News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Sweden Register of Interest

Started by IvanDrugostrov, August 21, 2007, 07:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvanDrugostrov

Why not? I thought I'd round up all the swedes or Swedish residents, so that we could talk about things more local. Where to be steampunk in Sweden, where to get parts and so on and so forth. Also for linguistic questions, translations and whatnot. Perhaps plan a little get-together.

Main language is still English. Anyone is welcome.

So, to get things started,

What's the Swedish name for a "swivel chair" and where can I procure one?
Support your local struggling author!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Emma Boodle

"Snurrfåtölj" or "kontorsstol" maybe? I'm not sure where you can find a nice one, but second hand shops might have something? I think I saw a nice one in Karlstad a while back  :)

IvanDrugostrov

"Kontorsstol" sounds familiar. However, asking for it will probably yield a whole range of other kinds of chair I am not interested in. It's gonna be a while before I am in Karlstad again, though. Where did you see it? Antiquarian shop?
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

IvanDrugostrov

Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Atterton

I would say Kontorstol with just one s. I´m not sure there is another swedish word for it.

I´m a dane but living in Sweden. And the title of the thread sounds scarily official, will I have säpo after me now?
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

IvanDrugostrov

Quote from: Atterton on August 21, 2007, 03:01:00 PM
I would say Kontorstol with just one s. I´m not sure there is another swedish word for it.

I´m a dane but living in Sweden. And the title of the thread sounds scarily official, will I have säpo after me now?

A crazy antique furniture salesman said to me that it was called "swivel" in Swedish as well. I have no proof of this.
Heh, the title is just a mimicry of the "Britain Register of Interest" thread.
I don't think Säpo would be very interested... migrationsverket, on the other hand ^_Q
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

skribb

Thanks for that link Ivan, some lovely furniture on that website!
But all the clocks in the city,
Began to whirr and chime.
O, let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time!

IvanDrugostrov

I visited a local retailer. They are a bit pricey for me. The store carried two models of Swivels... 6.500 :- - 8.500 :-
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Vienna Fahrmann

What is the current kroner to US dollar exchange rate?

Vienna

IvanDrugostrov

100 kr == $14.44.
The cheaper of the chairs would cost right about $1.000.
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Vienna Fahrmann

Ouch!  Thats a lot of money for a chair!

Vienna

IvanDrugostrov

Quote from: Vienna Fahrmann on August 22, 2007, 04:31:42 PM

Ouch!  Thats a lot of money for a chair!

Vienna

Yeah! Innit? A single chair! There's got to be a cheaper way. But I am adamant. I must be a swivel. It's the steampunkiest chair I can think of. In its basic configuration. I guess some artist could upgrade a chair with lots of gears and stuff...
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Atterton

I shouldn´t have to tell a swedish person this, but what about heading to Ikea? They sell "snurrstole" for reasonable prices. If you head to their website at ikea.se, click on Arbetsplats -> Arbetsstolar -> Snurrstolar. The one called Allak looks nice, and it´s only 700 kr.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

skribb

Quote from: Vienna Fahrmann on August 22, 2007, 04:35:25 AM

What is the current kroner to US dollar exchange rate?

Vienna

First, it's kronor. Denmark and Norway has kroner (as far as I know).

I know Ivan already stated the current exchange rate, but for future reference, you can always type in "4 dollar to pound" for example, in Google, which will display that exchange rate.
But all the clocks in the city,
Began to whirr and chime.
O, let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time!

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear Skribb,

Sorry about the spelling mistake...for some reason I always get those 2 spellings confused.  Thank you for the Google exchange rate info.  I just didn't think of googling it.  (I was also on pain medication when I typed...that may have contributed).

Vienna

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear Ivan,

Do you go to estate sales?  We got some wonderful antique furniture when the contents of an 1880's mansion was sold off.  It was been in the same family since it was built & the last member was very old & going into a nursing home.  The prices were much less than antique stores & we could haggle on the price a bit.

Vienna

IvanDrugostrov

Haggle over an heirloom? Isn't that a bit disrespectful? And what if it's haunted! I've been browsing IKEA several times this month. I know pretty much everything they have. The point isn't that it's a swivel, but that it's an antique looking one. My father owns one he uses as a piano chair. It's kinda scary to mount, because it can tilt backwards quite easily.

In closing, I'd like to say, as a mental note to myself and a warning to others; When playing with ink, make sure it doesn't end up on your person, or you will have to wear it for a considerable amount of time. :(
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

oskila

Says on wikipedia that Thomas Jefferson invented the swivel chair :)
Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)

IvanDrugostrov

Does anyone have any nice Swedish resources to share? Stores, etc?
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear Ivan,

No, in this case it wasn't disrespectful to do a bit of price bargaining.  The sale had been turned over to a commercial agent who was very much out for his cut of the money.  We paid the full asking price for anything we bought singly, but when we had a group of items, we asked about a group price discount for them.  The discount came out of the agents cut of the money (& he was pretty cutthroat & out for every penny he could get), not the money which went to the old gentleman.  I'm very respectful of family heirlooms, having very few of them myself, due to a relative deliberatly destroying most of them.

Vienna

IvanDrugostrov

Quote from: Vienna Fahrmann on August 22, 2007, 06:58:08 PM

I'm very respectful of family heirlooms, having very few of them myself, due to a relative deliberatly destroying most of them.

Why? Sounds intriguing. Why would someone do such a thing?
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

Vienna Fahrmann

Dear Ivan,

The person was was a nasty individual, who was probably mentally ill, who took pleasure in destroying everything they could lay hands on, or steal from family members houses, just so nobody could have anything from the family.

Vienna

oskila

Well, as always, tradera can be your friend. I just got this home for example. You have to be lucky to get an antique-looking swivel chair though... And I strongly suspect that if you find one, it'll be very expensive.
Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)

IvanDrugostrov

Quote from: oskila on August 22, 2007, 09:57:43 PM
Well, as always, tradera can be your friend. I just got this home for example. You have to be lucky to get an antique-looking swivel chair though... And I strongly suspect that if you find one, it'll be very expensive.

I think you are right. Heh, they say it's a monocle but the picture clearly shows it's a pair of glasses!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com

IvanDrugostrov

Quote from: Vienna Fahrmann on August 22, 2007, 07:04:34 PM

Dear Ivan,

The person was was a nasty individual, who was probably mentally ill, who took pleasure in destroying everything they could lay hands on, or steal from family members houses, just so nobody could have anything from the family.

Vienna

That is really unfortunate! Especially since You have an interest in antiquities (which I am assuming You do)!
Enjoy my retro web page.
www.necroterra.com