heh ew no...obviously, I'm going to need some sort of implant or falsie.  Hence the likely long term cost.

Not too worried about infection spreading, as nothing looks inflamed at this point, nothing's swollen or tender, the tooth's long dead (it was an old crown), and that bad taste is gone...I suspect the last was because I really had some rotting meat stuck in there.  Gross, but not too alarming.  (At first I feared I was rotting and didn't know due to nerve damage, but other sensations are normal and the taste is gone so I don't think so).  It's actually a bit better this way because now I can clean the area normally, floss the neighboring teeth again and use mouthwash, of which I have three good kinds.  But I do rather obviously need to talk to a dentist as quickly as I can.  I have heard the same stories others have, about unattended dental infections leading to brain infection and even death.  But I'm pretty sure I will be all right.

Is "pretty sure" enough?  It's enough when I get on the highway or fly in a plane, after all...just call the dentist and make an appointment for ASAP.

Today's GAH...you know you've been traveling too much for work when you enter a bookstore and head straight for "local interest", because you're not sure you remember which state you're in this week...yeah, I also need to sleep more.

O-o-oh, if it was a crown, that changes everything. They can just drop out for no apparent reason. It's happened to dad three times in the past twelve months; he has one tha, after thirty years, just doesn't want to stay.

I'd still do the saline after eating, and the antibacterial once a day to be sure, (dad does, for the day or half-day until he can get to the dentist...) but a crown can probably wait a few days. A normal, previously-healthy tooth would be a big concern, but this I wouldn't panic about.

jesuisbienseule

Quote from: phang on June 01, 2010, 11:23:10 PM
Quote from: Nikola Tesla on June 01, 2010, 11:04:01 PM

and a shock stick.  wonder if you could fit a Tesla coil into an umbrella? hmmm

Ah, now if only I owned a pair! My own fault of course...

Perhaps a miniature Tesla coil could be fashioned for such purposes...

Nikola Tesla

QuoteA normal, previously-healthy tooth would be a big concern

You're definitely right there, and for an additional reason:  a previously-healthy tooth would have me wondering what else was going on in there that I didn't know about.  I'd want a thorough investigation right away.

Dental problems have been dogging me a long time, since a few years ago when I had scurvy (long but true story; suffice to say I do not recommend the once-popular Atkins Diet, especially on a grad school budget).  This crown was kind of touch and go from the very beginning, which was like 8 years ago, and the crack in the tooth that was almost to the bottom then probably just made it all the way.  My gums are normal now, though.

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Nikola Tesla on June 02, 2010, 06:03:20 PM
QuoteA normal, previously-healthy tooth would be a big concern

You're definitely right there, and for an additional reason:  a previously-healthy tooth would have me wondering what else was going on in there that I didn't know about.  I'd want a thorough investigation right away.

Dental problems have been dogging me a long time, since a few years ago when I had scurvy (long but true story; suffice to say I do not recommend the once-popular Atkins Diet, especially on a grad school budget).  This crown was kind of touch and go from the very beginning, which was like 8 years ago, and the crack in the tooth that was almost to the bottom then probably just made it all the way.  My gums are normal now, though.

Regarding scurvy and Atkins: I do know at least two people to whom exactly the same happened. Just another problem with ludicrous, unbalanced dieting. Ugh.

Nikola Tesla

Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on June 03, 2010, 02:03:05 AM
Regarding scurvy and Atkins: I do know at least two people to whom exactly the same happened. Just another problem with ludicrous, unbalanced dieting. Ugh.

Wow I am not the only one?  That's heartening (in a way, though it's also horrible).  Looking back on it I can easily see how it happened.

Man does not live on tuna fish alone.

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Nikola Tesla on June 03, 2010, 03:43:42 AM
Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on June 03, 2010, 02:03:05 AM

Wow I am not the only one?  That's heartening (in a way, though it's also horrible).  Looking back on it I can easily see how it happened.

Man does not live on tuna fish alone.

Two girls who, incidentally, don't know each other. One high school friend, when she was about 17 or 18 and had been on the diet for almost a year, and one girl who is best friends with my... let's say "sister-in-common-law" for want of an easier way to explain, who was, oh, 25 or 26, and had been on the diet for something like six months.

You are definitley not the only one. From what I gather, it's a very common risk in the Atkins' diet for people who do manage to stick with it for more than a few weeks.

phang

Really? I've had no issues with the Atkins system...

Doing quiet well thank you. I've gotten the most results out of this diet than any other I've tried.

N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

Thor

I didn't last a week.  It sounded great, all the meat I can eat.  But I missed toast, and rice, far too much.
So when times are hard and life is rough, you can stick the kettle on and find me a cup...
You can find me at facebook Here

rovingjack

south beach diet is safer, not as heavy on fats, includes a better range of nutrition whioe forcing the change from high levels of easily absorbed carbs to a few slower complex carbs and lean protiens; which forces your body to use stored fats and such. when that has done it's thing you switch back to a diet that includes a better balance of nutrition and fats and carbs, being a maintanace level that prevents gaining encourages continued loss at a gradual rate. finally it sets out how to maintain a modified diet to prevent what got in to this mess in the first place.

Lady Corsair

My mother (a doctor, with experience with scurvy) has been on the Atkin's diet for years, as had my dad, and they have never had problems.  So, lets not make blanket statements with only anecdotal evidence to back it up, hmm?

And be sure to consult with a doctor before starting any diet, and make sure that you are following all the guidelines (including any supplements, etc.). 
Do you smile to tempt a lover? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart?
Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep; they just lie there and they die there.

The Nordic One

Things that make me go...

Oh where did the time go? ;)

But for now I would have to say that as of late it has consisted of people making public statements tinged with racial slurs, historical inaccuracies (blaring ones, not necessarily obscure ones), or ad hominem immature attacks on their opponents.. and how these people are allowed public foray into our own aetherweb.. GAAAHHH!!!

RoseOak

Catalog shows woman with parasol - catalog should therefore sell parasols, yes?.......... No!  >:(

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Lady Corsair on June 04, 2010, 07:48:36 PM
My mother (a doctor, with experience with scurvy) has been on the Atkin's diet for years, as had my dad, and they have never had problems.  So, lets not make blanket statements with only anecdotal evidence to back it up, hmm?

And be sure to consult with a doctor before starting any diet, and make sure that you are following all the guidelines (including any supplements, etc.). 

Yes: that means they have the background knowledge to do it right, and to ensure that they actually do have a balance of nutrients. Done purely "by the book", or at least by the version of the book these people used, you are very likely to run into trouble.

Lady Corsair

Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on June 05, 2010, 12:38:50 AM
Quote from: Lady Corsair on June 04, 2010, 07:48:36 PM

Yes: that means they have the background knowledge to do it right, and to ensure that they actually do have a balance of nutrients. Done purely "by the book", or at least by the version of the book these people used, you are very likely to run into trouble.

No.  You are not "very likely" to run into trouble.  You may run into trouble; people have run into trouble.  It's not "very likely" that you'll run into trouble (or doctors wouldn't get behind it, as many have); it's just possible.
Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep; they just lie there and they die there.

Alptraum

Quote from: Lady Corsair on June 05, 2010, 07:58:51 PM
It's not "very likely" that you'll run into trouble (or doctors wouldn't get behind it, as many have); it's just possible.

I'll just leave this here...
Spoiler: ShowHide

Lady Corsair

Quote from: Alptraum on June 05, 2010, 08:13:33 PM
It's not "very likely" that you'll run into trouble (or doctors wouldn't get behind it, as many have); it's just possible.

Well, if you can show me the documentation of Atkin's diet causing something a bit more serious that scurvy (and I haven't seen anything to even back THAT up, in spite of looking), then please, link away.  Until that point, it's all anecdotes about a condition people get even when NOT on the Atkin's diet.

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Lady Corsair on June 05, 2010, 10:12:34 PM
Quote from: Alptraum on June 05, 2010, 08:13:33 PM

Well, if you can show me the documentation of Atkin's diet causing something a bit more serious that scurvy (and I haven't seen anything to even back THAT up, in spite of looking), then please, link away.  Until that point, it's all anecdotes about a condition people get even when NOT on the Atkin's diet.

see if you can get your hands on any of these.: ShowHide

Title: Safety of low-carbohydrate diets
Author(s): Crowe TC
Source: OBESITY REVIEWS   Volume: 6   Issue: 3   Pages: 235-245   Published: AUG 2005

Title: Low-carbohydrate diets: what are the potential short- and long-term health implications?
Author(s): Bilsborough SA, Crowe TC
Source: ASIA PACIFIC JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION   Volume: 12   Issue: 4   Pages: 396-404   Published: 2003

Title: Ketogenic diets for weight loss: A review of their principles, safety and efficacy
Author(s): Sumithran P, Proietto J
Source: OBESITY RESEARCH & CLINICAL PRACTICE   Volume: 2   Issue: 1   Pages: 1-13   Published: MAR 2008

I could certainly keep going. All warn of serious side effects -- not just vitamin deficiencies -- with Atkin's-type diets followed long term in the manner in which average people -- especially left to their own devices rather than guided by a health professional -- tend to follow them.

Cause, you know, three people who don't know each other all developing a vit. C deficiency which was directly linked by doctors to their dietary choices isn't enough to ring alarm bells.

Your parents, with their medical background, I am sure are doing it in a perfectly safe way, as would most people who are doing the diet in consultation with a doctor. A hell of a lot of people don't: they buy a book and leap straight in. That book is often produced with limited or no input from any health professional, and there are no regulations on what warnings, etc, must be published. I've laughed over vegan rawfood diet books that actively rubbish the mainstream medical opinion, and insist that vitamin B12 is not a neccessary nutrient for the body, and that it's all anti-vegan suppresive lies. Hmmmm....

Flynn MacCallister

My gaaah:

Still marking. HOW CAN I GIVE YOU A GOOD MARK IF YOU RANDOMLY OMIT QUESTIONS? Gaaaah!