News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Perfect Steampunk Car + Fabulous Land Vehicles

Started by Hurricane Annie, January 23, 2017, 01:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJBowman

I think that I once posted this to another thread, but may I propose the earliest Citroen cars as being very steampunk?:

It kind of looks like someone tried to build a Volkswagen by hand using sheet metal shop equipment, and that actually is, more or less, what it was.

It was a French initiative to build a sort of "people's car" for the rural poor. The car was designed to be built using common sheet metal working equipment, so that heavy metal stamping dies would not be required, and the body could be contracted to existing metal shops as demand increased. The car was developed in the 1930's, and may have been the last production car to be built primarily with the old style sheet metal working techniques.

A prototype was captured by Hitler's forces, who delivered it to Volkswagen creator Ferdinand Porsche. He reportedly was unimpressed with the design, and considered it inferior to the German people's car.

RJBowman

The Autoped Scooter, favored by stylish suffragettes and New York gangs:

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/autoped-was-worlds-first-scooter.html

Can we get this thread pinned? Through the history of the forum, there have been several similar topics, but none are able to stick.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: RJBowman on February 14, 2019, 07:46:50 PM
*snip*

Can we get this thread pinned? Through the history of the forum, there have been several similar topics, but none are able to stick.

I feel this is a redundant thread, given that most of the posts are basically Steamy by nature. There is a thread in Metaphysical called Perfect Steampunk Car. It was started in 2017, and has the most recent post on the subject by Mr. Bowman on September, last year. My suggestion is to merge both threads, as this one has very few entries.

Pinning in Off Topic, I would not recommend. By convention, Off Topic threads are allowed to die out, with the exception of the subsection "The Off-Topic Historical Society," where we take the most interesting threads and archive them. But once you put it there people tend to ignore those threads... Unless you want to archive it (it's got too few entries to do that), I'd suggest just merging it as I suggest.

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on February 14, 2019, 08:55:32 PM
*snip*

I feel this is a redundant thread, given that most of the posts are basically Steamy by nature. There is a thread in Metaphysical called Perfect Steampunk Car. It was started in 2017, and has the most recent post on the subject by Mr. Bowman on September, last year. My suggestion is to merge both threads, as this one has very few entries.

Pinning in Off Topic, I would not recommend. By convention, Off Topic threads are allowed to die out, with the exception of the subsection "The Off-Topic Historical Society," where we take the most interesting threads and archive them. But once you put it there people tend to ignore those threads... Unless you want to archive it (it's got too few entries to do that), I'd suggest just merging it as I suggest.

I'm in aggreeance  with J. Wilhem's suggestion.   Having these  inspirational mages and  links in one accessible thread  is an excellent idea.   

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Hurricane Annie on February 14, 2019, 09:03:05 PM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on February 14, 2019, 08:55:32 PM
*snip*

I'm in aggreeance  with J. Wilhem's suggestion.   Having these  inspirational mages and  links in one accessible thread  is an excellent idea.   

Then I shall merge topics in 3..2..1..

morozow

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

Hurricane Annie

And HEY PRESTO!!!

Mark 7 Jaguar.  Inspirational  and aspirational

morozow

he Museum "Oldtimer Gallery Of Ilya Sorokin". All-terrain vehicle "Argo", the development of Maxim Melnichenko

The drive scheme is original, as well as the appearance of a unique car. All eight wheels are driven by the engine, which operates to rotate the hydraulic pump, which in turn drives 8 hydraulic motors, each wheel has its own separate hydraulic drive.

More photos https://yuripasholok.livejournal.com/11615833.html
Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?

von Corax

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

The Bullet

Tatra 87,
a real beauty.
8 Cylinders, air-cooled.

I want one.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.

chironex

No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

RJBowman

I found a couple of nice illustrations of the old Autoped scooter:

Everett Shinn, in Puck, 1916

French illustration (Does anyone know the artist?)

I had the idea to combine the two illustrations in photoshop:

I little more work that I had expected; the French girl was larger in proportion to her scooter so they had to be resized separately and recombined.

I think that the concept is good, but the illustration styles don't combine well into a single illustration. It would be cool to get someone like J. Scott Campbell to redraw it.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: RJBowman on April 22, 2019, 06:39:44 PM
I found a couple of nice illustrations of the old Autoped scooter:

Everett Shinn, in Puck, 1916

French illustration (Does anyone know the artist?)

I had the idea to combine the two illustrations in photoshop:

I little more work that I had expected; the French girl was larger in proportion to her scooter so they had to be resized separately and recombined.

I think that the concept is good, but the illustration styles don't combine well into a single illustration. It would be cool to get someone like J. Scott Campbell to redraw it.

Very scandalous! Those leg baring infernal devices in France !

RJBowman

Mercedes Benz has filmed a commercial dramatizing Bertha Benz's first road trip.

Bertha Benz: The Journey That Changed Everything

Dr. Vir Laetus Dentum

to me Chitty Chitty Bang Bang will always be the best Steampunk land vehicle ever made!!!
(I'd post a photo but I still have not figured how to do that here.........)

RJBowman

Quote from: Dr. Vir Laetus Dentum on May 15, 2019, 07:47:28 PM
to me Chitty Chitty Bang Bang will always be the best Steampunk land vehicle ever made!!!
(I'd post a photo but I still have not figured how to do that here.........)

Hurricane Annie

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is a very inspirational movie

newjack

LOOK! jabba the hutt's khetanna had a baby!

Quote from: Newchurch on January 24, 2017, 10:12:37 PM
The Badonkadonk.

Which, sadly, may not be a real thing, although advertised for sale on Amazon.

newjack

OK... no editing posts here... bummer... i'm a hundred revisions per reply kinda guy. i wanted to add this to the conversation...

Hurricane Annie

newjack

i just stumbled across this by accident and had to share it...

1959 Cadillac Cyclone concept car

newjack

well someone already mentioned chitty chitty bang bang.

i'd argue the 60s (to early 70s?) were the "golden age" of steampunk with all those jules verne movies and victorian era retro films...
20,000 leagues under the sea
chitty chitty bang bang
those mangnificent men in their flying machines
those fantastic flying fools
the assassination bureau
around the world in 80 days
first men in the moon
&
the great race... AWESOME steampunk car!!!

THAT is the baddest steampunk car!!!

no one mentioned league of extraordinary gentlemen car

all i planned on adding was the avatar: legend of kora "hotrod"

and forgot about the police car

here's a good one...
(there's plenty of other great ones if you keyword "steam engine car"

here's another good one...

The Bullet

Mine is still under overhaul (been quite some time now)....

3" to 4" Foden timber hauler.

Built in 1974, bought the wreck years ago.

Cylinder base was too weak, axle bearings work out, pump did not work, many more little issues.
The beast is in pieces, awaiting boiler test now.
Steam passages have also been altered to suitable dimensions.

newjack

your ride's missing a big brass canon in the bed

The Bullet

Quote from: newjack on May 18, 2019, 10:06:37 PM
your ride's missing a big brass canon in the bed

Sorry, no space for the cannon there. That's where my seat goes.
Length of the beast is 1.6 metres so the seat is quite comfortable.
Could only mount the cannon on the roof.