News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Flea market Finds: Second-hand

Started by Siliconous Skumins, August 14, 2016, 04:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maduncle

Quote from: E.J.MonCrieff on August 08, 2021, 05:48:58 PM
It looks as if all the terminals inside the heater are on a ceramic block.  You should be able to get cable with butyl rubber insulation to connect the heater to the mains, and it looks as if the reflector will polish up nicely.  Very nice find!

Thanks, the heater won't go back in as I will fit a light socket instead.

I have given the copper a buff, light sand and polish to put some highlights in retain some patina.
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

mizzarrogh

It reminds me of the requisita/props in the Young Frankenstein movie, one of my personal all time favorite movies.  :)

maduncle

Quote from: mizzarrogh on August 14, 2021, 05:50:21 PM
It reminds me of the requisita/props in the Young Frankenstein movie, one of my personal all time favorite movies.  :)

"Blucher..."

maduncle

Got myself a 1920's Chicago Apparatus Company scale model training aid used to demonstrate how steam train power is transmitted to the drive wheel.

This is a bit special.

mizzarrogh

Awsome!
I Collect old steam toys my self.  :)

E.J.MonCrieff

Quote from: maduncle on August 28, 2021, 10:41:15 AM

Got myself a 1920's Chicago Apparatus Company scale model training aid used to demonstrate how steam train power is transmitted to the drive wheel.

This is a bit special.

Special is most certainly the word for it!  Will you be offering training sessions for neophyte Steampunks?

SeVeNeVeS

Carboot £5, a 200mm brass gauge.......

Result!... I'm sure I can use it somewhere.  ;)

E.J.MonCrieff

SeVeNeVeS, I'm sure you could find a use for it.  But if, by some mischance, you cannot, there must be a horde of Steampunks out there who could make use of it.....

mizzarrogh

I am pretty sue it hawe found a perfect home now!

I hawe a few later made gauges i salavaged when a friends dad renovated the 1950s central heating system in he's workshop.
I concider using them as wall decoration for a display table of the model steamplants and punk it up a bit with some old domestic pipe parts and old tools and other things i hawe lying around in the "nice to hawe" boxes...  ;D

I also picked out a pair of 1950s TV tubes wich where destroyed during the shipping but enough preserved to serve as decorations.

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: E.J.MonCrieff on September 12, 2021, 04:45:53 PM
SeVeNeVeS, I'm sure you could find a use for it.  But if, by some mischance, you cannot, there must be a horde of Steampunks out there who could make use of it.....

Oh, it will be put to a very good use my friend, no doubt about that one, all part of a master plan.

Quote from: mizzarrogh on September 12, 2021, 05:11:08 PM
I am pretty sue it hawe found a perfect home now!

I hawe a few later made gauges i salavaged when a friends dad renovated the 1950s central heating system in he's workshop.
I concider using them as wall decoration for a display table of the model steamplants and punk it up a bit with some old domestic pipe parts and old tools and other things i hawe lying around in the "nice to hawe" boxes...  ;D

I also picked out a pair of 1950s TV tubes wich where destroyed during the shipping but enough preserved to serve as decorations.

You tease us with snippets of information, ever thought of posting pictures in Tactile? If not complete, maybe a WIP, I think many here would still be interested, I know I would. Just a thought and I am not pressuring you btw.

mizzarrogh

I don't hawe many finished projects that look this good on pictures, most of it are long time projects or experiments.
But if You say so i will take a look in the boxes.  :)

maduncle

Sorontar

Good find maduncle, though not cheap.
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Madasasteamfish

Now as your standard fat git and being broad in the shoulders there's usually slim pickings for me on the 2nd hand market, but I was lucky enough to find this very nice white dinner jacket for less than a tenner.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Mercury Wells

Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on September 10, 2021, 03:47:19 PM

Your sundial, looks broke.  :)
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

SeVeNeVeS

Quote from: Mercury Wells on June 20, 2022, 08:33:33 PM
Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on September 10, 2021, 03:47:19 PM

Your sundial, looks broke.  :)

Possibly in need of a little extra cash to make it look good, but not skid row.

SeVeNeVeS

Tenner at a car boot, but, the big but, Iv'e been qouted £150 to shotblast and powder coat/ clearcoat........... may have to think about that one methinks.

Chains are really complicated to coat, which I understand, but might be a little rich for me right now, might just get the thing blasted for the moment, work out where it could go then think about colour and coatings later.