News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Cthulu/ Lovecraftian Roleplay: Allowed here?

Started by Andrew Styles, February 20, 2013, 07:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Styles

So, I have been really interested in running/ playing in a Lovecraftian, Cthulu Mythos, sanity shattering roleplay. Would that be allowed on the Steampunk Forums, or should I run it on another site? Most other sites are blocked where I am, so it would be preferable to run it here. I could still run it elsewere. Would anyone like to join me, and could I do that here?
"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips" - Birgitte Silverbow

Check out my blog! www.musingsoftheteenagemind.wordpress.com

H.Tuto

There doesn't seem any rules against it, what setting were you thinking? Standard Jazz era? Gaslamp era? Modern? Either way, count me in as tentatively interested.
The H. stands for Hieronymus. Why? Because it sounds positively nifty!

MWBailey

The Chthulhu Mythos tends to be extremely popular in Steampunk circles, So I'd say it'd fit regardless; I'd suggest a Gaslight-era scenario, but that sjust my opinion.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Andrew Styles

What i the gaslight era? I'm inte4rested, even though I was thinking classic jazz era. Please, do inform me! I might still do it on another website, just so we could get some other people involved. I wouldn't post as much, but i could still work.
"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips" - Birgitte Silverbow

MWBailey

Gaslight is pretty much the middle-to-late-Victorian period, specifically the era during which lighting, from streetlights to indoor lighting, was done with gaslamps, hence the name.Thus, Steam London, and HMAS Marigold, could be labeled as "Gaslight" RPs.

Jazz age would more likely be "Dieselpunk." That shouldn't stop you , though; Steel Birds of Paradise is decidedly, resoundingly Dieselpunk, though it's developing some elements of horror, noir, and steampunk as well..

Andrew Styles

Sorry for the double post! Anyway, I just signed up for an account here: http://www.yog-sothoth.com/forum.php Seems like a nice place where we could get some new blood. If anyone has any other site suggestions, they are welcome. i love our portrayal community here, but there is only a small number of people who play in our RPs, so it would be nice to have a mix of new and old in the new game, assuming we do it on another site.  I will be sure to look that up later. Anyway, who is up for playing? I will be doing some more site-scouring after I'm done with some work around here. PS, thanks bailey! I don't know what I will do as a setting/ story line. i want it to run along the lines of the Call of Cthulu RPG game, but without dice. i might not even be a PC, but purely a game master. Would you be open to the idea of two threads? One devoted to OOC chat as to what you want to do. i say yes or no, and then we go write about it. Like an actual tabletop RPG. Does that make any sense?

MWBailey

I'll take a look at it, but I can't make promises, much; I have a lot of irons in the fire already. But I'll take a look and maybe give it a try.

Andrew Styles

Quote from: MWBailey on February 20, 2013, 09:53:41 PM
I'll take a look at it, but I can't make promises, much; I have a lot of irons in the fire already. But I'll take a look and maybe give it a try.
What do you mean? The two threads, or the other website? Thanks for being open minded!

MWBailey

Oh, you meant two threads on here!  :-[ LOL, sorry about that. I can't guarantee long-term participation; things around my neck o' the woods tend to get hectic on short notice, and I'm already in two active RPs and a collaborative novel (my section of which I need to add to by the way). But I'll try it out if you want.

MWBailey

Pardon the double post.

I might ought to mention that I've never done a tabletop RPG; not sure what bearing that would have on the project in question, but better to be truthful on that score, I'd think.

Andrew Styles

Okay, I can explain tommorow. I'm a bit busy. Is it too late to join the collective novel? Are you referring to the enw age of steam? I'm interested ingetting back into the swing of writing, since I've been taking a break after finishing NaNoWriMo.

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!

steamcowboy92

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.

MWBailey

Quote from: Andrew Styles on February 20, 2013, 11:51:21 PM
Okay, I can explain tommorow. I'm a bit busy. Is it too late to join the collective novel? Are you referring to the enw age of steam? I'm interested ingetting back into the swing of writing, since I've been taking a break after finishing NaNoWriMo.

You'll need to ask member The Corsair about joining The New Age of Steam; it's his project. 

Andrew Styles

So, Yog-Sothoth.com is blocked, but we could use this. http://www.templeofdagon.com/forum/There seems to be a large user base, and we can run the game there. Anyway, here is my explanation as to how the game works.

Basically, once we get rolling, there will be two threads. One where all decisions take place, and the other where we write about what happens. Here's an example. Say you want to investigate the local library to find an ancient tome. I physically roll a 100 sided dice, and set a mark as to how hard it is to acheive your goal. If you meet it, I say that you suceed. You then move to the game thread, and write about what happens. If you fail, you still write, but about your faliure. Every decision will be made this way, so mostly the game will be made up of smaller posts. After you find the tome, I roll and see if you decypher anything. I will not be a PC, so I can be unbiased as to what happens. Would anyone be interested in running it this way? Also, Steamcowboy, migh I ask if you are not a villain? Anit-heroes are fine, and insanity later on can (and probably will) happen, but I will be playing all the NPC characters. That would be one of the few times I would post in the game thread: Stage setting, and NPCs. Anyone interested still?

steamcowboy92

Ok ill be the belkar bitterleaf of the party
I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.

MWBailey

I'd like a role as a hardboiled private detective sort, I believe (assuming I can pull that off). Villain? Hero? Maybe outside that continuum, or whatever works.

Andrew Styles

Will we be running it here? If so, we need some more people. Wat to recruit, or use some other site?

MWBailey

Personally, I'm leery of other sites; I've never had an RP elsewhere that worked out. That's not to say that somewhere else is a bad idea, necessarily, of course. My negativity is mainly subjective, I suspect.

H.Tuto

I am still very interested though I must admit I'm rather lost as to what the current plan is. Are we still deciding on where to run it? And the IC and OOC threads are structured as if we are at a gaming table? A subtle difference from normal but sounds fine to me.
The H. stands for Hieronymus. Why? Because it sounds positively nifty!

MWBailey

Sounds about right. I'm waiting to hear, myself.

Andrew Styles

Ill have the details up by wednesday at the latest!

Andrew Styles

okay, here's how it will work: I will not be a PC, but rather a Game master of traditional sorts, meaning I roll dice for combat, and play as NPCs. The game will have two threads, one for the game, and one for the out of character play. Instead of just doing an aaction, like driving to an old house, you say that you want to do so in the OOC thread, like at a pen and paper rpg table. Because I will not be playing, I roll a 100 sided dice, and add bonus (more on that in the sign up thread). Then, depending on whether you suceed or fail, you write about that happens in the game thread. Your characters will be almost character sheets, with skills and the like to give you bonuses. It will be a slower paced game, but with larger, more in depth posts. Is anyone up for it?

MWBailey

Sounds intereresting. How do the bonuses, etc. work?

steamcowboy92