News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Flea market Finds: Second-hand

Started by Siliconous Skumins, August 14, 2016, 04:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banfili

I scored a freebie on Wednesday - copy of a book  by 'The Children's Press', 1962 First Edition of "The Secret Tunnel" by Charles E. Gibson.
Cover illustration has a sea cave with submarine, so it's going to be smuggling and/or spies!

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on June 04, 2020, 10:11:52 AM
Before lockdown I noticed a black thing at a car boot. 20 quid and a deal was done.

Now stripped of paint and a quick dowse in toilet cleaner, I have a huge brass, possibly a valve from a fire station, the thread suits my other branches, not sure, with a little more cleaning and polishing will look nice, somewhere.

Quote from: Lord Pentecost on June 19, 2020, 07:09:01 AM
You are correct that it appears to be firefighting valve but I would suspect what you have there is a dry-riser outlet valve, something like this https://images.app.goo.gl/ErC83GxCTPrNkQMcA . I would suspect it would be from a demolition of a multi-storey building (most likely a 60's tower-block).
Thanks for that idea, I never even thought of a dry riser, you are probably right.

morozow

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCWG1RaC8W5

For the first time in a long time, he was free. I visited a junk shop.

catch old things from the village house.

Pliers, Steelyard, chapelnik (removable handle for pans).

And a 1952 radio station, Carbolite.

And an old box covered with postcards.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Prof Marvel

Well Golly, I have been looking for a small arbor press for some time, sort of choking
on the Harbor Freight price for a chinese cheapie... and low and behold one of my local
thrift stores had this lovely Industrial Strength unit:

AMP 91085-2
Arbor Press For Backshell Kit Tooling
list price $5,985.53

fleaby price ~ $150

my price - $5

egads I'm lucky!
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

Banfili

I scored a drill press for something like that, too!

Deimos

Quote from: Prof Marvel on July 16, 2020, 11:09:12 PM
Well Golly, I have been looking for a small arbor press for some time, sort of choking
on the Harbor Freight price for a chinese cheapie... and low and behold one of my local

AMP 91085-2
list price $5,985.53

fleaby price ~ $150

my price - $5

egads I'm lucky!

How many tons?
"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

Prof Marvel

Quote from: Deimos on July 17, 2020, 01:32:57 PM
Quote from: Prof Marvel on July 16, 2020, 11:09:12 PM

AMP 91085-2
list price $5,985.53

fleaby price ~ $150

my price - $5

egads I'm lucky!

How many tons?

Oddly, I haven't been able to find that spec!
it is nicely overbuilt, but it was designed for press-fitting wires into cables, and pressfit the cable-end half-shells around the cable socket.

prf mvl

RJBowman

From an antique vendor at the local farmer's market:

It is a novelty book that fires a paper cap when it is opened. The mechanism is just like a cap gun. The pages are from an old grammar textbook.

RJBowman

Today's find; this fine state-of-the-art radio:

Cost me 30 bucks. All hand-made; possibly from plans printed in an early radio magazine. That big coil is just the right size to have been made from a cardboard Quaker Oats can. Missing is the ear phone and the galena crystal. Just a reminder that not all early electronics contained vacuum tubes.

Do they still broadcast the Arlington Time Signal?

Prof Marvel

Quote from: RJBowman on October 29, 2020, 10:46:28 PM

Cost me 30 bucks. All hand-made; possibly from plans printed in an early radio magazine. That big coil is just the right size to have been made from a cardboard Quaker Oats can. Missing is the ear phone and the galena crystal. Just a reminder that not all early electronics contained vacuum tubes.

Great Find!
If you can't find a galena, you can substitute a 1N34 for $.55
https://www.surplus-electronics-sales.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=916

yhs
prf mvl

RJBowman

Quote from: Prof Marvel on October 30, 2020, 08:27:34 AM

Great Find!
If you can't find a galena, you can substitute a 1N34 for $.55
https://www.surplus-electronics-sales.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=916

yhs
prf mvl

It's my understanding that crystal detectors are very touchy and temperamental; i might put a crystal in the cup but bypass it with a diode.

mizzarrogh

I think copper oxide or a grapite pen tip on a razorblade tecnically would do, but a crystal would look awsome.
I think for example pyrite will do as well as galena, but maybe does not look that nice. However both are pretty common crystals to find in mines.

With the germanium diod i think any crystal will do as display, anyway.

mizzarrogh

I think i will keep this as it is and just clean it up a bit and repair the knob. (i want to keep it functional so it can be used for it's intended purpose).
Probably from an old army fieldradio telegraph set.

I got this realy sheap on a national internet action site (probably because it was labeled wrong and did not show up in the normal search list), i think it was like 4 cent or so + another 6bucks for the shipping, normaly they are quite expensive here.

morozow

We had a New Year. And Ded Moroz brought the boy Morozov and his daughter a gift.

Filmoscope. Soviet hayen filmoscope produced in 1990.

A powerful lamp that allows you to watch filmstrips during the day, a control panel on a wire 8 meters long. The ability to view slides and biological preparations (instead of a microscope).

Even Ded Moroz brought a set of filmstrips 60-70-ies dedicated to agriculture in wonderful carbolite boxes.

He brought children's stories, too.

Well, a bonus, one of these filmstrips dedicated to the technology of cooking smoked pork -
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJl1G12KxLE/

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

von Corax

I remember those things from elementary school!
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

E.J.MonCrieff

Quote from: Prof Marvel on April 18, 2017, 12:03:07 AM
My Dear Morozow  -

That Is Beautiful!

My wife tells me that the oldest color of glass is naturally green,
and that a bowl-shaed glass is ideal for brandy  ;)

yhs
prof marvel

It is true that the oldest colour of glass is green - this is because of small quantities of iron present in most sand. You can see this colour if you look at a sheet of window glass edge-on.  Glassmakers do their best to get rid of it.  But the green colour in this decanter and glasses is a different one, and deliberately introduced.  Have you tried looking at it under ultra-violet light?  If it fluoresces, then the colour is due to a small quantity of uranium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass

RJBowman

What's the symbol on the lids? It looks like a hammer and some other tool.

E.J.MonCrieff

Further to my earlier post on this thread, anyone who is worried about drinking from a glass coloured with Uranium might care to read this

https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer%20products/vaseline.htm 

morozow

Quote from: RJBowman on January 10, 2021, 06:42:31 PM

Looking at my copies, I would say that a hammer, a jackhammer and a photo tape.

But I found another version of this image, maybe it's a caliper.

https://diafilmy.su/forum/topic/26-korobochki-dlia-diafilmov/#entry87

These filmstrips are made - a Factory of on-screen educational and visual aids.

Mercury Wells

Quote from: morozow on January 10, 2021, 07:37:09 PM
Quote from: RJBowman on January 10, 2021, 06:42:31 PM

Looking at my copies, I would say that a hammer, a jackhammer and a photo tape.

But I found another version of this image, maybe it's a caliper.

https://diafilmy.su/forum/topic/26-korobochki-dlia-diafilmov/#entry87

These filmstrips are made - a Factory of on-screen educational and visual aids.

"Health & Safety" in the workplace films?.
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

morozow

not quite, though close. Rather, reviews of some topics for professional development. For example, I gave a link to Instagram, there are frames from filmstrips dedicated to the methods of processing pork, for the manufacture of smoked meat.

There are for example filmstrips about useful and harmful microbes in relation to agriculture.

About caring for the hooves of farm animals.

I can assume that they could serve as illustrative material for lectures and some training courses. I have seen references to pamphlets accompanying such filmstrips.

morozow

J. Wilhelm

Could you try it out first by using a rectifier diode instead of the crystal and an electret earphone? Should work the same (sad there are no Radio Shacks around the corner nowadays).

Edit: not electret, but rather piezoelectric earphone.

RJBowman

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on January 23, 2021, 03:05:27 PM

Could you try it out first by using a rectifier diode instead of the crystal and an electret earphone? Should work the same (sad there are no Radio Shacks around the corner nowadays).

Edit: not electret, but rather piezoelectric earphone.

I still haven't tried it out, but I figure I'll try it with a diode some day; maybe but a crystal in the little cup for looks and hide a diode underneath for function because a mass produced diode is a little easier to get to work.

Madasasteamfish

Well, in celebration of being able to actually leave the house, yesterday I had a wander through town and called in my local antiques market thingie place, and amongst other things picked up this for a tenner:

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."