News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steam Western, Cowboys in the UK.

Started by Mr Addams, February 25, 2013, 12:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockula

Quote from: IGetPwnedOften on April 03, 2013, 09:18:24 PM
As for guns for Steam Western, if it hasn't already been mentioned, you might consider the Lanard Rotator X-8:

I've got one of those sitting amongst the 20 or so other guns I plan to work on. Mine's actually transparent so I've yet to decide whether to paint it all or incorporate internal lights.

At the moment I'm trying to find another cheap plastic Winchester in order to make a Steampunk 'Mare's Leg'. The last one I ordered came in at only 20" and it's fine as a miniature but not really life sized. I'd like a replica but they now fall the wrong side of the 1870 rule and are like hen's teeth. I've got the holster but nothing to go in it.  ;D
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Capt. Dirigible

QuoteLanard Rotator

Didn't he used to be Rigsby in 'Rising Damp'? ;D
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

IGetPwnedOften

I see what you did there.

Nicely played sir, nicely played  ;D
"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."

Mr Addams

I have done a bit of Googleing on the subject, and the Lanard Rotator X-8 appears to be a popular choice amongst Modders, with some fairly impressive examples to be seen.

There are 5 left in stock, via Amazon, HERE.
And replacement ammo is available HERE

IGetPwnedOften

Amazon is about the only place to get the Rotator. I saw one on ebay but they wanted over £30 for it. There were some painted ones for sale but upon closer inspection I realised the sellers self-proclaimed "amazing" paint job was actually not that impressive.

Having said that, there are some very good mods out there.

This gun might be of interest for a quick draw contest - it has an interesting dragon design and is very cheap.

Anyway, I'm not going to hijack this thread any more - we already have a gun thread, unless people want me to continue if I see something I think might be of interest?

Mr Addams

Quote from: IGetPwnedOften on April 04, 2013, 04:06:10 PM

Anyway, I'm not going to hijack this thread any more - we already have a gun thread, unless people want me to continue if I see something I think might be of interest?

I think that there is a distinction to be made here between guns in general, and guns that lend themselves to the Steamwestern "look".

Hopefully, over the coming weeks we will see Costume, gadgets, and non-nerf steamwestern guns. Nerfs are on topic at the moment following the discussions at Camber, however I imagine that there will be a broader array of topics to come.

Argus Fairbrass

I suppose we should also remember that Nerf does have a kind of rival. Although the prices on some are ridiculous, the Tek Blaster is reasonable and seems to have a kind of Winchester-y vibe.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Air-Blasters-Double-Shot-Pack/dp/B004458Q62/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_h_b_cs_1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BuzzBee-Rapid-Fire-Tek-Blaster/dp/B005A4VRGM/ref=sr_1_25?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1365123251&sr=1-25&keywords=BuzzBee+toys
Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

Sir A Poiselamppe

Quote from: Argus Fairbrass on April 05, 2013, 12:59:21 AM
I suppose we should also remember that Nerf does have a kind of rival. Although the prices on some are ridiculous, the Tek Blaster is reasonable and seems to have a kind of Winchester-y vibe.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BuzzBee-Rapid-Fire-Tek-Blaster/dp/B005A4VRGM/ref=sr_1_25?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1365123251&sr=1-25&keywords=BuzzBee+toys

Ah yes had one of these for The do at camber sands, all went well until I unwittingly drilled through the air line in the front grip....   easily fixed however....

Fat Spider

The Lanard Rotator may look the part but it would suffer against something like the Nerf Maverick in a quick draw contest, that is assuming of course that the rules were for drawing and priming the weapon.

And I still refuse to pay more for shipping than the item itself ;D
Don't Worry, Be Happy.

Photofishboy

QuoteAt the moment I'm trying to find another cheap plastic Winchester in order to make a Steampunk 'Mare's Leg'. The last one I ordered came in at only 20" and it's fine as a miniature but not really life sized. I'd like a replica but they now fall the wrong side of the 1870 rule and are like hen's teeth. I've got the holster but nothing to go in it.
I've been wanting a mare's leg too and the other day I noticed that Battle Orders have just started selling a mare's leg replica but are calling it an '1866 model', rather than the 1892 that I believe it should be. I'm assuming this means you can buy it without a reenactor's licence. I'm sorely tempted but not sure if I can justify the £100 pricetag.

Rockula

Quote from: Photofishboy on April 06, 2013, 01:08:39 PM
I've been wanting a mare's leg too and the other day I noticed that Battle Orders have just started selling a mare's leg replica but are calling it an '1866 model', rather than the 1892 that I believe it should be. I'm assuming this means you can buy it without a reenactor's licence. I'm sorely tempted but not sure if I can justify the £100 pricetag.

I CAN JUSTIFY THE PRICE TAG! It's my birthday in a few days and I've just ordered myself a present. Thank you for the 'heads-up'. Happy dance to follow. :)

Photofishboy

You're most welcome! Just out of interest, did you make or buy the holster for it?

Rockula

Quote from: Photofishboy on April 06, 2013, 01:57:18 PM
You're most welcome! Just out of interest, did you make or buy the holster for it?

I have two. One I made.....badly. I'm not really that skilled at any of the 'maker' things associated with Steampunk. I mostly 'adapt' existing items in a fairly amateur way. Painting and modding guns is probably the only thing I've got at any good at all so far. But building a brass Steampunk style PPSh-41 is my plan for the Summer now that I have access to my brother's workshop and tools. We'll see how that turns out.

The other holster I got off eBay.

Mr Addams

I recently read a site about LARP guns and the violent crimes reduction bill, that suggested that because the action and design predates the 1870 rule. all winchesters were legal.

A distinguishing feature of the 1866 pattern Winchester is the Bronze Alloy body, from which it derives its popular name, "Yellow Boy".

Battle orders have a selection of Winchester rifles in their "Western Rifles" section.
It is notable that apart from the actual 1866 pattern replica, all of the rifles that are described as "1860's" or similar, (apart from the "ENGRAVED WINCHESTER 1860's" which looks to me like an 1886 model,) lack the bronze body that would identify it as pre-1870.

It is worth remembering that under the act, it is not illegal to own a realistic replica.

QuoteA person is guilty of an offence if—
(a)he manufactures a realistic imitation firearm;
(b)he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm;
(c)he sells a realistic imitation firearm; or
(d)he brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought into Great Britain.

So if Battle orders considers these guns safe to sell, it is they tat are taking the risk.

Of course, it is always important to remember that carrying any replica firearm in public is highly problematic. If a police armed response unit gets a call stating that somebody has been seen carrying a firearm, that are not going to ask "Was it pre-1870?"

Having read further through the act, the 1870 rule is fairly vague.

Quote(8)In subsection (7) "modern firearm" means any firearm other than one the appearance of which would tend to identify it as having a design and mechanism of a sort first dating from before the year 1870.

This could be taken to mean that any generic "Cowboy Gun" would be covered. But if it were ever to come to the crunch it would be down to the disposition of the court, on the day.

I also looked at the blank firing guns that are on sale on the Battle Orders website, that fall within the remit of the VCRB in order to purchase one of these, you have to tick a box stating that you are either a film company, a museum/gallery, or a re-enactor, the exceptions described by the act.

Rockula

Quote from: Mr Addams on April 08, 2013, 07:10:22 AM
This could be taken to mean that any generic "Cowboy Gun" would be covered.

The strange thing is you can buy a replica Colt Peacemaker that falls just outside of the 1870 rule (1873 I believe) at any number of online outlets without having to have a VCR Exception, but virtually that exact model is actually still in production as a real gun. But, apparently, because it LOOKS like it would have been pre-1870 it's o.k.

With regard to the 1866 Mares Leg...I'm not sure I can actually see ANY difference between it and the model FORMERLY sold as 1892. Also, the 1892 model, which should be covered by VCR, is now being sold on Amazon in the UK without the sellers asking for a VCR Exemption. I wonder if the sellers will fall foul of the law or if, again, because it's based on an earlier model they can get away with it.

It's all very confusing.

I think I'll have to join a re-enactment group. :)

rabuctlw

This Henry Louis Janin tarnished tumbler house windows usually are whole as any yellowed report bed sheet for Schubert's La symphonie durante supposrr que mineur which will is found at the guitar.It had not been really snapshot faultlessness while Mulberry thought we would leave his particular Rome urban center area to that manufacturing suburb, a lot on the triste with his particular city-loving girl.mulberry outlet (That was some time before Showering for Asnières , any Post-impressionist artwork by Georges-Pierre Seurat, designed town prominent) Nonetheless, Vuitton received seen the actual possibility within the metropolis which had been based correctly upon banking companies in the Seine (for straightforward passage on the well-liked real wood designed for their trunks), had been around the railway path that will Rome Saint-Lazare as well as offered adequate living space to build the label's very first atelier. While currently there are Teen tutorials throughout the world, the particular Asnières glass-top atelier however continues to be accountable for producing totes suited for this runway, exotics , special-order pieces together with custom-made trunks.

Rockula

But is that pre or post-1870 spam?

Photofishboy

It's funny, I've had a couple of Colts for a while and it never even occurred to me that strictly speaking they fall within the remit of the VCR act!

The seller on Amazon with the Mare's Leg replica is based in Germany, so I don't know what import implications would be. They also have a Mauser replica listed, which I was tempted by but didn't order for the same reason.

IGetPwnedOften

Quote from: Rockula on April 08, 2013, 09:55:43 AM
But is that pre or post-1870 spam?

That raised a dry smile, brightening up an otherwise dull morning, cheers  ;D

On topic, having looked at the various laws and such, I think I'll be steering well clear of any weapons unless its a closed venue. I had no problem with me or my son carrying our modded Nerf weapons at Camber for example, because we had the place to ourselves, but I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying anything at a more public venue like the Asylum for example.

The problem is, the majority of regular people it seems are a bit daft, and liable to panic and call the rozzers at the drop of a hat and that's a diversion I could do without. Having said that, I would hope even the daftest person would see someone dressed in a "cowboy outfit" and realise they're unlikely to be off to hold up a bank.

Rockula

Has anybody taken apart a Lanard Rotator X-8 for modding/painting?

Just wondered if there are any pitfalls and if it screws back together o.k.

If not I'll paint it as is.

IGetPwnedOften

I took mine apart last weekend. I haven't finished and reassembled in yet, but it's not massively complicated inside.

I always take plenty of pictures of the mechanism with my phone as I disassemble anything - it makes reassembly much easier.

Mr Addams

I have been trying to resist the Rough Cut that Tescos has been selling at £5 off. Honest I have guv!
I finally succumbed. I am now trying to figure out the best way to paint/Mod it so that it looks "Cowboy".

Rockula

Quote from: Mr Addams on April 10, 2013, 05:14:12 PM
I have been trying to resist the Rough Cut that Tescos has been selling at £5 off. Honest I have guv!
I finally succumbed. I am now trying to figure out the best way to paint/Mod it so that it looks "Cowboy".

I've been watching the price slowly come down on that as well.

On another note; When some of us (hopefully) return to Camber next year I think we should do some Steam Western in the pool. Then we can mod some of the Nerf water blasters too. And maybe enter a team in the Volley Boater. :)

Engineer

Quote from: Rockula on April 10, 2013, 06:15:27 PM
Quote from: Mr Addams on April 10, 2013, 05:14:12 PM

I've been watching the price slowly come down on that as well.

On another note; When some of us (hopefully) return to Camber next year I think we should do some Steam Western in the pool. Then we can mod some of the Nerf water blasters too. And maybe enter a team in the Volley Boater. :)

We would have to wear Western style 'long johns' instead of the usual swimming costumes. Team leader to wear a sheriff's badge? :)

Photofishboy

I got suckered into buying the Rough Cut from Tescos the very same day I got back from Camber!