News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Playing Dress Up (The Steam Gallery Volume 2)

Started by Gin-Soaked, June 20, 2010, 09:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Stella Gaslight on July 11, 2010, 07:10:38 PM
Quote from: Honeythorn on July 04, 2010, 09:50:59 AM
Not steampunk but seeing as someone decided to be a twat and remove the usual post your picture thread ( for what reason exactly? ) I'll have to post it here instead.

The twat was the off topic mod and he moved it to anatomical because a lot of the shots were steampunk in nature,  Now that thread is a part of the steam gallery volume one and being pared down in to a picture only thread because they were getting hard to navigate and were a strain on the servers.  The combined thread was over 970 pages so you can see why we would want to start a fresh one.  If you want another off topic picture thread I suggest you ask Sir Nick or just make one. 

Yeah, I'm glad of that. It was really irritating that everyone just kept posting the same pictures in BOTH THREADS. They needed combining. It had gotten ridiculous. And annoying.

Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on July 11, 2010, 08:59:03 PM
And furthermore.. All the "lets combine these mildly related threads" BS that seems to be the new trend here, is about the worst idea ever.

That wasn't what happened in this case, though... Instead, it was "let's combine these two threads that have both been misused and turned into duplicates of each other, because a large number of members post every single damn photo they have in BOTH, rather than using them for their intended purpose."

And I'm kind of glad they did. We need ONE for EVERYTHING, or TWO and people NOT posting duplicates...

jringling

Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on July 11, 2010, 09:57:56 PM
I for one, will not be posting pictures any more, unless I have absolutely no doubt that they are in the right thread and falls 100% within the parameters of that thread.

Shouldn't you and all of us have been doing this very same thing all along... Thank you for volunteering to do something the right way!

BaronPablo

The picture there is from San Japan, a local Japanophile convention here in the heart of San Antonio. The steampunkers there were a huge hit this year for sure!
Mr. Saturday of Mr. Saturday & Sixpence, Gentlemen-For-Hire!
AetherFest, Texas' Oldest Steampunk Convention, Chairman
San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, Chairman

H. MacHinery

Quote from: BaronPablo on July 12, 2010, 02:42:57 AM
The picture there is from San Japan, a local Japanophile convention here in the heart of San Antonio. The steampunkers there were a huge hit this year for sure!

What, did you get lost?

;D

garingling

Quote from: BaronPablo on July 12, 2010, 01:18:58 AM
Steampunks in San Antonio! I'm the chap with the beard.
That looks like a fine group of steampunks, so I can imagine why you guys where such a hit.
Quote from: The Abiliegh on July 09, 2009, 09:06:35 PM
G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
O is for odd (in the best possible way!)
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome

Dorian Ambrose

Quote from: jringling on July 12, 2010, 02:13:41 AM
I for one, will not be posting pictures any more, unless I have absolutely no doubt that they are in the right thread and falls 100% within the parameters of that thread.

Shouldn't you and all of us have been doing this very same thing all along... Thank you for volunteering to do something the right way!

Not exactly..
When I say 100% I mean 100%. Attire, backdrop, theme etc.

Even the last picture posted in this thread (great as it is), falls short. And so do 95% of all other pictures.
This is why the off topic picture thread was a good idea.

I could easily go on, but if my point is not clear by now, it never will be.

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on July 12, 2010, 05:53:32 AM
Quote from: jringling on July 12, 2010, 02:13:41 AM

Not exactly..

Even the last picture posted in this thread (great as it is), falls short. And so do 95% of all other pictures.

Yes, it was a good idea, but it was badly used. As I pointed out, it was largely duplication of the Playing Dress Up thread.

There's no reason why we can't throw another one up there; it was going to get locked for being too long anyway; now it's being locked and having the best bits picked out and archived. This seems like a preferable outcome to me.

It'd just be nice if people would understand that most people who look at either look at both, so you don't have to duplicate, and doing so is pretty obnoxious, really.

Oniichan

Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on July 12, 2010, 05:53:32 AM

Not exactly..

So... by your reckoning, the Playing Dress-up thread should consist of only pictures that are 100% steampunk attire in settings that are 100% steampunk, and absolutely nothing else allowed? 

I think if you stick to that standard you will find a very empty thread indeed. 

I find that trimming and combining the several picture threads was a brilliant idea - the nearly 1,000 pages were getting hard to navigate, and occasionally even a really awesome thread needs a re-start. 

Stella - thank you for taking the time to go through and trim these thread, I for one appreciate all your effort.  :)
Gradual change, we can believe in.

greyedout.etsy.com

Stella Gaslight

Thanks Oniichan.  I want that combined thread to be one of the best galleries I can make it. Hopefully after I get moved and stable I will be able to put more work in it.

Dorian Ambrose it is wonderful you put so much effort in to your pictures but this is more casual than that. I think this is more for outfit snaps of both elaborately decked out people and for daily simple steam ware.  Kind of like your daily dose of seamy clothes.
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

Chief Librarian

I think I can speak for the Lurker contingent on the board and say we're all a bit tired of the Take-My-Ball-And-Go-Home-ism.

Everyone please relax and get back to entertaining us.
Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to classify:

Aleister Crow

Quote from: Chief Librarian on July 12, 2010, 12:16:19 PM
I think I can speak for the Lurker contingent on the board and say we're all a bit tired of the Take-My-Ball-And-Go-Home-ism.

Everyone please relax and get back to entertaining us.

Hear, hear!

I might be more inclined to post something myself if there wasn't all this arguing over what people post. It's not exactly encouraging to the newer members.
'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'

Stella Gaslight

Well let me stop arguing and post some pictures then.
Found these on my hard drive and don't think I posted them before.
Spoiler: ShowHide

I need black sandals for this
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

Major Wolfram Quicksilver

Very nice, Ms Gaslight.  I for one am looking forward to the pared down images thread/s.  Should be a magnificent library of iconographs to go through.  Something to inspire future creations and outfits, give us all a sense of cameraderie, and put faces to names.
'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'

AlegrahEredschtadt

I went to a con this past weekend and got a few pictures. There was a Tenth Doctor cosplayer there and I got a picture with him, the Tardis and an adipose. <3 I was screaming on the inside. Also, a picture with another steampunk, and a few of myself with the Tardis. I look confused in all of them because I didn't expect the picture when it was taken. o.o

With the Doctor. <3

The Tardis!

With Professor Fate.

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

I dare mention my bloomers in public.

Join me in the Chatroom! http:/

garingling

Thank you for sharing your pictures with us AlegrahEredschtadt and you too Stella. I hope others will be encouraged to do the same and won't let those who feel the need to argue over the ridiculous scare them away. Just have fun!

Quote from: The Abiliegh on July 09, 2009, 09:06:35 PM
G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
O is for odd (in the best possible way!)
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome

Arlen

Well, just to put something new on the new thread, some pictures from today.

An original picture of me in my Inverness cape ad then two 'Aged' photos.

Lord Arlen Donald, Tenth Earl of Danesmead, Lord of Loch Marbleberry.
In Saxon attire for Visiting London.

And in Highland exploratory attire as Captain of Her Majesty's First Dragon Battalion. An infantry company protecting The Empire against those creatures once thought mythical and guarding against that which is yet unknown.

Herr Döktor

Managed a couple of outfits this past weekend:

:)

darkshines

Well that's made my evening! I'll be in my bunk.....
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

Herr Döktor

Quote from: darkshines on July 12, 2010, 09:42:33 PM
Well that's made my evening! I'll be in my bunk.....

BAD GIRL! DIRTY GIRL!! IN YOUR BED!!!

Oh, too late!

darkshines

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

Herr Döktor

It's the Police box, isn't it?

Ladies love the Police Box.

Oh yeah.

;)

Arlen

What a handsome outfit, Herr Doktor. And what an interesting key...

darkshines

There's a lot of good things going on in those images.....

H. MacHinery

Herr Döktor

I just wish I'd taken my fez.

Fezs are cool.

And, according to one of my Facebook chums, so are fedoras, so maybe all hats that begin with 'F' are cool-  must dig out my Native American Feathered Headdress.