News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Sweden Register of Interest

Started by IvanDrugostrov, August 21, 2007, 07:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

August_Cobb

Quote from: Warwolt the engineer on September 18, 2007, 05:21:12 PM

A steampunk meetup at a Con somewhere now that sounds really interesting!

That was a fine idea there, greensmith  ;D (yes i know that doesn't have anything to do with his acc name here, he just goes under that name by me ^^)
what cannot be done, i shall do! in the name of science

Arclight

Certainly a very interesting idea. I'd show up.

IvanDrugostrov

Support your local struggling author!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Warwolt the engineer

I honestly have no check on all the 'cons in sweden. The only real one I actually know about is Upp*Con with the cosplay part. But not much more, heads up? Any ones this auutumn/winter?

oskila

There's always BSK (formerly BorCon) 2-4 november
Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)

IvanDrugostrov

Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

oskila

Well, I'm interested, but currently without income. Also, I would need to get a moped :)
Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)

IvanDrugostrov

Quote from: oskila on September 19, 2007, 09:40:57 AM
Well, I'm interested, but currently without income. Also, I would need to get a moped :)

That's the neat thing! You don't have to! This item doesn't offer any real protection.
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

oskila

hmmz. I'm not sure when to use it then. $30 + shipping is a bit much for a cosmetic-only item :)

Also, not real leather which is silly, and hand made in Bali, which usually means made by children.

IvanDrugostrov

Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

August_Cobb

so, have anyone got an idea of a nice Con to meet at or something?
what cannot be done, i shall do! in the name of science

Atterton

I don´t see why it has to be a con, a nice pub would do okay.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

oskila

Quote from: IvanDrugostrov on September 19, 2007, 01:43:25 PM
I take that as a "no".

Well, had I had the money, the no hadn't been as strong I suspect. :)

Warwolt the engineer

Quote from: Atterton on September 19, 2007, 08:40:46 PM
I don´t see why it has to be a con, a nice pub would do okay.

Well, mostly because most members are spread all around the land of sweden. So going to a Con will give us something to do but taking a drink...  ;D

oskila

Quote from: August_Cobb on September 19, 2007, 08:30:06 PM

I can't afford to travel anywhere anyway :( Maybe if all of you came to BSK, since the trip there is only 60kr for me :)

Russandol

I think (atleast thats how I see it) sweden is very open to ... well everything. We aren't to much for "swedish" stuff and more of international things. Might be so in other countries but I get the feel most countries want their own stuff rather than others. Or its just that sweds love steampunk... I don't know.

I don't realise why Sweden would be so un-Steampunk though...? You know the 19th century happened here as well ;) And I think we had our share of that culture, and prominent personalities, just think of John Ericsson for example (or his brother Nils for that matter).

@ oskila - What is the BSK anyway? Or where is it even?

Warwolt the engineer

Not saying sweden isn't steampunky just that we might be more open to alternatve stuff. IIRC in denmark you usally get pretty much picked on for looking different, or am I a monkey  ::)

Warwolt the engineer

Quote from: oskila on September 19, 2007, 09:35:18 PM
Quote from: August_Cobb on September 19, 2007, 08:30:06 PM

I can't afford to travel anywhere anyway :( Maybe if all of you came to BSK, since the trip there is only 60kr for me :)

BSK?

oskila

Quote from: Russandol on September 20, 2007, 06:48:46 AM
I think (atleast thats how I see it) sweden is very open to ... well everything. We aren't to much for "swedish" stuff and more of international things. Might be so in other countries but I get the feel most countries want their own stuff rather than others. Or its just that sweds love steampunk... I don't know.

I don't realise why Sweden would be so un-Steampunk though...? You know the 19th century happened here as well ;) And I think we had our share of that culture, and prominent personalities, just think of John Ericsson for example (or his brother Nils for that matter).

The main reason for Sweden not being as steampunk as, say UK is that the industrial revolution happened there long before it did so in sweden and because of this and the wealth caused by the having of colonies, the culture of the 19th century was more grand in the UK and did make a longer lasting imprint in history.
Swedish 19th century industry was mostly mining, timber and the digging of Göta Kanal :)
Most countries had a 19th century but that's not the only criterium for sprouting steampunk :)

BSK = formerly BorCon = Borås spelkonvent.

Russandol

Quote from: oskila on September 20, 2007, 11:06:03 AM
Quote from: Russandol on September 20, 2007, 06:48:46 AM

The main reason for Sweden not being as steampunk as, say UK is that the industrial revolution happened there long before it did so in sweden and because of this and the wealth caused by the having of colonies, the culture of the 19th century was more grand in the UK and did make a longer lasting imprint in history.
Swedish 19th century industry was mostly mining, timber and the digging of Göta Kanal :)

Well... we had a hell of a lot of mining at least  :P

And as I said... John Ericsson! (In Swedish)

But of course it was always bigger in the UK, I never denied that...

oskila

Also, in larger cities, we've torn most of the 19th century stuff down and built ugly crap in it's place.

Another factor is probably population. UK has an estimated population of around 60 million people compared to Sweden's 9.

Warwolt the engineer

Bleh don't let st.sweden sink to the bottom. Up she goes,  ;D
True, tough Stockholm still got Gammla Stan. I quite like Gammla Stan tough it might be that rather victorian its still OLD  ;D

oskila

Quote from: Warwolt the engineer on September 22, 2007, 09:09:32 AM
Bleh don't let st.sweden sink to the bottom. Up she goes,  ;D
True, tough Stockholm still got Gammla Stan. I quite like Gammla Stan tough it might be that rather victorian its still OLD  ;D

I was in fact mainly referring to the Gothenburg 1960's project of tearing down a lot of 1880-ish houses in favour of ugly pebbled concrete blocks.

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear Ivan,

I mailed your pattern last Wednesday.  It is supposed to take 5-10 business days, but I never trust the Post Office.

Vienna

IvanDrugostrov

Good to know for future reference. Thanks again. A lot of Swedish boys are eagerly awaiting its arrival.
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com