News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Perfect Steampunk Car + Fabulous Land Vehicles

Started by Hurricane Annie, January 23, 2017, 01:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markf

My old Smart car/steam punk conversion, both outside and inside the vehicle. From 7 years ago on BG. It was, and still is, my most extensive steampunk project to date. markf

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27501.0.html

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd

Mr.Fancypants

Has anyone seen a steampunk car mod on a VW Thing yet?

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Mr.Fancypants on October 28, 2017, 02:35:33 PM

The thing with the "Thing" (aka Volkswagen Type 181 and known as "Safari" in México), is that those vehicles tend to be very old and rare in my experience, at least in the United States. They could be found more commonly in Mexican beachside resort towns, partly because of how they looked (I mean, they do look like a safari vehicle). I did see a few brand new ones in Mexico City back when I was in Junior high and they looked rather spiffy in shiny red paint with the big cylinder tail lights on, but VW stopped making them in Indonesia and Mexico in 1980; VW's last produced unit came from Hanover Germany in 1983. I think I saw one single specimen here in Austin about 15 years ago in my college years... The only other instance was in Indiana Jones movies  ;D. Only seen one so far, this side of the border, after living in the US for 30 years. But all those flat surfaces would be ideal to add stuff - though that makes it sound like "glueing a cog on it"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_181

JW

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on October 28, 2017, 04:13:05 PM
Quote from: Mr.Fancypants on October 28, 2017, 02:35:33 PM

The thing with the "Thing" (aka Volkswagen Type 181 and known as "Safari" in México), is that those vehicles tend to be very old and rare in my experience, at least in the United States. They could be found more commonly in Mexican beachside resort towns, partly because of how they looked (I mean, they do look like a safari vehicle). I did see a few brand new ones in Mexico City back when I was in Junior high and they looked rather spiffy in shiny red paint with the big cylinder tail lights on, but VW stopped making them in Indonesia and Mexico in 1980; VW's last produced unit came from Hanover Germany in 1983. I think I saw one single specimen here in Austin about 15 years ago in my college years... The only other instance was in Indiana Jones movies  ;D. Only seen one so far, this side of the border, after living in the US for 30 years. But all those flat surfaces would be ideal to add stuff - though that makes it sound like "glueing a cog on it"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_181

JW

that is a groooovy buggy

[even if it reminds me a little of a roll back sardine tin]

RJBowman

The "thing" vehicle has its origins in a WWII military vehicle; Hitler's "People's Car", which was about to go into production in the late 1930's, was instead pressed into service, with a redesigned paneled body. The style was revived in the 1970's to appeal to off-road enthusiasts, and was marketed in the United States with a TV advertising campaign. Like it's sister vehicle, the beetle, is ceased being imported the the U.S. in the late 1970's due to new emissions system requirements that made the vehicle inefficient and impractical.

Fairley B. Strange

Isn't the Safari just an update of the WW2 Kubelwagen?
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Fairley B. Strange on November 17, 2017, 05:14:42 AM
Isn't the Safari just an update of the WW2 Kubelwagen?

The design was obviously inspired from the Kubelwagen, but the Type 181 a/k/a Kurierwagen (Germany) a/k/a Thing (USA) a/k/a Trekker (UK) a/k/a Safari (Mexico) a/k/a Pescaccia (Italy) was actually fairly different than the Kubelwagen, though they shared parts. The former was released in 1968, and the latter in 1940. It seems that the Mexican market played a big part in the decision to make the Type 181 and continue production until 1980, long after other countries had dropped it.

Wiki:

QuoteDuring the 1960s, several European governments began cooperating on development of a vehicle known as the Europa Jeep, a lightweight, amphibious four-wheel drive vehicle that could be mass-produced for use by various national military and government groups. Development of the vehicle proved time-consuming, however, and the West German government was in need of a limited number of light, inexpensive, durable transport vehicles that could fulfill their basic needs while the Europa Jeep was being developed and put into production.

Although Volkswagen had been approached during the 1950s about building such a vehicle, and had subsequently passed on the proposition, the then-current management of the company saw the project as having some amount of potential as a consumer vehicle; Mexican customers were asking for something that could handle rural roads better than the Type 1, which was a large seller in Mexico at the time, and the popularity of VW-based dune buggies within the U.S. made executives think that a durable, fun, off-road-capable vehicle would become attractive to many buyers. VW could keep cost to a minimum and thus maximize profitability by using existing parts.

Like the World War II era Type 82 Kübelwagen, the Type 181 used mechanical parts and a rear-engine platform, manual transmission and a flat-4 engine derived from that of the Type 1.

The floorpans came from the Type 1 Karmann Ghia, which had a wider floorpan than the Beetle. Rear swing axle suspension with reduction gearing from the discontinued split-screen Volkswagen Transporter was used until 1973, when it was replaced with double-jointed axles used by Porsche and IRS semi-trailing arm setup as used on the 1303 and US-spec Beetles.

Civilian sales began in mainland Europe and Mexico during 1971; in the U.S. in 1972; and briefly in Britain in 1975, where it failed to sell well and was dropped fairly quickly.

The model was dropped from the American lineup for 1975 as it failed to meet new, stricter US safety standards. The Type 181 was reclassified as a passenger vehicle, and thus subject to stricter safety standards. The Windshield Intrusion Rule of the 1975 DOT standard called for a greater distance between the front seat occupants and the front window glass.[2]

The Europa Jeep was the result of a NATO plan to have a vehicle whereby each European NATO makers all combined to build a light-duty patrol vehicle.

The Volkswagen 181 was only supposed to fill in, until the time that the Europa Jeep was ready. From 1968 until 1979, over 50,000 Type 181s were delivered to the NATO forces. By 1979 the Europa Jeep project had fallen apart completely and was abandoned, and the West German government began supplementing their consumption of 181s with the new front-engined Type 183 Iltis.

Despite the West German government's switch to the Type 183, European and Mexican sales of the civilian 181 continued through 1980, and several organizations, including NATO, continued to purchase military-spec Type 181 units through 1983, finding their reliability and low purchase and maintenance costs attractive.

1976 Type 181 in Canada auto show (Image, Creative Common License by "2.0")

Hurricane Annie

Thank you Mr Wilhelm  for  your photos and history.  There are not many vehicles that can carry off a sunburst orange like that. Oh roll on the Apocalypse  so we can all drive in one !

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on November 29, 2017, 06:34:36 AM

Thank you Mr Wilhelm  for  your photos and history.  There are not many vehicles that can carry off a sunburst orange like that. Oh roll on the Apocalypse  so we can all drive in one !

Aah! And you haven't even seen the PINK and WHITE ones  :D There was a hotel in the coastal city of Acapulco that was comprised of bungalows built on a steep hill. They'd rent cars to the tourists, to drive down the hill in cobblestone streets. And their cars (Jeeps and Type 181) were known for being painted in pink and white  ;D

Personally I preferred an all red colour scheme.

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on November 29, 2017, 10:47:00 AM

Aah! And you haven't even seen the PINK and WHITE ones  :D There was a hotel in the coastal city of Acapulco that was comprised of bungalows built on a steep hill. They'd rent cars to the tourists, to drive down the hill in cobblestone streets. And their cars (Jeeps and Type 181) were known for being painted in pink and white  ;D

They do look better in the orange / red tones. They  dont have the same appeal in desert or military tones.  Since you  posted  the Volkwagen Type 181, I have spotted them  on the net  in the front of exclusive  British real estate  and other salubrious locations.  You are in esteemed company with your  taste. 

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on November 30, 2017, 02:16:15 AM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on November 29, 2017, 10:47:00 AM

They do look better in the orange / red tones. They  dont have the same appeal in desert or military tones.  Since you  posted  the Volkwagen Type 181, I have spotted them  on the net  in the front of exclusive  British real estate  and other salubrious locations.  You are in esteemed company with your  taste. 

Well, I certainly hope they're salubrious! Otherwise said vehicles would be field medic transport!

chironex

The 181 was simply a project to build a rival to the Country Buggy.

The latter, though, finds few fans; but the Phillipines market editions ("sakbayan") are currently being dug up and reactivated wherever found, due to increased interest in the Beetle. It had nothing you'd expect to find in a car of the period; the end result sounds like what aliens who hadn't used the wheel in centuries would come up with if they were challenged to build one form a kindergartener's description. VW Australia even forgot to mention that they'd dropped the amphibious capability from the project under orders from the parent company, causing one motor magazine test crew to sink...
The Country Buggy, first to carry the nickname "Thing", even had the Kubelwagens designer, who wished to keep evolving his pet project, on board. It didn't make it big just by being a Volkswagen, which they should have realised when it turned out they couldn't make a profit selling the worlds' most popular car.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: chironex on December 02, 2017, 10:51:02 AM
The 181 was simply a project to build a rival to the Country Buggy.

The latter, though, finds few fans; but the Phillipines market editions ("sakbayan") are currently being dug up and reactivated wherever found, due to increased interest in the Beetle. It had nothing you'd expect to find in a car of the period; the end result sounds like what aliens who hadn't used the wheel in centuries would come up with if they were challenged to build one form a kindergartener's description. VW Australia even forgot to mention that they'd dropped the amphibious capability from the project under orders from the parent company, causing one motor magazine test crew to sink...
The Country Buggy, first to carry the nickname "Thing", even had the Kubelwagens designer, who wished to keep evolving his pet project, on board. It didn't make it big just by being a Volkswagen, which they should have realised when it turned out they couldn't make a profit selling the worlds' most popular car.

An ideal dune buggy

J. Wilhelm

James Harrison

I'm sure I saw one of those, many years ago now, at the RAF museum at Cosford.  Apparently it didn't take too long for people to realise that maybe it wasn't a great idea to build cars with essentially a giant blender on the front and they were banned quite quickly. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Miranda.T

Quote from: James Harrison on December 09, 2017, 12:13:29 PM
I'm sure I saw one of those, many years ago now, at the RAF museum at Cosford.  Apparently it didn't take too long for people to realise that maybe it wasn't a great idea to build cars with essentially a giant blender on the front and they were banned quite quickly. 

Definitely! You wouldn't need to do pedestrian crash tests if you're going to be slicing them into small pieces... As a Steampunk idea it's great though - you just need to get it away from pedestrians. What about removing the tires and putting it on rails instead? Have it as a personal railcar, maybe running on raised rails above the streets. And then of course at some point you take it off the rails, add wings and a tail and off you fly. Maybe with a small hydrogen bag above to help with lift...

Yours,
Miranda.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Miranda.T on December 09, 2017, 07:38:17 PM

Definitely! You wouldn't need to do pedestrian crash tests if you're going to be slicing them into small pieces... As a Steampunk idea it's great though - you just need to get it away from pedestrians. What about removing the tires and putting it on rails instead? Have it as a personal railcar, maybe running on raised rails above the streets. And then of course at some point you take it off the rails, add wings and a tail and off you fly. Maybe with a small hydrogen bag above to help with lift...

Yours,
Miranda.

It'd make a nice airship gondola.

RJBowman

What's interesting about this to me is that the car is obviously derived from early airplanes, but in design is also suggestive of fancy horse drawn carriages, which shows me that early airplane fuselages with their wood frames covered in thin wood may have owed something to those old carriages. I tend to think of there being a vehicle evolution that goes from carriage to motorcar to airplane, but in truth the early era of aviation overlapped with the late era of horse drawn travel.

J. Wilhelm

Though by the time these vehicles pictured above were made, a full transition to aluminium fuselages was already in progress - at least in paper. But you're right, there was so much overlap between the plane and the car, that the Wright Brothers could not find engines which were powerful enough - and light enough for the aeroplane. They had to design that from scratch too, so the aircraft engine was a parallel line to the automotive engine.

And had people other than the Wrights come up with full 3-axis control, am appropriate engine and propeller, the overlap would get closer to totality. At least I'm banking on that for my story  ;)

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: RJBowman on December 09, 2017, 09:44:45 PM

What's interesting about this to me is that the car is obviously derived from early airplanes, but in design is also suggestive of fancy horse drawn carriages, which shows me that early airplane fuselages with their wood frames covered in thin wood may have owed something to those old carriages. I tend to think of there being a vehicle evolution that goes from carriage to motorcar to airplane, but in truth the early era of aviation overlapped with the late era of horse drawn travel.

I'm not sure precisely which   companies[boffins on here will be able to expand further],   there are   though    a few that went from carriage building , to automobile manufacture  to  aero design.  Rolls Royce may be one.

Early  motorised carriages [cars] were horse carriages with motors  [ again  others can elaborate here]

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: Miranda.T on December 09, 2017, 07:38:17 PM

Yours,
Miranda.

Oh there is always some one who has the be the  fun constabulary    ;)  and  safety  guardsman.  If someone puts their arm in one of those things they won't be doing it again in a hurry.  :'(

Yours one handedly,
Hurricane

Banfili

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Banfili on December 11, 2017, 10:54:23 PM
All they needed was a mesh grill!
That way a pedestrian hit by a car is diced in little cubes  ;D

James Harrison

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

J. Wilhelm