News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The dusty pelt- a room for steampunks of a furry variety

Started by septango, June 12, 2013, 10:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

septango

I figure this needed to be made, so here it is

this is a room for those who enjoy a little fuzz with their brass,
and discussion on anything steamfur related, non furries feel free to ask questions

c'mon dont be shy introduce yourself

--------------------
about two weeks later.....
--------------------
**looks around** hmm, where ARE they?
Oh, I remember this place from when I first arrived....
I wandered alone but somehow survived...

Philip

Quote from: septango on June 12, 2013, 10:57:27 PM

this is a room for those who enjoy a little fuzz with there brass.

Not familiar with that. Could you explane please?
Have gone to find myself, if I should return, please ask me to wait.

Capt. Dirigible

I'm amazed this thread has been here since June 12! I would have thought it would have been locked by a mod within an hour or so of being posted.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't we had...'issues' with furries in the past?
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Major Willoughby Chase

Considering the issues we had last time, we're keeping an eye on it.

Dr cornelius quack

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on June 25, 2013, 02:18:46 PM
I'm amazed this thread has been here since June 12! I would have thought it would have been locked by a mod within an hour or so of being posted.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't we had...'issues' with furries in the past?

Only the rabid ones.
Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.

septango

hehe yeah we can be a difficult bunch, but I assure you I will keep this room under control

that is if any furries are even on this site.......

what issues exactly?

Dr cornelius quack

Just the usual silliness that kicks off when a few humorless individuals read a light hearted, throwaway group of posts and get a bit hot under the flea collar about it.

I don't know about how many folks on the site have an interest in things 'Furry'.
There doesn't seem to any great number of threads that mention it.

Perhaps folks just prefer to keep the two things separate?

Major Willoughby Chase

Your best bet is to go to click on SEARCH (the word, top left, not the search box, top right), do an Advanced Search for "furries" listed by most recent first and take a read, there are only a page or two of results and a fair few of those are in the mod area you can't see, so for you, maybe only a page of results.

Besides, you don't need to worry about keeping the room under control. The Mods, Governors and Admin will step in if need be. As long as it stays forum suitable no-one will have anything to worry about, however history has shown that this subject tends to get quite emotive on both sides.  Hence us already 'keeping an eye' on this thread. :)

Siliconous Skumins

Quote from: septango on June 25, 2013, 09:00:45 PM

what issues exactly?

Well, the 'main event' started with picture taken at a steampunk event, it featured one of our well known members aiming a steampunk gun at a group of Furries in a sort of comedy Victorian "safari hunting" scene. It was all in good fun and was agreed to by the Furries involved - no issues at the time, and fun was had by all.

Now add a little time and Facebook (I believe), and the picture apparently caused an uproar in the Furry community. Lots of things were said / claimed, some insults flowed, etc. - all the usual stuff that happens on the internet with angry people...  Complete Mountain out of a mole hill.

To be honest, with the views that were expressed towards Steampunks in general, I doubt you will find many Furries on this forum now. I have not seen any for quite some time, so this thread may be a bit dead...   :-\ 

SS
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

septango

Quote from: Siliconous Skumins on June 25, 2013, 09:37:03 PM
Quote from: septango on June 25, 2013, 09:00:45 PM

what issues exactly?

Well, the 'main event' started with picture taken at a steampunk event, it featured one of our well known members aiming a steampunk gun at a group of Furries in a sort of comedy Victorian "safari hunting" scene. It was all in good fun and was agreed to by the Furries involved - no issues at the time, and fun was had by all.

Now add a little time and Facebook (I believe), and the picture apparently caused an uproar in the Furry community. Lots of things were said / claimed, some insults flowed, etc. - all the usual stuff that happens on the internet with angry people...  Complete Mountain out of a mole hill.

To be honest, with the views that were expressed towards Steampunks in general, I doubt you will find many Furries on this forum now. I have not seen any for quite some time, so this thread may be a bit dead...   :-\ 

SS

hehe, hunting the MOST dangerous game I see

also, on further inspection I see that your old fur community tended to be otherkin, yeah they can get passionate

Philip

I have looked up furries. It is not for me , but is fascinating. Looking at the artistry of it I would like to maybe talk to more of them

I think it would be interesting to learn more about the people and art behind it all .   
Have gone to find myself, if I should return, please ask me to wait.

bicyclebuilder

Quote from: Philip on June 26, 2013, 06:45:19 AM
I have looked up furries. It is not for me , but is fascinating. Looking at the artistry of it I would like to maybe talk to more of them

I think it would be interesting to learn more about the people and art behind it all .   
Same here.

I have never seen a furry in "the wild". I have seen Steampunk and Dieselpunk in public, without a convention or a gathering. In the city Streets, with all kind of attire, SP en DP is accepted. I can imagine Furries aren't, unless they are part of a street preformance act or something. I think it's mainly because of the hidden faces behind a mask.

On a sidenote, I think have experienced something similair to being a furry in public. I was a "zwarte piet" (the one on the right
Spoiler: ShowHide
) a couple of times. It is rather fun to be incognito and in character. The character is so powerfull, it's hard to get out of character.
The best way to learn is by personal experience.

Angus A Fitziron

On a slightly related note, I mixed my steam with a bit of fur at my daughter's birthday - she wanted a Lion Witch and Wardrobe theme so I was Mr.Beaver with waistcoat, fob watch and fur! However, I do understand that this is not being a 'furry' but each to his (or her) own I say.

And welcome! I hope this all goes well...

Mr.Beaver

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"

septango

Quote from: Angus A Fitziron on June 26, 2013, 10:48:49 AM
On a slightly related note, I mixed my steam with a bit of fur at my daughter's birthday - she wanted a Lion Witch and Wardrobe theme so I was Mr.Beaver with waistcoat, fob watch and fur! However, I do understand that this is not being a 'furry' but each to his (or her) own I say.

And welcome! I hope this all goes well...

Mr.Beaver

---------------------------
I cant figure out multiquote, srry
-----
I have never seen a furry in "the wild". I have seen Steampunk and Dieselpunk in public, without a convention or a gathering. In the city Streets, with all kind of attire, SP en DP is accepted. I can imagine Furries aren't, unless they are part of a street preformance act or something. I think it's mainly because of the hidden faces behind a mask. 

mr beaver is furry, if it is an animal that talks its furry

anyway, got any pics? Id like to see that

and Idk about other countries but in america there are laws against wearing masks in public in some states, and those suits are VERRYY VERRRYYY hot to wear, like 5 winter coats hot

bicyclebuilder

Does the mask-law include make up? I can imagine with some make up and sculpted/trimmed facial hair, one could create an animal face. (think Wolverine with make up)

Or with Furry you mean full suit and head covered mask?

To bring together Steampunk and Furry, I would think of Montana Jones and Sherlock Hound. Human body and attire with an animal face and tail.

Perhaps not Furry, but creapy awesome: http://melesmeles-faber.deviantart.com/gallery/
This could be combined with Steampunk clothes and props.

Rockula

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

septango

there are lots of differant types, the full mascots are most common, followed by partials (a mascot head with arms for wearing under normal clothes)

I havent seen facepaint but Im sure it exists, I have seen some prostedic masks but they are VVEERRYY creepy for some reason, I think its the differance in how the human head is compared to most animals

much like steampunk, there is no real "right way" to do it

Lady Chrystal

Quote from: bicyclebuilder on June 26, 2013, 09:20:09 AM
On a sidenote, I think have experienced something similair to being a furry in public. I was a "zwarte piet" (the one on the right ...) a couple of times. It is rather fun to be incognito and in character. The character is so powerfull, it's hard to get out of character.

We have a Black Peter in our midst!

Excellent.

Furry culture does sound interesting, but far too warm for me.  :)
"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."

Argus Fairbrass

Forgive my curiosity but I am highly intrigued. Did any of you guys apply for this?

http://m.gumtree.com/v?adId=1021568193
Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

Capt. Dirigible

QuoteWe have a Black Peter in our midst!

Do you get a 'Black Peter' badge? ;D

Dr cornelius quack

Quote from: Argus Fairbrass on June 26, 2013, 07:08:02 PM
Forgive my curiosity but I am highly intrigued. Did any of you guys apply for this?

http://m.gumtree.com/v?adId=1021568193

The ad mentions that this person has a workshop in the house and lives in a seaside town

Leads me to believe that he might be a Carpenter.

bicyclebuilder

I think the full mascotte suit looks rather childish. There are so many children tv shows with them in it. Also, it doesn't look "real" to me.  :-\
I think, if I had to choose, I'd go for a "rupert" kind of suit. Regular clothes with mask and gloves. I do like centaur stelts though.

Digilegs Demo

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: bicyclebuilder on June 28, 2013, 10:24:23 AM
. I do like centaur stelts though.

Digilegs Demo

They're really cool!

As are the werewolf ones..same principle different 'feet'. I've always fancied a pair of them. The closest you'd get me to 'furring up' is an 'Underworld' style werewolf suit.

werewolf stilts

bicyclebuilder

Imagine going out for a drink on a Friday night (full moon preferably) in an Underworld Werewolf suit.  ;D

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: bicyclebuilder on June 28, 2013, 11:26:57 AM
Imagine going out for a drink on a Friday night (full moon preferably) in an Underworld Werewolf suit.  ;D

Seriously? I'd LOVE to do that! Those suits are just so awesome...