News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steam Western, Cowboys in the UK.

Started by Mr Addams, February 25, 2013, 12:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Quote from: immortalis on March 01, 2013, 05:35:53 PM
Any other steam-westernpunks going to the seaside?  Maybe a meet up?

Good idea - I'll make sure to pack my brown gunfighter suit and Derby hat.

Rockula

Quote from: immortalis on March 01, 2013, 05:35:53 PM
Any other steam-westernpunks going to the seaside?  Maybe a meet up?

Yup. Reckon so.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Sir A Poiselamppe

will see if I can  remember to pack something

immortalis

Thats the easy bit for me if I forget it I have nothing to wear  :-[

Mr Addams

Most of my cowboy gear has been boxed away for years, and even if it still fits me, it is unlikly to see the light of day in time for Steampunk at the seaside.
However, is it worth organising a brief gathering of interested parties at this event, in order to discuss the potential for UK steamwestern?

Rockula

Capt. Dirigible

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Rockula

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on March 04, 2013, 02:30:39 PM
Quote from: Rockula on March 04, 2013, 01:43:26 PM
I've bought a sombrero.

..and a fluffy donkey?

No. A Vaquero jacket, trousers and Tequila bandoliers actually.  ;)

Eric T Paradigm

Quote from: Mr Addams on March 04, 2013, 01:31:01 PM
Most of my cowboy gear has been boxed away for years, and even if it still fits me, it is unlikly to see the light of day in time for Steampunk at the seaside.
However, is it worth organising a brief gathering of interested parties at this event, in order to discuss the potential for UK steamwestern?

Unfortunately I am not going to the Steampunk at the seaside event, so please post any decisions/plans/ideas from your discussions here for Lincoln steamwestern gatherings or shoot outs. (A lynch mob always is a good party starter, I find.)
Eric T. Paradigm
Chief Engineer & Proprietor
Paradigm Engineering Co. Ltd
Hampshire

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: Rockula on March 04, 2013, 02:33:31 PM
I've bought a sombrero.

..and a fluffy donkey?

So you're on the look out for two more 'Cabelleros'?

Rockula

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on March 04, 2013, 09:19:53 PM
Quote from: Rockula on March 04, 2013, 02:33:31 PM
I've bought a sombrero.

..and a fluffy donkey?

So you're on the look out for two more 'Cabelleros'?

More 'Pancho Villa with added cogs' than '3 Mariachis with dodgy gear' hopefully, mate.

Mr Addams

Quote from: Eric T Paradigm on March 04, 2013, 09:00:32 PM
Quote from: Mr Addams on March 04, 2013, 01:31:01 PM

Unfortunately I am not going to the Steampunk at the seaside event, so please post any decisions/plans/ideas from your discussions here for Lincoln steamwestern gatherings or shoot outs. (A lynch mob always is a good party starter, I find.)

My dear Mr Paradigm,
This should, of course, go without saying. Steampunk is after all, nothing without sharing.
Whilst the Asylum is a good starting point, with a little bit of luck, we may see other lynchings taking place in the future.

Sir A Poiselamppe

Quote from: Mr Addams on March 05, 2013, 08:01:52 AM
Whilst the Asylum is a good starting point, with a little bit of luck, we may see other lynchings taking place in the future.

As an alternative to lynchings we should be looking into a Train "Heist" as this would be in keeping with the ethos of the day.....

Capt. Dirigible

QuoteAs an alternative to lynchings we should be looking into a Train "Heist" as this would be in keeping with the ethos of the day.....

Hopefully the resort park has one of those little trains for kids to ride round the park on...

Fat Spider

My first attempt at dressing Steamy was very Western, (I was cowboy mad as a child) although I cheated a little by using my everyday Fedora adorned with goggles :)

I should mention here for the unenlightened who may be on the lookout for bargain Stetsons and Ten Gallon hats, The hat that really "won the west" was reportedly the humble Bowler :o
Stetson originally designed what later became known as the Ten Gallon Hat but the "Stetson" the Cowboy hat as we know it today wasn't designed until the early 1900's

PS: I am now sat here cursing the originator of this thread as the cost of western rigs on ebay is about to skyrocket >:(    ;D ;D ;D
Don't Worry, Be Happy.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Sir A Poiselamppe on March 05, 2013, 10:18:30 AM
Quote from: Mr Addams on March 05, 2013, 08:01:52 AM

As an alternative to lynchings we should be looking into a Train "Heist" as this would be in keeping with the ethos of the day.....

Well given that we may have one or two bounty hunters a la Clint Easwood and Lee van Cleef in For a few dollars more (myself included) we could even have a good chase sequence.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Herr Döktor

Engineer

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on March 05, 2013, 10:59:42 AM
QuoteAs an alternative to lynchings we should be looking into a Train "Heist" as this would be in keeping with the ethos of the day.....

Hopefully the resort park has one of those little trains for kids to ride round the park on...

Even better, this is nearby: http://www.rhdr.org.uk/

Argus Fairbrass

Quote from: Fat Spider on March 05, 2013, 11:05:04 AM
I should mention here for the unenlightened who may be on the lookout for bargain Stetsons and Ten Gallon hats, The hat that really "won the west" was reportedly the humble Bowler :o
Stetson originally designed what later became known as the Ten Gallon Hat but the "Stetson" the Cowboy hat as we know it today wasn't designed until the early 1900's
True, but I would just say Stetson did what a lot of successful designers have done, IE he took previously established designs and gave them his own slant. Hence his name became most associated with that style, but they were around previously.

This handsome fellow for example always goes down well with the ladies so I'll post him again.

Spoiler: ShowHide

I can't remember the exact date of that off hand, but it was date tested and it's definitely late C19th. From what I gather one popular thing was essentially to buy an open crowned hat blank, similar to Stetsons famous "Boss Of The Planes" design from the 1860's, and bash it yourself.

It's certainly true that historically speaking many C19th styles were worn out west, but it's just a fact that nothing says cowboy quite like a cowboy hat, and there's a very definite (if slightly misinformed) idea these days as to what that is.

Mind you I still have debates with folks who seem to believe the Fedora wasn't invented until the 1920's, so what can you do?  :D

Anyway sorry for the threadjack, we now return to our regularly scheduled program.
Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

Rockula

Fat Spider

Quotebut it's just a fact that nothing says cowboy quite like a cowboy hat

How very true, historically correct or not.
Perhaps we should imagine in our Steamy world that Mr Stetson got his finger out and designed the "Cowboy Hat" a little earlier, YeeHah!
Don't Worry, Be Happy.

Capt. Dirigible

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on March 06, 2013, 05:51:45 PM
Quote from: Rockula on March 06, 2013, 03:17:50 PM

AY CARAMBA!!! :o

Now be honest chaps, is it just me, or does anyone instantly hear 'la cucaracha' when looking at this particular piece of millinery?
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Capt. Dirigible

QuoteNow be honest chaps, is it just me, or does anyone instantly hear 'la cucaracha' when looking at this particular piece of millinery?

Personally I have a strange impulse to dance on it!

Mexican Hat Dance

Engineer

After a productive afternoon I now have a leather holster for my Nerf. I'm quite pleased myself, as the holster came out a lot better than I expected  :)