News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Flea market Finds: Second-hand

Started by Siliconous Skumins, August 14, 2016, 04:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siliconous Skumins

A new thread to replace the old, as we had reached 100 pages.

Hope you enjoy the pun in the title...  ;)

This thread continues from Flea market Finds.
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

Banfili

Hmmm, puns!

No flea market finds for me for a while - will have to go hunting again, methinks!

Siliconous Skumins

Found a free Victorian / Edwardian style wooden fire surround. Was left on the street 'free to take' as the house it came from is being stripped out.
It's very nice, and is quite a tall and substantial piece - was definitely not a cheap item when purchased. :)  Going to use this in my house, have temporarily stood it up against the chimney breast, and it look great! ;D

Also found a white marble hearth and solid piece backing that was used with the fire surround. While individually these are lovely, together they look HORRIBLE - and to top it off, there was an awful looking gas fire from the late 1980's that was used together with these!  ???  No wonder they threw the lot out!

The lovely marble back piece and hearth are going to be put to use with a very large original Victorian white marble surround, as the original tiled arch fireplace has many damaged and missing tiles. This is a substantial Fire surround that is in the large parlour of my mother's house, and we've been looking for something to get it fixed up. Perfect, and the price was right!  ;)
[Server Prayer]

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      My flesh is weak,

[/Server Prayer] 

Banfili

Free is (nearly!) always a good price! ;D

Prof Marvel

MArked for later contributions ....

yhs
prof marvel (retired)
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way

LukeHogbin

Just peeking in so I can get the updates, don't have much money to go flea market shopping myself...
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

Cora Courcelle

I'm trying to avoid flea markets until I've cleared out a lot of the junk I've already accumulated, but I love to see what others have found.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

LukeHogbin

Quote from: Cora Courcelle on August 24, 2016, 08:38:21 PM
I'm trying to avoid flea markets until I've cleared out a lot of the junk I've already accumulated, but I love to see what others have found.

Likewise. I have an entire flat + two basement storage places to clean out entirely. My mum was a total hamster, and I'm now left with stuff not only from her but also from my grandparents.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

morozow

We have to think about their children and grandchildren. You deprive them of the wonderful feelings of archaeological excavations and various discoveries in basements and closets .

Where they will breathe the dust of ages?
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

LukeHogbin

RJBowman

I once again recommend that everyone open a comic shop, because last week someone came into my shop and sold us this:

(Not my photo, but the same toy)

A Roy Rogers Horseshoe game. Vulcanized rubber horseshoes. Tin litho targets. The horseshoes have raised print of Roy Rogers' signature written in rope, and are stamped with the "RR" brand. Enough with brass and sepia-toned paint; I say that tin litho can be steampunk too.

Drew P

More "retro".....
Steampunk is already broad enough, let's keep it somewhat grounded.
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Siliconous Skumins

Quote from: Drew P on September 01, 2016, 02:36:55 AM

... let's keep it somewhat grounded.

Can't - we have airships...  :P

Hmmm, back to topic!

Oddly enough I can give an update on the fire surround I found in my post above : I'm fitting it into my house as I type! (pics to follow)  :)
[Server Prayer]

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      My flesh is weak,

[/Server Prayer] 

Banfili

Inflatable Friend

Quote from: RJBowman on August 31, 2016, 08:17:40 PM
Enough with brass and sepia-toned paint; I say that tin litho can be steampunk too.

Enough with the brown!

Ahem, sure, why not. Tin plate toys were around pre-WWI (wikipedia says 1850s). For people who like it set in certain time periods that should be enough.

Just, maybe not ones as garish as those :D

WinterHaven

Slight dilemma

Went rummaging in the 2nd hand shop for some cheapo fabric for a pattern attempt. Found a huge piece for 4€  but when I got home I've realised it's too nice for just experimenting. So now have to go hunting again for something to make the pattern with, and then have to think of a project for the first stuff.

Damn   :)
'If you were going to make a ghost-trap, how would you set about it? -particularly if you had not even a small ghost to practice on.' -Wyndham

RJBowman

Quote from: Inflatable Friend on September 04, 2016, 07:57:34 AM
Quote from: RJBowman on August 31, 2016, 08:17:40 PM
Enough with brass and sepia-toned paint; I say that tin litho can be steampunk too.

Enough with the brown!

Ahem, sure, why not. Tin plate toys were around pre-WWI (wikipedia says 1850s). For people who like it set in certain time periods that should be enough.

Just, maybe not ones as garish as those :D

Most of what was printed on tin in the early twentieth century looked like that; No subtle color separations for children's toys and noisemakers.

Hez

Quote from: WinterHaven on September 04, 2016, 09:25:00 AM
Slight dilemma

Went rummaging in the 2nd hand shop for some cheapo fabric for a pattern attempt. Found a huge piece for 4€  but when I got home I've realised it's too nice for just experimenting. So now have to go hunting again for something to make the pattern with, and then have to think of a project for the first stuff.

I do like that kind of dilemma.

WinterHaven

Quote from: Hez on September 05, 2016, 03:17:23 PM
Slight dilemma

I do like that kind of dilemma.

t's terribly distressing. I just don't now what I am to do about it
'If you were going to make a ghost-trap, how would you set about it? -particularly if you had not even a small ghost to practice on.' -Wyndham

RJBowman

So the only entry so far has been my Roy Rogers tin toy that came into my shop as part of a toy collection. Are there no flea markets left?

Lord Pentecost

Charity shop find, £3.50

The lamp base is modern plastic junk but the bulb....  ;D
"Any machine is a smoke-machine if you screw up badly enough"

Banfili

Prof. Cecily

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

Slight dilemma

This happened to me fairly recently. My advice? go for the original project- first put away that huge piece of fabric. Make the pattern, finish what it was you had in mind. When your mind is cleared of that affair, look at the fabric again. Either you'll find some inspiration for using it or simply get rid of it. Do NOT add to your fabric stash! The road to Hell is lined with fabric stashes.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

WinterHaven

Quote from: Prof. Cecily on October 11, 2016, 06:43:15 AM
Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

Slight dilemma

This happened to me fairly recently. My advice? go for the original project- first put away that huge piece of fabric. Make the pattern, finish what it was you had in mind. When your mind is cleared of that affair, look at the fabric again. Either you'll find some inspiration for using it or simply get rid of it. Do NOT add to your fabric stash! The road to Hell is lined with fabric stashes.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

I'm glad to say that is exactly what I have done. First project is underway, but has been a little altered and the end result should hopefully be two projects which will complement one another. The altering is fine as the first project was a bit of an experiment in the first place :)

Prof Marvel

finally posting some of my flea market and thrift store finds:

a stained glass window, now hanging in the window next to our front door:

some furniture, with a fresh coat of shellac, soon to be ensonced in the living room

some axes and axe heads, which will be remodeled:

medical oxy tanks (free) , being used with an  oxy-propane torch and leather pouches:

and some intruiging boxes - a portable bookstand with drawers, drafting tools
and two old microscope slide boxes I re-purposed as cases for my 1858 Remingtons and 1873 Colt

more soon
yhs
prof marvel
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way